Torquay v Dartford

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

brucie wrote:I have no idea how we got on as I went to a local game. I caught the preamble and a small bit of the aftermatch reaction. Inetereating that Chris Fleet was saying that the floating supporters will go and watch Plymouth or Exeter because there is "no entertainment on offer" and the football "was the worst he had seen in thirty years".
So this isn't me saying it - this is one of the commentators.
Actually a crowd of 1700 is fantastic in the circumstances and i doff my cap for those who forked out their hard earnt money to watch this shower of shite.
All I can tell you is that one of my sons (despite getting sent off) was happy in the pub afterwards. He was waitiing on a Dartford equaliser for £138 on an accumalator. He said "I knew Torquay wouldn't win".
Thats sums it up really - we are an embarassment.
Quiet troll!

McQuilkin and Briscoe have cost us 3 points both blasting over with great goalscoring chances that would have wrapped the game up!

Their goal - all Rice's fault for me, gets out done by a long range shot thats not moving fast and fails to react well to the loose ball, another 2 points he's cost us imo.
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Forever - the difference is I would assume that you live in the vicinity of Torquay? Clearly in those circumstances you would probably not start going to Exeter or Plymouth. Indeed if I lived in Torbay I would no doubt still be turning up every game. The issue is that I do not live close to the area so I refuse to make the effort to go anymore, just as Wivelgull who has seen the light and not attended a game all season.
Its just not worth it anymore.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Can anybody explain to me why Prynn was being readied to sub when the final whistle went?

He was stripped and ready and waiting with the fourth official so I can only assume that it would have been a protective move as Ofori Acheampong had been on the pitch about nine minutes and had already been booked and then been in an unseemly tangle with a defender. If he'd been sent off that really would have capped the day.

Otherwise what was the point?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

gateman49 wrote:Can anybody explain to me why Prynn was being readied to sub when the final whistle went?

He was stripped and ready and waiting with the fourth official so I can only assume that it would have been a protective move as Ofori Acheampong had been on the pitch about nine minutes and had already been booked and then been in an unseemly tangle with a defender. If he'd been sent off that really would have capped the day.

Otherwise what was the point?
Another Hargreaves mystery, Gateman. We're playing the side next to bottom in the league who looked as if they should be bottom so surely it would have been the perfect time to give young Prynn 20 - 30 minutes playing time. Tisdale at Exeter isn't afraid to throw in young players, mostly quite successfully, so why don't we give Prynn and the two other lads (can't remember their names) opportunities between now and the end of the season? Surely they couldn't be any worse than what passed as football this afternoon ?
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I know this has been well and truly done to death. But when you have a playing budget that is overwhelmingly skewed to 4 or 5 high earners (who are crap) then its a hard job.

However, I don't think CH is management material as well, but we cant afford to get rid because of a stupid contract which I hope we NEVER repeat again. And if TUST are involved with any future decisions I will vote against such contracts if we get the chance.

Agree totally with the leadership point, Downes should have been captain, that was an early decision CH got completely wrong.

Its been surprising CH hasn't been able to transfer his inspirational / motivational / and determintational skills he DID HAVE AS A PLAYER to management.

I think the players know they wont be here next season, I think they have lost the will, and they know we are safe, no one will catch us. So its playing out time. But Im a bit surprised being professionals they are not looking to further their careers and trying to at least look good in the hope of contracts elsewhere.
TUST MEMBER
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Neal wrote:I know this has been well and truly done to death. But when you have a playing budget that is overwhelmingly skewed to 4 or 5 high earners (who are crap) then its a hard job.

However, I don't think CH is management material as well, but we cant afford to get rid because of a stupid contract which I hope we NEVER repeat again. And if TUST are involved with any future decisions I will vote against such contracts if we get the chance.

Agree totally with the leadership point, Downes should have been captain, that was an early decision CH got completely wrong.

Its been surprising CH hasn't been able to transfer his inspirational / motivational / and determintational skills he DID HAVE AS A PLAYER to management.

