Southport v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Southport v Torquay

Post by Dave »

With the end of the season approaching fast the squad find themselves on the road again for our 7th game in March. This Saturday our squad travel to the Merseyrail community stadium, Haig Avenue, Southport, PR8 6JZ, capacity 6,008 (1,608 seated) to take a resurgent Southport side.

For those traveling to the game http://www.southportfc.net/pages.php?page_id=1175

In our previous earlier in the season we saw the two sides draw 0.0 a game that will be remembered not only for Ryan Bowman's early red card, but for the emergence of Duane Ofori-Acheampong who was brought on at half time to play the lone striker role, and to for was superb that day. Since then the one major change at Southport has been the appointment of Paul Carden back in January to replace the departed Gary Brabin.

Paul Carden should be a name familiar with Gulls fans, Carden was in the Cambridge team beaten 2.0 by Torquay in the 2009 conference play-off final, Southport have seen a huge turn around in their fortunes since Carden took over as manager, they have lost only once in their last eight games, with Nuneaton Town on a flyer in terms of current form, Southport recent run has been welcome and needed for their club and supporters.

Some of our younger readers may or may not know that Southport are also among a group of current conference clubs who were formerly a football league club, Southport joined the football league in 1921 and would become founder members of the old division three North in 1931, however after three consecutive bottom two finishes in what became Division four, Southport lost their place in the football league under the old re-election process, replaced in 1978 by Wigan.

Southport have Richard Brodie amongst their line up, another player I'm sure many Gulls fans will remember, a place once touted across all TU related forums as a potential transfer target during better times at our club, Brodie came to the fore scoring 53 goals in 135 games for York City, before earning a move to everyone's favourite club Crawley Town, their a further 11 goals in 38 games would help fire Crawley into the football league, however like many Northern lads Brodie couldn't settle down South, and would have loan spells at Fleetwood, Morecambe and Grimsby, However Brodie would finally return to his native North-east with a permanent move to Gateshead, however the move was short lived and after further loan moves has finally settled at Southport, Richard Brodie is a striker that has never failed to score goals at any club or level he's played at, with 120 career goals from 362 games, at 27 a player our ailing back four will certainly have to keep a close eye on.

In the head to head we've played Southport 29 times but only once in the conference; Southport have 3 wins, Torquay 13 wins and there has been 3 previous draws.

Southport's current home form reads; L-L-D-W-D-W overall form reads; L-W-D-D-W-W

Last time out Southport beat Dartford 2.0 at home and lined up as follows;

19 Brezovan
02 Challoner
06 Foster Booked
14 Joyce (Rutherford - 85' )
24 Beesley
11 Davies
20 Smith
04 Kay
08 George Booked
23 Donnelly
10 Brodie (McCarthy - 89' )

From a Torquay point of view, Ryan Bowman is likely to join John Campbell and long term absentee Thomas Cruise on the list of injured player who will miss this game, Levi Ives on international duty and its unclear whether Duane Ofori-Acheampong will return from compassionate leave. New signing Kadell Daniel could be added to the squad. http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 59259.aspx

Torquay's away form reads; D-L-D-W-D-L overall form reads; L-L-D-L-W-L.

Torquay's line up for Tuesday's 3.2 defeat at Woking was as follows;

Rice
Dawson
Gueguen
McQuilkin
Pearce
Downes
Ajala
Young
Cameron
Briscoe
Bowman

Normally playing a side in 19th place I would suggest our team to be favourites to win, however with current form which on the day means nothing right now think I'd take a point from this game. It was suggested Tuesday that our players had already switched off and were on their holidays, well as said above Nuneaton are on a flyer right now, and with Southport, Dartford and Aldershot to play, someone better wake them up and fast, although I'm 100 % certain we will not be relegated, I think another win may be needed just to absolutely sure.

With Bowman's Injury possibly going to keep him out, if DOA doesn't return that leaves us short up front a swell as in the full back areas, so today we sign a winger, interesting, right now the only way to bring unity back to our club is a new direction, and I'm not in this instance referring to Chris Hargreaves, hopefully Kelvin Thomas and Thea Bristow can conclude a takeover or new investment soon otherwise we'll continue to stagnate, or worse.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Further news from Southport, seems they've been active in loan market as well. http://www.southportfc.net/news/details ... 11325#news
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

New loan signing will link up well with Briscoe (arguably one of our best players) and we will win this one, keeping a much needed clean sheet in the process. 3-0

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Scott Brehaut wrote:New loan signing will link up well with Briscoe (arguably one of our best players) and we will win this one, keeping a much needed clean sheet in the process. 3-0

Would that be your half time prediction Scott or your full time one?
For the two can be very different.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Both Briscoe and Bowman 50-50 for tomorrow. Could be an interesting strike force (are those the right words?!) if they both miss out. Is O'Archie back? If not Yeoman and Prynn?
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Tomorrow is when the chickens finally come home to roost. With Campbell, Briscoe and Bowman out (if the latter two are), then my prediction is a 6-0 defeat - if not more.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I know current form is meaningless in the grand scheme of things, however Southport are unbeaten in 5 games with 4 clean sheets, and with Bowman, Briscoe rated 50/50 for this game I can see this match being difficult. I don't see a 3.0 win although you can't rule that out, I certainly do not see a 6.0 defeat either.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

forevertufc wrote:With the end of the season approaching fast
Good, the sooner we reach the end, the better! :-D
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Don't think you'll find many Gulls fans arguing with that point, only thing for me is, I'd like to see something happen either on or off the field, to give me and all gulls fans hope that next season we'll see our squad competing at the right end of the league, not seen it yet and with every week that passes my concern grows.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Just come off the phone to Mark Lawrenson, he predicts:

Southport are still in the danger zone however they welcome a very poor Torquay side,
expect a tough battling performance from the home side.

If Southport have done their homework, a soft Torquay underbelly awaits them, simply closing us down quickly or scoring the 1st goal will do the trick.

Our strikers are 50/50, possibly playing with niggles, if we do score I expect it to come from a set piece and not open play. Our defence will make mistakes conceding at least 2 goals, if not more.

We might possibly shade the 1st half (20 minutes) after that it will be backs against the wall!

3 nil to the home side.
:aww:
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Oh well for those who believe we've lost already you can watch Macclesfield v Bristol Rovers at lunchtime today on BT Sport - top of the table clash. What we could do with being able to say that! Next season perhaps?
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

Will be interesting to see to defensive line up with us being so short. Same goes for up top, hope one of Briscoe or Bowman is fit!
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Admiral »

Dawson is fit and in the starting XI. Bowman AND Briscoe both start.

Looks like 4-4-2
Rice
Dawson Gueguen Downes Pearce
Ajala Young McQuilkin Cameron
Briscoe Bowman

Subs:
Harding
Yeoman
Richards
Prynn
Daniel
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Who would take over Goalkeeping duties if Rice was to be injured ?