Woking v Torquay TUE 24TH

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

brucie wrote:Plainmooroar and Scotty - you really are a couple of fools. Great result for me I bet on Woking when they were two nil down and made an absolute packet so am pleased as punch. In fact that will more than pay for my season ticket to Exeter next year.
As well as conceding three they also hit the post twice.
As has been said many times this is the WORST Torquay team this side of nagasaki. The only hope is that we get in a new owner and this clown Hargreaves will have his arse kicked right up the A38 whilst holding his P45.
How nice! perhaps you could post match reports of the Exeter games on here for us all to enjoy. :) :) ^.^
WestKentGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by WestKentGull »

Been a while since I've said to my son at a Torquay match that I was 'enjoying it'..... but we both knew deep down that it wouldn't last... and, true to form, it didn't. As mentioned elsewhere, the first half could've seen both teams going in at the break at 4-4... but second half it just wasn't to be... even when they pegged it back to 2-2 we just knew that they'd go on a get the winner. And they did. Make no mistake, Woking are a decent outfit and will be pushing for a play off spot... but there were glimpses of a decent Torquay side in there.

Another 3-5 points and we should be safe for this season. Rebuild in the summer. New manager? New owners? Who knows!

ps: Grecian Brucie. Close the door quietly on your way out. You certainly won't be missed. Call yourself a fan.... if all goes tits up at Sid James, you could always pop along to The Kit Kat... you'll be in like-minded company.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Wasn't that our season in a nutshell?

Bright start by a vibrant attacking young team playing some good stuff, look imperious before something goes wrong and then it all caves in?

The first 20-25 minutes was as good as i've seen from us in a long long time, our two wingers helped stretch the game, the two central midfielders were getting on the ball making things happen and 2 v 2 up front Briscoe and Bowman were ripping them apart, we could easily have been 4-0 up at half time but for two good saves, 1 of them outstanding by their keeper. It wouldn't have flattered us.

Would have loved to be a fly in the dressing room at half time, did we say go out and protect it? Or did we say keep doing the same things, keep attacking, because let's face it other than the kudos and happiness of a win the result really is immaterial for us now. It's not going to define our season it'll just make a difference of us finishing 12th - 17th and as such there was no reason for us to be fearful, nervous or panic. Yet that's what we did.

Rather than go out second half and maintain the same tempo, the same passing principles we went into survival mode trying to protect our lead and it is something time and time again this group has shown to be incapable of doing, Telford, FGR twice, Dover, Alfreton all games off the top of my head we were in front or in control of only to collapse and again last night, it was almost inevitable once the first one went in. This group simply doesn't have the leaders, the fight, the concentration and the discipline to cope with and deal with a setback, one thing goes wrong and all of a sudden 2/3/4 things go wrong and we fold.

Really disappointing because none of Woking's goals were good goals so to speak they were all second balls they got to first the second goal was criminal after McQuilkin won an excellent header their guy picked it up and under no challenge thumped it back in just beyond sub standard play from us. In fact I don't recall Ricey having to do much in the game, in comparison Crowe has made 2 or 3 top saves on top of the two we scored. The only chance Woking really made was in stoppage time when their guy has put one over from inches out.

The injury too Bowman didn't help but you could tell he was struggling before that, the first half him and Briscoe ran riot, they looked absolutely superb but second half we just couldn't get them in the game, we were content just trying to boot it or head it away and we lost all control and impetus we'd got from the first half.

Also hated seeing Brian Saah and Scott Rendell playing for Woking what a waste. Two players that would make a massive difference to us but hey ho, overall a vintage Torquay away day, greeted by Paul Bastard in shorts in weather not suitable for summer attire followed by a Torquay collapse, lovely stuff.
Last edited by royalgull on 25 Mar 2015, 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Lets face it Bristol City play better football than us,have a better set up and better players and will be playing Championship next season. Will I be going there........like f--k I will. Really thought earlier in the season that you were welcome to Brucie and now I would think to myself..poor old Exeter. A true supporter follows their team to Hell and back and we are both in Hell this season!! Have this feeling that we will both be in hell next season as well.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

First look for me at some of the 'newer' players, Prynn should have scored but I don't think he's quite ready for the first team yet if i'm totally honest, i like McQuilkin he's a useful player good in possession puts a shift in and will be a handy player for us next season. Guegeun or however you spell it nah not for me on that performance not strong enough poor positionally not particularly good in the air, I found our defensive lineup up bizarre to be honest. Hargreaves told us last week Dawson (who I thought did well first half but was atrocious second half again not convinced by him for next year) was comfortable at either right or left back, and Guegeun is happy playing as a right back why he didn't play right back allowing Pearce to partner Downes with Dawson on the left may have been a better way to go. Pearce did as well as he could but he's a shadow of the player he was last season sad to see but it's his own fault really.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I don't care what anyone says - I support brucie! Incidentally, why do some people mistakenly call him Terry?
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

wivelgull wrote:I don't care what anyone says - I support brucie! Incidentally, why do some people mistakenly call him Terry?
Mostly because it's his name, but let's not get too hung up on detail ;-)
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Bottled. It. Again. As soon as an ounce of pressure is applied to this bunch of jokers, we fold like a pack of playing cards. Going into last night's game, there was little to no expectation of winning. The victory over Kidderminster - a team somehow even more inept than us - merely papered over the cracks. This was the same group that were humiliated by relegation fodder Telford and battered by Braintree. So surely we couldn't defeat the mighty Woking?