I think the players know they wont be here next season, I think they have lost the will, and they know we are safe, no one will catch us. So its playing out time. But Im a bit surprised being professionals they are not looking to further their careers and trying to at least look good in the hope of contracts elsewhere.
Surely the time is nigh to give A. Trialist a run out for the rest of the season, after all he has done very well in Scotland, & scored a shed load of goals. Best to put the guys that won't be getting a new contract on gardening leave, & trying something different.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Neal wrote:I know this has been well and truly done to death. But when you have a playing budget that is overwhelmingly skewed to 4 or 5 high earners (who are crap) then its a hard job.

But Im a bit surprised being professionals they are not looking to further their careers and trying to at least look good in the hope of contracts elsewhere.
You're not wrong Neal, I, in fact most accept the numbers of so called high earners in the squad have presented some difficulties, also if we look at the gap between the " the clubs who have " in League2 and the conference full stop the gap is getting wider season on season, and reality of the situation suggests the gap between the clubs who have and have not in League 2 seems to be growing, so I, and most of us would attach some sympathy if we we're still a League 2 club.

But we're not, we're a conference club now, and I do not have problem accepting the conference is likely where we'll stay with out a rich benefactor for some time, but what I can't accept is the fact we've not competed with clubs his season who have less than nothing compared to us, we plead poverty, we cry about budgetary constraints, it's embarrassing, tell it to the Dartford manager, or Dover, Braintree, Southport, and others, they'd laugh so hard, and their response would be something like, do you not think I'd love to have my players in for full time training, do you not think I'd love to pay players an average of £375 a week, because I can't pay anything like that, do you not think I'd love to have the facilities you've got at Torquay, because I haven't, I'd even love the use of your team bus, instead of the tin can on wheels we get to use, and that's what we're not competing with at the moment, but should be with ease, regardless of 4-5 high earners we couldn't shift.

The biggest problem this season is our results against the bottom eight of the conference, by and large probably with the exception of Aldershot we're talking about the absolute pits of clubs who have nothing, no, you will not win all of those games, and yes you will lose the odd game and draw the odd game as well, but from those 16 games we should have an average of at least 3 points a game if not 4 points a game, we've played 15 of those 16 games and averaged so far 0.8 points a game, if we had of achieved a 3 point average of the bottom eight teams our play-off place would be assured, and we would still have a chance to win the league.

As for players staying in professional football, Dale Tonge I believe is studying towards his professional refereeing licenses, often heard it said that ex=professionals would make the best referees why don't more go down that route, well maybe Dale Tonge is about to, who knows, as for Pearce and Harding, no matter what we think these two will have no problem getting deals elsewhere trust me, Downes, I'm hoping some thing can be worked out and he stays with us, believe it or not statistically Downes has the most defensive clearances in the entire conference.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

brucie wrote:Forever - the difference is I would assume that you live in the vicinity of Torquay? Clearly in those circumstances you would probably not start going to Exeter or Plymouth. Indeed if I lived in Torbay I would no doubt still be turning up every game. The issue is that I do not live close to the area so I refuse to make the effort to go anymore, just as Wivelgull who has seen the light and not attended a game all season.
Its just not worth it anymore.
I live in Newton Abbot 10 minutes drive away so I except that Bruice , for some who live closer to say Plymouth or Exeter who may never have been a die hard TUFC fan they might revert to watching those clubs, however for me, I'm a Torquay fan and always will be, if I lived next to Sid James I still wouldn't go in, if I moved to wales I'd still be TUFC.
Formerly known as forevertufc
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

just want to add another view point to yesterday's game. The players all wore commemorative T shirts for Duane's sister during the warm up and I hope that it helped Duane at this very sad and difficult time. I believe the players were trying to pull together. There was a pre kick off huddle and the goal celebration was a ten player hug and pile up. Some very good chances were created but the finishing was erratic caused perhaps by desperation and too much emotion maybe.

The atmosphere was a mixture of groans and clapping, but the "yellow army" chants kept coming , so that was good. The boy winning the half time crossbar challenge was good. He went up because an old fella behind had the winning ticket, but didn't want to do the challenge. When the boy came back to the popside the old fella, who he didn't know, took the £250 off him and then counted out a bit of the money and gave it back to the boy! Personally I would have let the boy keep all the winnings.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Forever as usual has done a balanced and considered response to Brucie, but from some old Brucie does come in for some flack.

