Southport v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Ready for Hargreaves interview. What wil he say?

1. Nobody died.

2. Players suffering the effects of a long journey.

3. I cannot give up on the players

4. Cannot compete with Southports budget.

5. Gameplan goes out the window after th red card

6. Couldn't play are normal ga,e in the conditions

Tosspot!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Great then you will be at Eastleigh and I will be at Exeter - Eastleigh are a park side and when their benefactor pull out they will be playing Bideford.
As for us - do you think our league position is acceptable? We are a disgrace. We are being run by a bunch of morons from the board down to the management. It is pathetic. We have dropped 25% of our home attendances because we are complete shite.
We might be bad BUT there is still no excuse for losing to no hopers every week.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

League position acceptable? I predicted it. It was obvious to me a couple of years ago that Baker and Phillips were steering us towards the inevitable. Just because they tried to push Thea into the limelight to shield themselves from blame doesn't excuse their role in all of this. We had a chance to move forwards but their blinkered outlook and amateurish decisions propelled us to where we now find ourselves. Blame Hargreaves all you like but the rot set in long before he was handed the managers job.

As for Eastleigh, like I've tried to point out before, they are building solid foundations and they will be a league club long before we have a chance of saying it again.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Southampton Gull wrote:League position acceptable? I predicted it. It was obvious to me a couple of years ago that Baker and Phillips were steering us towards the inevitable. Just because they tried to push Thea into the limelight to shield themselves from blame doesn't excuse their role in all of this. We had a chance to move forwards but their blinkered outlook and amateurish decisions propelled us to where we now find ourselves. Blame Hargreaves all you like but the rot set in long before he was handed the managers job.

As for Eastleigh, like I've tried to point out before, they are building solid foundations and they will be a league club long before we have a chance of saying it again.
Agree with all of that. Hurts like hell to see what is happening, but you are right. Any chance of an award for bore of the season? I nominate Brucie.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I'd imagine that the gameplan did go out of the window once we got the red card - we were losing anyway of course, but losing and going down to ten men because one of our better players throws his toys out of the pram doesn't really help any sort of plan that CH set them up with.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

It wouldn't surprise me if most of the players have now given up too.

They probably want out and not interested in any new deal with us.

I would imagine morale is so low that a fresh start anywhere is better than staying here.
TUST MEMBER
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Ah the pattern is back. We lose and certain contributors return
TUST MEMBER
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Another Saturday, another defeat.

Full respect to anyone who traveled today, personally I think the club is very lucky to have fans who travel that far to watch more dross. I see a big drop in season ticket sales next year. Whether Brucie is genuine about going going to Exeter, I'm not sure but who could blame him? I've chosen not to renew mine and would love to know how many others are thinking the same.

There are always those who will claim we're not sticking by the club when it needs us most but in fairness we're all consumers and we are entitled to take our business elsewhere if we're not happy with the product on offer.

As Arnie once said...."I'll be back" but a year out will do us both good.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Tamargull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Tamargull »

Do not normally have any sympathy for CH and my opinion of his talents as a manager has not changed. However, did feel for him today as I felt some of he players let him down. Yong getting sent off is pathetic. He is the Captain and needs to start acting like one. If he cannot improve his discipline then we are better off without him. As for Rice and the defence - what were they doing for the second goal? There needs to be a MAJOR clear out at the end of the season. if not I will stay as one of the missing 500.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Tamargull wrote:Do not normally have any sympathy for CH and my opinion of his talents as a manager has not changed. However, did feel for him today as I felt some of he players let him down. Yong getting sent off is pathetic. He is the Captain and needs to start acting like one. If he cannot improve his discipline then we are better off without him. As for Rice and the defence - what were they doing for the second goal? There needs to be a MAJOR clear out at the end of the season. if not I will stay as one of the missing 500.
I agree and feel the same but is Yong a new Chinese signing sorry just had to. :keepie:
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Some interesting things to come out of Chris Hargreaves post match interview. He actually admitted that their second goal came about from mistakes made in a couple of areas where we aren't strong ... he didn't name any names but surely it suggests at least that he feels we need to strengthen not only our centre backs but also our goalkeeper ... who let's face it is simply not good enough at this level ... despite what Dave Thomas thinks! What he ( Greavsie) may just have forgotten is that it was his decision to (re) sign Rice and likewise Jordan Seabright (and we all know what he is doing now, don't we!).

