Woking v Torquay TUE 24TH

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Woking v Torquay TUE 24TH

Post by Dave »

No rest for the wicked as Tuesday night see the gulls squad back in action again. Tuesday the gulls will travel up to the Kingfield Stadium, Woking, GU22 9AA, capacity 6,036 (2,500 seated)to take on Garry Hill's team, Garry Hill is to me the archetypal battle hardened non-league manager, he led Dagenham and Redbridge also Weymouth into the conference premier in his time as manager at both of those clubs, also Garry Hill spent time in charge of Rushden and Diamonds amongst other clubs, Garry Hill a character not scared to ruffle a few feathers.

For those traveling to the game http://www.wokingfc.co.uk/club/directions/

In the head to head we've played Woking five times before, Torquay coming out on top with four wins and one previous match was drawn, to date we've never lost to Woking, who can forget our meeting earlier in the season, which ended up 1.0 to the gulls with an 89th minute free-kick wonder strike by Luke Young.

Tuesday night gives us a chance to catch up with a couple of gulls players former loanee Scott Rendell and Woking have recently signed former Torquay fans favourite Brian Saah on loan from Dagenham and Redbridge, Saah a popular centre back at Plainmoor scored twice in 78 games for Torquay, Woking also Have Yemi Odubade and Lionel Stone on loan from Eastleigh and Brentford. Woking have the highly impressive goalkeeper Jake Cole in their line up.

Woking's current home form reads; L-D-D-W-L-W overall current form reads; D-W-W-L-W-W

Last time out Woking kept their play-off hopes alive with a 1.0 home win against FGR and lined up as follows;

23 Cole Booked
02 Newton
24 Saah
22 Goddard (Banya - 88' )
32 Arthur
21 Jones
11 Betsy
04 Ricketts (Nutter - 94' )
08 Murtagh
09 Rendell
17 Odubade (Sole - 65' )

From a Torquay point of view, John Campbell limped out of the Kidderminster game with was is believed to be a hamstring injury and is likely to miss this game, it will be interesting to see if Jordan Chapell, Ben Harding and Duane Ofori-Acheampong will return to the squad after missing the weekend win over Kidderminster.

Torquay's current away form D-D-L-D-W-D overall form reads; W-L-L-D-L-W

Torquay lined up for the most welcome 2.1 home win against Kidderminster as follows;

01 Rice
29 Dawson
04 Downes
08 Young
25 Ives
26 Gueguen
10 Ajala Booked (Richards - 94' )
22 McQuilkin
11 Cameron
32 Campbell (Bowman - 14' Booked )
07 Briscoe (Yeoman - 80' )

Think there is no doubt that Saturday was an important win not just for confidence and the club, but also for under fire manager Chris Hargreaves who's job may not be secure unless we see a continued upturn in results and performances, Saturday despite our own poor form our team were favourites to beat a Kidderminster team who have only taken 1 point from their last 6 games, this Tuesday we face a match as tough as they come, a win here would surely soften fans attitudes to our current underperforming manager and team.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yep, I guess this was worth my time. :Oops:
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

forevertufc wrote:Yep, I guess this was worth my time. :Oops:
Thanks Dave. It was a good read. Hopefully another thread with a win at the end of it. :-D Rendell will score, though.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Yes - another good pre-match summary, Forever. We do look forward to your summaries even if we don't always respond to them. Thank you for not mentioning Huxtable was the ref for the Kidderminster match. If I'd know beforehand he was ref, I probably wouldn't have gone. He plays hell with my blood pressure !

I hope Hargreaves sticks with the same team tomorrow night to try to get some consistency in the side. The only possible change would be Chappell for Cameron. I don't know why Chappell wasn't a sub on Saturday unless he's injured again. I didn't think Cameron contributed much. We all know what he can do but he just isn't doing it. Tough game for the Gulls - a draw would be a very good outcome. :scarf:
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Chapell is injured, Ives not playing either (joined up with Northern Ireland Under-19s) and no Campbell (hamstring). Likely to be same side which finished on Saturday but with probably Pearce in for Ives.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Cheers Rob, Tommo. Not concerned about lack of replies, think we all know how things have gone on the field this season and it doesn't help with getting people motivated on these match threads, my reply was meant tongue in cheek :) regards the new Woking v Torquay thread that appeared a day after mine and manage to provoke an instant response.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

No segregation enforced tonight and Torquay fans will be allowed into the club bar. Quite glad actually as Woking's away end from previous experience is not one of the best.

If you offered me a point now, i'd take it. Just hope we can carry on from Saturday and get a run going.

Keep the ball on the ground and we will have a chance, lump it forward at every available chance and we will lose.

Going for 1-1.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

tktufc91 wrote:No segregation enforced tonight and Torquay fans will be allowed into the club bar. Quite glad actually as Woking's away end from previous experience is not one of the best.
If you offered me a point now, I'd take it.
Just hope we can carry on from Saturday and get a run going.
Keep the ball on the ground and we will have a chance, lump it forward at every available chance and we will lose.
Going for 1-1.
If you offered me a pint now, I'd take it.. :)
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

According to HE:

Torquay United from: Rice; Dawson, Gueguen, Downes, Pearce, Ajala, McQuilkin, Young, Cameron, Bowman, Briscoe, Yeoman, Richards, Prynn, Harding, Lavercombe.

Unavailable: Ives (international duty), Campbell (hamstring), Chapell (groin), MacDonald (ankle), Tonge (knee), Cruise (knee), Ofori-Acheampong (family bereavement), Benyon, Parcell Chaney (all out on loan).

Likely team:
Rice
Dawson Downes Gueguen Pearce
Ajala Young McQuilkin Cameron
Bowman Briscoe

Subs
Lavercombe Richards Harding Prynn Yeoman

Surprised not to see Odofin in the squad as defensive cover, we don't have a single defender on the bench!

Going for a 2-0 defeat
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

CH requested that Ives travel to the NI squad a day later as they are only playing friendlies and he needed him for tonight, given our lack of defensive cover for left back - it looks like that was turned down.

I'm disappointed in that - it's only one day late and I'd argue that OUR game is far more important than a couple of international friendlies.

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Tor ... story.html

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Scott Brehaut wrote:CH requested that Ives travel to the NI squad a day later as they are only playing friendlies and he needed him for tonight, given our lack of defensive cover for left back - it looks like that was turned down.

I'm disappointed in that - it's only one day late and I'd argue that OUR game is far more important than a couple of international friendlies.

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Tor ... story.html
Easy for a Brit to say! ;-)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I'm not a Brit

;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Didn't realise they had Saah, thought he was a decent CB for us

looks like he's doing okay, was MotM in their last game

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31769669
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Did you read the opening post. :)
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Home match for me tonight, yippee! For those of you who won't be there you can always watch, assuming you have BT Sport, the 'mighty' Braintree Town v. Telford! 5 against us, ten against Telford?!