Aldershot v Torquay Easter Monday 3PM KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
FavGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by FavGull »

At the game today, first time since Welling over Christmas, wanted to get one more in this season, thoroughly depressing though it was.

Well, I say that as I went with incredibly low expectations, which by the end of the game were mostly met. However at half time I was still moderately upbeat. Their goal was either amazing or a complete fluke, but either way. After that, Aldershot may have shaded the half but we did ok at times, and I thought the formation was working to some degree, albeit we didn't have the players in all positions to carry it off well because either a) they were unavailable, b) we don't have them anyway or c) if we do, their confidence is shot to sh*t or they don't seem to have a clue what they are supposed to be doing. I think 4-4-2 is basically dead as a formation, and although all 3 in midfield today had issues, there was something resembling solidity. I accept though that the players are probably confused with all the changes to personnel/positions/formations.

Lavercombe was the positive, did what was asked of him well, a very good save in the second half, came for some crosses and got a fist on them, kicked well - would be happy to see him in for the rest of the season. Could be a good back up next season?

I haven't been to many games this season, but I guess it's fair to say that the second half was a return to how we have been playing regularly of late. Two things stuck out for me. Firstly, how easily Aldershot got in behind us on a number of occasions, especially early in the half. Pearce (who I thought was ok up to his glaring miss) was awful positionally a few times during this period, and Downes, for all the times he gets his head on the ball, makes far too many errors on the ground and cannot recover, and I think he in particular leaves his inexperienced full back exposed. I'm not sure if I should criticise Ives for this as well, I think he has probably had enough game time so yes. I'm waffling, but basically rip up the defence and start again. Good as Pearce was and despite all the fans Downes has, I can't see a future for us with them at the club. Angus and an experienced, solid centre back please. Probably new full backs too. Secondly, why oh why do you ever bring on a sub when you are defending a corner ffs! Seem to remember this the last time we were at Aldershot. Not only a sub, but a change of formation and positions at the same time. By the time I worked out what we were doing we were 2-0 down, and i'm sure my brain works faster than some of our players'. And Ajala off at that stage, not sure about that.

First two subs were very predictable, Aldershot probably worked them out before the game, I pretty much had, and largely ineffective. But after the 2nd goal, I, like many other no doubt, had to struggle to maintain interest and focus. So depressing.

Not sure where we go from here. Hopefully positive and exciting times ahead. Certainly the doors should be revolving a lot. But how many times in the last 2+ years have we all thought we have hit rock bottom, and how many times have we been proven wrong. At least on the pitch until August nothing now matters greatly, and the club can concentrate on sorting out the mess, cracks and holes off the pitch.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Really enjoyed the game today. A hard fought victory against a resolute Newport side. The most noticable thing was that we have a manager who can actually change the game. The rather splendid Mr Tisdale must be due all the plaudits as his substitutions certainly won the game.
Level with Plymouth on points now, I really think we can make the play offs so should be an exciting end of season.
I did catch the after match interview with Mr Hargreaves who did say that his team were comfortable until the first goal went in. Imagine my shock when I actually heard that the first goal was scored after four minutes.
Still at least it seems like it may have been an improved performance as you must have dictated the game (well at least for the first three minutes anyway!!)
Perhaps with Mr Sturrock waiting in the wings (or on the coach!) things will improve but with old Luggys health on the wane I have ny doubts that this will be the answer.
Anyway good luck for the rest of the season, you never know you might even pick up a point or two (well if the opposition turn up with seven men perhaps!)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

brucie wrote:Really enjoyed the game today. A hard fought victory against a resolute Newport side. The most noticable thing was that we have a manager who can actually change the game. The rather splendid Mr Tisdale must be due all the plaudits as his substitutions certainly won the game.
Level with Plymouth on points now, I really think we can make the play offs so should be an exciting end of season.
I did catch the after match interview with Mr Hargreaves who did say that his team were comfortable until the first goal went in. Imagine my shock when I actually heard that the first goal was scored after four minutes.
Still at least it seems like it may have been an improved performance as you must have dictated the game (well at least for the first three minutes anyway!!)
Perhaps with Mr Sturrock waiting in the wings (or on the coach!) things will improve but with old Luggys health on the wane I have ny doubts that this will be the answer.
Anyway good luck for the rest of the season, you never know you might even pick up a point or two (well if the opposition turn up with seven men perhaps!)
:rofl:

Brucie you're a card.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:Really enjoyed the game today. A hard fought victory against a resolute Newport side. The most noticable thing was that we have a manager who can actually change the game. The rather splendid Mr Tisdale must be due all the plaudits as his substitutions certainly won the game.
Ha - you're dangling your bait, Brucie, but here's one who isn't going to bite. I did listen to the commentary of the second half of the City game and I have to concede it sounded rather more exciting than what was not happening at Aldershot. Also have to say that I have always respected Paul Tisdale as a manager, in spite of his weird dress sense.
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Why post this Brucie in an attempt to rub it in? It is because you WANT to be right. You BELIEVE you are right and you WANT to be right that all you have said about Torquay these past few years is somehow as you predicted. Well you aren't the only one who predicted it. I too did and so did many others, others who won't go on to support other sides like you and I and who will stay silent yet still give their full support to TUFC next season as they always have done. So we predicted the club is in decline and that Knill and Hargreaves were **** useless. To be fair ANYONE without any knowledge of football could have predicted this months into each managers tenure. We aren't that special mate.