He is not a 'floating' supporter. For 50 odd years he has been dragging himself off to Plainmoor on a regular basis and has experienced the torment of many of us. As a teenager he lived in Paignton but in adulthood he has not lived anywhere near Torbay, so has travelled thousands of miles following his team. He would have spent in the region of £125,000 following TUFC in that time. Makes your eyes water doesn't it?

Basically he gets stick for stating the bloody obvious. When he says that the team is crap he is .... well being truthful. When he says the manager isn't up to it he is .... being truthful. It is not something we wish to hear or acknowledge .... but it is the truth.

I have travelled a couple of times with Brucie to away games when I worked and lived in North Devon back in the 1980's.

I found him to be extremely knowledgable about the club and passionate in his support.

I can see why people react in the way they do to some of Brucie's posts .... but equally I would bet that many who post replies have never met the man behind the poster name.

When he posts in the way he does I am sure it is because he is hurting inside at what our club has become.

I know many will not agree with what I have just said. No worries, that is the nature of a forum. Just be polite when you slag me off. Please! If we all had the same view it would be a very boring forum with nothing to discuss and the 'good post' symbol would be very much over used.

.... and Brucie going to St James Park? It is closer to North Devon, one of his children was at the club as a youngster, and they are a competent Football League club ........ but I know Brucie would soon get homesick! ;-)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

stefano wrote:Forever as usual has done a balanced and considered response to Brucie, but from some old Brucie does come in for some flack.

He is not a 'floating' supporter. For 50 odd years he has been dragging himself off to Plainmoor on a regular basis and has experienced the torment of many of us. As a teenager he lived in Paignton but in adulthood he has not lived anywhere near Torbay, so has travelled thousands of miles following his team. He would have spent in the region of £125,000 following TUFC in that time. Makes your eyes water doesn't it?

Basically he gets stick for stating the bloody obvious. When he says that the team is crap he is .... well being truthful. When he says the manager isn't up to it he is .... being truthful. It is not something we wish to hear or acknowledge .... but it is the truth.

I have travelled a couple of times with Brucie to away games when I worked and lived in North Devon back in the 1980's.

I found him to be extremely knowledgable about the club and passionate in his support.

I can see why people react in the way they do to some of Brucie's posts .... but equally I would bet that many who post replies have never met the man behind the poster name.

When he posts in the way he does I am sure it is because he is hurting inside at what our club has become.

I know many will not agree with what I have just said. No worries, that is the nature of a forum. Just be polite when you slag me off. Please! If we all had the same view it would be a very boring forum with nothing to discuss and the 'good post' symbol would be very much over used.

.... and Brucie going to St James Park? It is closer to North Devon, one of his children was at the club as a youngster, and they are a competent Football League club ........ but I know Brucie would soon get homesick! ;-)

:goodpost:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

forevertufc wrote: You're not wrong Neal, I, in fact most accept the numbers of so called high earners in the squad have presented some difficulties, also if we look at the gap between the " the clubs who have " in League2 and the conference full stop the gap is getting wider season on season, and reality of the situation suggests the gap between the clubs who have and have not in League 2 seems to be growing, so I, and most of us would attach some sympathy if we we're still a League 2 club.

But we're not, we're a conference club now, and I do not have problem accepting the conference is likely where we'll stay with out a rich benefactor for some time, but what I can't accept is the fact we've not competed with clubs his season who have less than nothing compared to us, we plead poverty, we cry about budgetary constraints, it's embarrassing, tell it to the Dartford manager, or Dover, Braintree, Southport, and others, they'd laugh so hard, and their response would be something like, do you not think I'd love to have my players in for full time training, do you not think I'd love to pay players an average of £375 a week, because I can't pay anything like that, do you not think I'd love to have the facilities you've got at Torquay, because I haven't, I'd even love the use of your team bus, instead of the tin can on wheels we get to use, and that's what we're not competing with at the moment, but should be with ease, regardless of 4-5 high earners we couldn't shift.

