FC Halifax v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Dutchgull wrote:Don't let the last few wins hide the fact the squad is a shambles and the manager is a clueless charlatan
Have to agree with you here. There's a risk that the few good results we've been able to achieve in recent weeks will mask the pathetic performances that have been all too common this season. My opinion on who should be offered a contract has not changed, three good results do not make up for months and months of abject and spineless displays. A mass clear out is still needed.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

Neal wrote: Bloody hell made two big boobs in that post then, must proof read in future. Oh well!!
just picked up on this from neal earlier, guess you missed it supes??!!
still keeping the faith
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

bixieupnorth wrote: just picked up on this from neal earlier, guess you missed it supes??!!
Er, yes. :Oops: =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Any footage yet. I must admit in the HBS stand, I didn't see a camera. They couldn't even produce a programme, yet tried to sell a team sheet for 20p. They blamed the printers!! Love it
Lucy
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

brucie wrote: Even Scott laughed at one of my posts - I must be doing something right so surely you can find it in your heart to forgive and forget.
:O :O :O
Yeah, sorry about that - I was obviously pissed.
It won't happen again

;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote:These three back to back wins are welcome indeed, CH said he wouldn't experiment he'd go for the points, he has done that, and so far achieved it, so he does deserve some credit for that. But, and there is a but here, pressure off, playing against sides that may or may not have placed so much importance on results as we have, puts these results into some perspective, so like I said in September when the team won 6 on the spin, some caution has to placed on these results, I do not at this point see them as corner turning results, I was at the Lincoln game, our performance was generally very poor, they just happened to worse, however, these results, should add some momentum.

This season for the large part has been a shambles, and when fans post that opinion there not telling lies, we've lost 16 games so far, our results against bottom 8 teams have been absolutely shocking to be honest, so there's a lot of work to do in the summer to avoid a repeat of this season.
Hidden amongst the Brucie baiting posts is a damn good posting. You can't knock three wins but you can look at the performances and see we're a long way from where we want to be. As well as an unconvincing performance against Lincoln, the performance against Altrincham was even less convincing. It looked as if the Altrincham lads had decided that coming to Torquay on a fine Saturday afternoon was the start of their summer hols !

We'll be able to judge better if there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel next Saturday against Macclesfield who still have something to play for.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Totally agree Tomogull, was about to say the same thing on another thread, and will cover this point in my match thread. The momentum that should be gained from these three back to back wins shouldn't be underestimated, however these results also have to be seen for what they are, Saturday as you rightly point out Macclesfield very much, still have something to play for, they know a win next Saturday and either Eastleigh or FGR fail to win Macclesfield will be in the play-offs, so we'll see whether we're turning the corner at the weekend.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

6667GULL wrote:Don't be fooled by Harding he knows he has no where else to go.
If he is retained he will be back to being injured for most of the season and making little contribution when he does play.
Get rid.
I agree with 6667GULL ....... and Brucie ! :nod:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Missed that post re Harding, are we absolutely sure Haring has no were else to go, a player who comes from Carshalton, has football league experience with MK Dons, conference champion with Aldershot, league 1 with Wycombe, league 2 play-offs with Northampton, wouldn't get offered something, with Aldershot or Woking, maybe newly promoted Bromley, I can see it, although not suggesting any of that would happen.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Not certain at all but based on his performances over the last two seasons would you be forming a queue for his services next season?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

6667GULL wrote:Not certain at all but based on his performances over the last two seasons would you be forming a queue for his services next season?
I'm not suggesting you're wrong in anyway, or I'm right. However look at it through the eyes of a football manager, not a frustrated fan as we all are, Aldershot will not have a huge budget next season they'll want to improve their squad and I'm sure having a player with his experience would be welcome, think the important thing to realise is Harding comes from Carshalton, its 1 hour from Aldershot, so would Harding go their, yes I'm sure he would for the same money he'll get at Torquay.

Bromley again 30 minutes from Harding's birth place, Bromley's manager would have learnt a great deal from being beaten easily by a mid table conference team in the Trophy ;-) he'll know to survive in this league he'll need to improve his squad, would he want Harding yep I'm sure he would, and Harding coming from just down the road, again money may not be such a massive factor.

Woking the least likely of the three, but as above really, they only needed to convert one defeat into a win for the play-offs, having player of Harding experience may have made the difference.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Orange Gull wrote: Have to agree with you here. There's a risk that the few good results we've been able to achieve in recent weeks will mask the pathetic performances that have been all too common this season. My opinion on who should be offered a contract has not changed, three good results do not make up for months and months of abject and spineless displays. A mass clear out is still needed.

:goodpost:

Although the away win at Halifax was pleasing to see, it is still very troubling to read in the WMN match report "but United’s teenage goalkeeper Dan Lavercombe pulled off the first in a long line of fantastic saves". that still leaves me concerned about the overall quality of the team (from management down) and I agree with previous posters that a major clear out is necessary.

If Dan had experienced an "off day" the result may have been much more in line with the rest of the season. We cannot rely on one man to save us (excuse the pun!)
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Well I was there and counted two fantastic saves so think that report is slightly exaggerated. He tipped over a header from close range in the first half and saved a one-on-one with his legs in the second period. The only other save I recall him making was a low shot which was very comfortable. When you consider we scored twice, Ajala missed a sitter and Yeoman had two good chances, it's fair to say we were deserving winners.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote: I'm not suggesting you're wrong in anyway, or I'm right. However look at it through the eyes of a football manager, not a frustrated fan as we all are, Aldershot will not have a huge budget next season they'll want to improve their squad and I'm sure having a player with his experience would be welcome, think the important thing to realise is Harding comes from Carshalton, its 1 hour from Aldershot, so would Harding go their, yes I'm sure he would for the same money he'll get at Torquay.

Bromley again 30 minutes from Harding's birth place, Bromley's manager would have learnt a great deal from being beaten easily by a mid table conference team in the Trophy ;-) he'll know to survive in this league he'll need to improve his squad, would he want Harding yep I'm sure he would, and Harding coming from just down the road, again money may not be such a massive factor.

Woking the least likely of the three, but as above really, they only needed to convert one defeat into a win for the play-offs, having player of Harding experience may have made the difference.
Sometimes players fit in and settle better at some clubs than others. Maybe that's the case with Ben Harding. But he came to us with a reputation of (quote) "the game seems to pass him by" and quite honestly, apart from one or two games, that description fits him perfectly. Yes - he'll get a contract somewhere but on the basis of his performances for us, it will be Hayes & Yeading rather than Aldershot or Bromley (not sure how far Hayes or Yeading are from Carshalton).
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

tommyg wrote:Well I was there and counted two fantastic saves so think that report is slightly exaggerated. He tipped over a header from close range in the first half and saved a one-on-one with his legs in the second period. The only other save I recall him making was a low shot which was very comfortable. When you consider we scored twice, Ajala missed a sitter and Yeoman had two good chances, it's fair to say we were deserving winners.
Agree Tommy. Two great saves, a few well taken catches, and a few shots he could have thrown his cap on.
As for Ajala..... :@ =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468