A "moment of madness from my captain" was another of his comments that he made. I thought the fact that he referred to him as his CAPTAIN which of course he is, was quite pointed. He (Young) was his choice as Captain and the wrong one, in my opinion, it should have been Downes who is the natural leader. But, more to the point, to come out with the same old rubbish about "it wouldn't have been a sending off ten years, or even five years ago" is totally irrelevant! Luke Young was only just out of short trousers ten years ago, he knows the rules as they are TODAY and yet yet again one of our players' indiscipline has cost us big time! How many more times????

I think the reaction of Hargreaves, in both trying to defend the actions of Young and in also trying to suggest that a Southport player did something similar in the second half and so they should have ended up with 10 is NOT the right way to go about it. He SHOULD have laid into Young for his petulant reaction, his indiscipline and the lack of leadership shown by HIS captain. Our disciplinary record has been shocking all season and has cost us countless points - and does not reflect well on the management - the very fact that this afternoon he has tried to defend the indefensible probably gives us an insight into what the problem might be - a lack of discipline, starting with the Manager!

Finally, as if leaving us a man short against Woking on Tuesday ~ when the sub wasn't ready to replace Bowman and we ended up conceding ... the very last thing you would expect to happen in the very next game would surely be a repeat! But no, Bowman was injured (again ~ begs the question of whether he should have even started?) and comes off to be replaced by Daniel - only for the sub to be refused permission as it appears he is wearing a wristband that he shouldn't be. Regardless of the silly rules, the FACT is that we should have known better and only further underlines the UNPROFESSIONAL approach that appears to run throughout the club at this time. Leaving us down to just nine men for a good couple of minutes was inexcusable and the fact that apparently Guegan didn't even put the ball out into touch at the first opportunity he had ( he didn't) only served to underline that point!

In any other situation, with any other club, Hargreaves (and the rest !) would have been relieved of his duties weeks ago ~ given our recent performances and results he is extremely lucky to still be in a job ~ but with no effective leadership at the club during this state of limbo he remains in position, and will surely hold on now until new owners come in (assuming they do!)

With the "other" results today I think we will stay up but only because those four teams currently occupying the bottom four will probably not garner enough points to make us seriously sweat. That said though, I still think a 20th place finish is a distinct possibility and in any other season we would probably be staying up by the skin of our teeth rather than the relative comfort we are currently enjoying.

But, whatever happens between now and the end of the season, I am seriously worried for the future of the club. I cannot see anything other than a summer where season ticket sales drop through the floor - especially if they are maintained at current prices (likely!) and it is going to have to take a huge turnaround at the top to give any of the long suffering fans any sense of optimism for the future and anything more than the prospect of another struggle next season.
Last edited by CP Gull on 28 Mar 2015, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

yellowsmiffy wrote:Exeter? That would be a bigger bottle job than the playing staff, management and board members could all manage combined.

City are sh*t too, and League 2 is a miserable pile of crap as well. If you like football enough to follow multiple teams and not care about having your own club, do yourself a favour and at least pick a Prem / Champ team mate!

Without Thea sticking her cash in, we could be getting kicked out of the conference for finishing the season in administration and facing liquidation tbh. However, we're at least lucky in one respect - and that is that we have an almost clean slate and an opportunity to try and rebuild this club to ensure it has a future. I'll go to whatever games I can, as the fans will need to make the numbers back up if the new owners are to have any chance of getting the clubs back to where we belong (arguably).

I'm all done with moaning about Hargreaves and the players. They have all let themselves down. Will wait to see what happens in the summer when the new owners get to think about whether the club can afford to keep/sack the management.

Will there be any new owners interested in this amatuerish mob?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Very well put as normal Chris CP, spot on, lack of leadership at the club is costing us dear and will going forward, season tickets sales and attendances will suffer there can be no doubting that, if there is a genuine bidder out there then the whole takeover/new investment business needs to be concluded soon.

Think you're right about Chris Hargreaves, I will say had he been manager at any other fit for purpose 'professional' football club he (CH) would have been axed after the Braintree game.

Went and watched my lad play today thoroughly enjoyed, even had a couple of TUFC supporting mates came along with me, and they enjoyed it as well. This loss today really has come as no surprise to me, regardless of any circumstances in the match, fully expected a defeat today, expect to get a kicking for saying this, but I'm not going next week to the Dartford game despite the fact I believe we will win this game, however, like others need a break from it, want to see things change.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

CPGull - excellent posting - agree entirely.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

The major question is, are there any prospective new owners?