Torquay v Altrincham

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Torquay v Altrincham

Post by Dave »

After a disappointing Easter bank holiday weekend, that saw The Gulls pick up just one point from Dartford and Aldershot, we now welcome Altrincham to Plainmoor. Altrincham's recent seven point haul has guaranteed them safety and a place in the newly rebranded National League, Altrincham on current form are predicted to finish 13th and comfortable mid table finish, which I would suggest is some way ahead of expectation at Moss Lane, especially after their start to the season that saw Alty beaten eight times in their first twelve games, Altrincham have Damien Reeves amongst their starting line up currently the 4th highest goal scorer in the conference with 18 goals so far.

Featured Altrincham player

Stuart Coburn; Stuart Coburn position goalkeeper, born 5th May 1976, is Altrincham's all time appearance record holder, Stuart joined Alty in 1997, but left to join Leigh RMI 2002, However after his release from Leigh RMI in 2003 Stuart Coburn re-joined Altrincham and I believe he's been their ever since, Stuart Coburn appears to have had an eventful career, as goalkeeper he has scored twice, was brought on as an outfield substitute once during the 1998 season, and surprisingly for a goalkeeper was once suspended mid season after picking five yellow cards, a true servant to his club and non-league football.

Current form

Altrincham L-L-D-W-W-L

H, Wrexham 1.4
A, Dover 1.2
H, FC Halifax 0.0
A, Dartford 2.1
H, Southport 2.0
A, Gateshead 0.1

Last Time out

Gateshead 1 v 0 Altrincham

17 Parton
06 Leather
16 Marshall Booked
26 Sinnott (Crowther - 76' )
03 Griffin
05 Havern
25 Cavanagh Booked
04 Moult
11 Clee (Richman - 46' )
07 Lawrie
10 Reeves (Perry - 76' )

Substitutes
01 Coburn
08 Richman
09 Gillespie
14 Perry
19 Crowther

Altrincham manager Lee Sinnott Lee Sinnott is clearly delighted in steering his team to conference safety, and looking now at achieving a points target; http://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/sp ... jail_card/

“Sometimes you need a get out of jail card but it is very pleasing to have done it ourselves, especially after our first half-dozen games, and I am delighted for a great bunch of lads.

"We're not finished yet and I have a points target to aim for. It was a strange game and sometimes, you get a bit more than you deserve”.

From a Torquay point of view

Not sure why I just do not leave this bit empty, but I won't. Just when you think things couldn't get worse they do, as if our current form and league position weren't bad enough, the arrival of Paul Sturrock gave us hope, only to be dashed four days later, on brighter side, young youth team goalkeeper Dan Lavercombe made his senior debut, and by all accounts did very well. I believe that both Luke Young and Duane Ofori-Acheampong will be suspended for this game, and with Ryan Bowman and John Campbell both missing games through injury recently this could leave us short up top for this game, the other question is, will Martin Rice be resorted to the starting line up after being rested Monday, love to be more positive and tell the world how we're going to win this game, but I'm sure Altrincham will be fancying their chances here.

And an appeal to Scott Brehaut, mate, you keep predicting a 3.0 win for Torquay, and we keep getting beat, can please predict a 0.3 defeat win might win, cheers. :)

Current form

Torquay L-W-L-L-D-L

H, Braintree 1.5
H, Kidderminster 2.1
A, Woking 2.3
A, Southport 1.2
H, Dartford 1.1
A, Aldershot 0.2

Last time out

Aldershot 2 v 0 Torquay

31 Lavercombe
29 Dawson
05 Pearce
06 Harding
25 Ives
11 Cameron (Daniel - 58' )
04 Downes
16 Richards
07 Briscoe (Prynn - 67' )
22 McQuilkin
10 Ajala Booked (Yeoman - 73' )

Substitutes
01 Rice
14 Yeoman
15 Prynn
20 Daniel
26 Gueguen

Torquay manager Chris Hargreaves http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 79370.aspx

"We have four games to go in the season and still plenty to play for. I've got to start looking at things and possession is nonsense if you don't score goals." Well lets hope so Chris, current form is predicting a 19th place finish for us, and you have a massive summer coming up.

Previous meeting this season

Altrincham 2 v 1 Torquay

Head to Head

Torquay 2 wins, Altrincham 1 win, draws 2
Formerly known as forevertufc
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Both Campbell and Bowman available. My guess is Lavercombe will play in all the remaining games unless injured or fouls up.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Bowman and Campbell available is a massive boost for us.

Something I'd go for:
Lavercombe
Dawson Pearce Downes Ives
Ajala Richards McQuilkin Daniel
Bowman Campbell

There's been a lack of balance in the team in my opinion. Two quick wingers and Bowman/Campbell front partnership would hopefully bring goals. There's no point playing long balls and whipping in crosses with Ajala and Briscoe up front (all due respect to them). Briscoe is a talented guy but I'm unsure where he is best played, no.10 perhaps? I'd stick with Lavercombe and give him the experience while there's 'no pressure' at the end of the season. Good form now would be welcome but wouldn't necessarily affect how we start next season IMO with big changes planned by CH.

This is a chance for players to prove themselves. There are a number of players (Geugeun for example) that I am 50/50 on about whether they should be offered a deal next season. Time will tell!
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

I'd give some of the younger players more time since we cant go down or go up now. See how they do and see if they are up to this level and prepare for next season.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I reckon 3-0 to the Torquay ;-)

Just pleased I've not put any money on it Dave :)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

The positive news is that it doesn't appear that Altrincham have any former Gulls players who would score against us .......
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Scott Brehaut wrote:I reckon 3-0 to the Torquay ;-)

Just pleased I've not put any money on it Dave :)
That's put the dampeners on it Scott, I suppose by the law of averages you'll get it right one week, could this finally be your week to say, you heard it here first. :)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thanks for the teams news nickbrod, I searched high and low couldn't find any. Tommo notice I've featured and goalkeeper this week, just doing my bit to help try and secure a win. ;-) Surely he can't score against us.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

The pressure is now off the squad for the rest of the season, if we are lacking talent we will continue to lose, if it was a lack of character we should start to win a couple of games.
Last edited by kevgull on 11 Apr 2015, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Got more enthusiasm for the Grand National, at least they can be sent to the glue factory after. Anyone for a burger? Lets get the season over and hopefully start afresh in August.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Forest gull »

Almost don't care about this match now. After 40 years, I just want the season over.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Going today, will be good to see Lavercombe play

COYY

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

LOL, 2.0 up, maybe this could be Scott's week. and five signed in, that's how bad it's got.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Forest gull »

One nil to th Gulls. Daniel.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero