Torquay v Lincoln Tue 14th

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Poor game. Ball spent alot of time in the air and alot of head tennis but hey a win is a win so can't knock it. Downes was a rock again!!

On another note, was anybody close to the steward on the popside tonight who continuely shouted at the officials all night? It was quite funny!!!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

A slightly better performance overall than the Altrincham match which was a better performance than the Dartford match so moving in the right direction but performance was no better than a mid-table side. I've rarely seen such woeful finishing from two sides in the same match. Not only was Aaron Downes my man of the match, he was also a good captain. I've always felt he should have been made captain to take some of the pressure off Luke Young. Good to see Luke back in the side but McQuilkin very unlucky to be taken off, although he did take a knock shortly before the substitution.

The game definitely had an 'end of season' feel about it. Yet another suspect referee. Pearce's booking was a total nonsense. An innocuous foul and probably the only foul Pearce committed all night.
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

Solid performance tonight. Lincoln were awful, we were marginally better.

A chink of light at a very long and dark tunnel? Maybe. Seen enough in the past two home games to suggest we might be ok next season.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Gulls win and Exeter lose again, someone wont be happy!!....
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

arcadia wrote: NO CAN'T BE.
I presume you will be appropriately embarrassed when CH, against all the odds, leads us to promotion next season.. :)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

A couple of notable absentees from this thread, I miss the usual comments of "knobhead" and :goodpost: from the two disenchanted but eloquent ones ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I didn't go as Its too far from Basingstoke mid week. But reading the comments and listening to the commentary it seems a common theme is that there are a lot of poor sides in this division. And to be honest what Ive seen that backs up my view. I think there are many clubs in the same position or even worse than us in this league. We will start next season with no debt and compared with this league very good facilities. Also if we can get at least 1500 in next season we will be at least in the top half of the attendance league.

Ok.... I dont think CH has got the required skill set for management, but you never know he might with a clean slate get a good start next season. I actually think you only need a small bit of quality to raise yourself above the dross in this league. But that is probably harder to achieve than just words.
TUST MEMBER
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Not a pretty game but a win and another clean sheet for Dan. Not many seemed to complain when we ground out 1-0 wins under Ling!
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Southampton Gull wrote:A couple of notable absentees from this thread, I miss the usual comments of "knobhead" and :goodpost: from the two disenchanted but eloquent ones ;-)
:goodpost: knobhead....

Some people only seem to "sing when we're losing"....

;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Scott Brehaut wrote:
:goodpost: knobhead....

Some people only seem to "sing when we're losing"....

;-)
presumably they've not been heard from recently because their voice has gone :)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

There was a huge difference though between life under Martin Ling 2011-12 season and today Nickbrod. On the 25th October 2011 we saw our team beat Wimbledon 4.0 at home, the team went on to win 20 of their next 27 games, half which were indeed 1.0, the team went into the final run of fixtures sat 2nd place in League 2, us fans had nothing to complain about, mind you who remembers coley posting around that time.

We saw Martin Lings team that season play with great defensive organization, there was some pattern to our play, and the team counter attacked with some quality. Under CH this season we've never seen defensive organization, we've morphed into aimless hoofball team, and apart from the opening minute where was the quality last night, where has it been by and large all season, last night was our 8th win since last September in the conference against teams packed full of plumbers, all the proof we need the quality has been sadly lacking.

Did we grind out a 1.0 win last night, or beat a team, and full deserved I might add, and fully thankful for, who are currently worse that us.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Gullscorer wrote: I presume you will be appropriately embarrassed when CH, against all the odds, leads us to promotion next season.. :)
His best chance was this season and he's blown it. :keepie:
If he wins it next year I'll be one of the first to congratulate him I support the club. :keepie:
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

No, his best chance is next season when the slate is wiped clean and he has zero hangers on with stupid wages.

STIP
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Scot you are a true supporter but I'm sure you would make a better judgement if you had watched all the games.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

With respect, I don't need to have watched the games to know that the wages available to CH were next to nothing due to hangers on.

I'm not saying we didn't underachieve - I'm fully aware we did - but let's see what he can do with an almost clean slate next season.

STIP