I'm back in the groove as a Minsterman now and it's where I belong but for you, I don't feel it's about soul searching. I feel it's about always wanting to be right and always wanting to hold someone accountable for your own disappointments. I don't wish any ill on TUFC and really really hope that the appointment of Sturrock heralds a new era in the fortunes of Torquay. Why would it make me feel better to wish otherwise? Sure there are some real knobheads use this forum, arguably i'm one of them but there are also far too many great and loyal people / fans who use this forum who have been through the mill in the past few years who WON'T be turned to another club. Not for a managers natty dress sense nor for the fact that they love Roman cities. They shouldn't be mocked let alone on their own turf.

Brucie is bitter and feels affronted by the actions or lack of by Torquay United these past few years and i'm with him 100% on this. In fact regarding the Sturrock thing, I agree with Brucie. **** me I sound like Wivelgull now. Whoever HE is. I have a strong feeling the Sturrock 'thingy' is a huge white elephant that will buy some time. I am cynical but this is the erstwhile engaging board members of TUFC who couldn't run a bath let alone a football club. Those who are suddenly hoping for a better future on hearing the Sturrock news are in for a large shock. Nothing is going to change.

Sad that it takes 'defectors' like Brucie and myself to stir up the old TUFC passion in a sense but regardless, nobody with any ounce of common sense should see it their place to come on here and start throwing shit around. Like others have said, it's called Trolling.

The only thing I know about Trolls is that they belong in Norwegian folklore and that is where they should stay.

I do really hope that the Sturrock appointment turns out to be the beginning of the revival and i'll be watching to see what happens. I don't believe it will be but that's just my opinion but I hope i'm wrong and next season you can begin with a new lease of life, a new set up and a new set of players. This means no CH but also none or minimal number of the current board. I 'm not sure both of these can be achieved which still leaves the club hamstrung but if it can then it's game on.

For the record, I actually believe that Hargreaves pound for pound is a far worse manager that Alan Knill. Knill was rock bottom.

You see why CH needed to go a long long time ago then yes?

Sturrock. I bloody well hope those clowns in charge haven't hoodwinked you all AGAIN!

COYY!!!!!
WestKentGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by WestKentGull »

A truly awful performance all round. Nice to see Mr Hargreaves sat on the bench before the game, hands in pockets, not a care in the world. I know we had nothing to play for - but, f**k me, show some bloody passion man. What really surprised me though is the number of us who bothered to turn up for this... we knew what was going to happen from the off. But we still turn up. We still care about the club - unlike the bloody manager *sic*.

I was planning to get down to the 'Bay for the last game of the season but will not bother wasting my hard earned money watching that shower of shite.

Will be glad when this season is over.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Aldershot fans behind goal were singing throughout the game. Their drummers were excellent. Aldershot has had some difficult seasons, but their fans sounded quite cheerful yesterday.
I also will be getting a another season ticket because I still love Torquay United .
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Good post, but I seem to remember that you promised an interesting, exciting & informative match report. next time more detail please!

Massive game for Villa tonight, we need the Holt End to be buzzing.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I'm Wivelgull! No, I'm Wivelgull! No, I'm Wivelgull! No, I'm Wivelgull! No, I'm Wivelgull!
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

tomogull wrote: Ha - you're dangling your bait, Brucie, but here's one who isn't going to bite. I did listen to the commentary of the second half of the City game and I have to concede it sounded rather more exciting than what was not happening at Aldershot. Also have to say that I have always respected Paul Tisdale as a manager, in spite of his weird dress sense.
To be honest I would be happy for our manager to dress in a mankini if it meant we played well.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Mr Yorkie, brucie is wivelgull and wivelgull is brucie - you should know that!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Wivelgull - why did you stop going this season? - have you perhaps had enough? - it was a very wise decision because it isn't actually easy to comprehend how bad it is.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

brucie - I actually stopped going last season after a string of such dismal performances that the thought of driving one hundred miles filled me with horror. Then, about a year ago I moved back north and now support (as I have done since 1956) Whitby Town of the Northern Premier League. You won't be surprised that, on the whole, the standard is higher than that at Plainmoor. I supported (and still do) TUFC from the moment I arrived (March 1963) to the moment I left (April 2014) but after having experienced the great days of the 60s nothing really has been the same since (i.e. since 1972 when we were relegated). O.K. There have been occasional moments, but nothing like the days of the great Robin Stubbs.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Formerly known as forevertufc
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Does anyone on this forum actually live in Torbay?
TUST MEMBER