The biggest problem this season is our results against the bottom eight of the conference, by and large probably with the exception of Aldershot we're talking about the absolute pits of clubs who have nothing, no, you will not win all of those games, and yes you will lose the odd game and draw the odd game as well, but from those 16 games we should have an average of at least 3 points a game if not 4 points a game, we've played 15 of those 16 games and averaged so far 0.8 points a game, if we had of achieved a 3 point average of the bottom eight teams our play-off place would be assured, and we would still have a chance to win the league.

As for players staying in professional football, Dale Tonge I believe is studying towards his professional refereeing licenses, often heard it said that ex=professionals would make the best referees why don't more go down that route, well maybe Dale Tonge is about to, who knows, as for Pearce and Harding, no matter what we think these two will have no problem getting deals elsewhere trust me, Downes, I'm hoping some thing can be worked out and he stays with us, believe it or not statistically Downes has the most defensive clearances in the entire conference.
:goodpost:
Nice one Dave.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

stefano wrote:Forever as usual has done a balanced and considered response to Brucie, but from some old Brucie does come in for some flack.

Wouldn't surprise but I don't agree. I think the team are crap, I think the manager is not up to it etc f ing etc! But.... I don't try and encourage other TUFC supporters to switch to Exeter, which he did recently in one post.

But, Brucie quoted The commentary about supporting his view of watching Exeter or Plymouth instead, I pointed out that the commentary referred to Floating supporters, so if he wants to use this to back up his switch to Exeter he is now a floating supporter. He did it himself.

The guy moans and moans and moans, and has done so for years on here. He might be right, but he is "RUBBING IT IN" Now he is an Exeter fan which I cannot accept!!!

I havnt met the guy, and don't want to either, because we wont get on, that's for sure. Doesn't bother me and it wont bother him. I don't live nearby either actually so I could easily swtich to anyone up here who are performing better this season. That's not what a club football fan does, but a floating fan does.
TUST MEMBER
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Neal wrote: I don't live nearby either actually so I could easily switch to anyone up here who are performing better this season. That's not what a club football fan does, but a floating fan does.
I know. I live 10 minutes drive from Home Park but I won't set foot in the place unless Torquay United are playing there. I'd rather go to see Ivybridge Town. Some may point out though it's more the standard I am used to! ;-)
yeovilgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by yeovilgull »

Some good posts above.

Forever managed to confuse me with the maths (not difficult) saying we should have averaged 3-4 points a game against the lower teams. Think I know what you mean and we have certainly done a lot better against the teams higher up the table, is it because we raise our game against them and the lower teams do the same to us or do we underestimate the opposition and think we just need to turn up for three points.
I also know what you mean about not switching who you support. I live a mile from Yeovil's ground but haven't stepped inside Huish Park since we met in L2 a few years ago, even when Championship football was on offer. It just didn't appeal. I would rather travel 1 1/2 hours to Plainmoor but, like many, those trips have become less frequent with the inevitable lack of entertainment, poor results and a feeling of wasting time and money. I will still go a few times a season as it's in the blood rather than a short trip up the road.

Neal, I think it was, mentioned CH's contract and there seems an opinion on here that he is on a 12 month rolling contract. Does anyone know this for sure? I seem to remember at the time he took the job talk of him being here until the end of next season. Also in one of his most recent interviews he says he intends to stay and see out his contract. If it was a rolling one surely that wouldn't be possible as you would always be a year away from it ending.

I can't see any truth in the rumours around Paul Sturrock. Until the boardroom situation and potential investors is sorted out it can never be more than a rumour. I would suggest he was probably there yesterday for one of four reasons 1) He was scouting for someone (player or reporting for forthcoming opponents),2) he just wanted to take in a game on a Saturday afternoon and ours happened to be one of the most local 3) he is aware of the potentially precarious position CH is in and wants to gain sufficient knowledgeable of the players here in the event he gets the opportunity to apply for the Manager or Director in Football role or 4) he is part of a consortium interested in investing in the club.