Forget that they're a part-time team, which Hargreaves will conveniently leave out of his post-match interview. They are in the play-off picture. They have one of the most prolific strikers at this level - the same striker who we let slip through our fingers last year. They have the best defender to have pulled on a yellow jersey in the last three seasons. The odds are firmly against us. But then again, we prefer it that way, don't we? Ask Grimsby. Ask Barnet. Ask Eastleigh.

After 20 minutes, it looked like Woking would be added to that list. We played some decent football, carved out a couple of goals and were a team playing without fear. But then the worst thing that could have happened did happen - we were given time to think. At half-time, the players went into the dressing room thinking, "Hooray, we're winning 2-0." Then when they left the dressing room, they were thinking, "Oh s**t, we're winning 2-0."

Our best player in the first half performed heroically alongside Ricey and saved certain two goals, but the lanky streak of p**s did bugger all after the break. As we started to play hot potato with the football, it was only a matter of time before Woking would score. And when they scored one it was only a matter of time before they scored two. And when they scored two it was only a matter of time before they scored three. It should have been four, but a contender for miss of the season, which even Bowman would have tucked away, kept the scoreline respectable. Of course it was Rendell who scored the winner. He doesn't need five chances to score and can run about longer than an hour despite only training two times a week.

As Pearce replaced Ives and therefore increased the '£375 average wage' by about £200, Hargreaves will probably blame the capitulation on 'youth and inexperience' despite 10 of the starting XI having previously played in the Football League. The average age of the side was just under 25, with no player under the age of 22. We could have been playing at Wembley this weekend, but of course as soon as that actually looked like it really could happen, the players choked... again. Instead, we head to Southport. A game we will probably lose because we're expected to win.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Lovely stuff tommy :) Can't disagree with any of that
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Neal wrote:Chasing glory is NOT a true loyal football supporter.

Yes we are all of those things, but you stick by your club / friends / family when the going gets tough. That's what determines if you are a true supporter of any club. And when, because it will be "when" Exeter" have a bad season you can go and support one of the Bristol clubs, what ever one is doing well at the time. ENJOY!
Just for the record and not that it matters to any of you but it does to me. Two things drew me away from Torquay United.

1. The people that hàve been running the club (except Thea) for the past 4 years have treated me like a simpleton. A cash cow that keeps on giving whilst at the same time laughing at me and treating me with contempt. This same thing applies to the management (Knill / Hargreaves) and pretty much each and every footballer that has represented TUFC for the past 2 seasons at least. That had to stop. I couldn't make them reflect and take a long hard look around at those faces of resignation displayed by the fans in most games to give them a catalyst to wake up and smell the coffee. They just were either unwilling or unable to listen. They didn't know how how to talk either. To talk to us - the fans - to give us something to work with or someone who could lead us. Thea did this on her own and I also cannot be a part of an organization that has men behind the scenes who were more than comfortable to let an old woman pay for pretty much everything AND face the music when it all collapsed. It sickens me and these are not the values I have been taught.

2. With this in the back of mind I understandably became really disillusioned and it makes you look inside yourself. Although Nina has pointed out, and I'm flattered by the recognition, that I was a terrace regular mainly at away games singing and shouting as much I could. My highlight being when I took a drum to Accy and 5 minutes in my drumstick snapped in half and hit someone but I digress. The fact is that I gave as much as I could for your club but as Dave SG mentioned somewhere else. A club, or at least a certain place or area is in your heart, usually where you grew up and you cannot change this. I had to go over old ground and accept this. Wisdom and Southampton Dave eh? Not sure if the two should go together actually. Bit weird. (Joke Dave! Don't come and smash my face in next season when I come down with the York lads). No, actually Dave and one or two others made it a no brainer and I'm grateful for that.

These are my reasons for 'changing teams' and I've probably gone over old ground but unlike Brucie my circumstances for doing this for me personally are totally different.

I don't know if Brucie supported Exeter before Torquay but I followed York before Torquay so in a sense I am not changing teams, just going back to the old one. This is because I grew up around there and spent time there and know the area. Not because it is quicker to get to than Plainmoor which is one of Brucies reasons. Also, I have always stated that the level and standard of football doesn't decide whether I support a team and go to games or not. If I support a team then I go to games and I give my all regardless of if the club is bottom of the table and getting gubbed every week. You cannot support a team then not go when things are shit. It doesn't work like that. You either go or stop going full stop IMO.

Anyway, I do care what people think otherwise I wouldn't be posting this but I won't be letting anybody's childish comments make any difference for I feel I've done the right thing.

I've always tried to give praise and wish you good luck even now I should no longer care and there will always be the odd miserable, cantankerous, know it all but don't provide any evidence, obnoxious, poisonous person lurking in the shadows and to be fair to Richinns he has a point. Torquay appear to have many more than one but for all the fans I've met prrsonally this has been far from the case. They've all been amazing individuals and i've been priveleged to meet you all and for you I just have hope that some good times are but a summer away.

Like I said, York will no doubt be visiting Plainmoor next season and I would like to buy some of you drinks if this is the case.

Like my bets, only I could go from supporting a team relegated to non league to another.

No bother. That's life.

Take care all, just don't claim there are any similarities between Brucie and I. There are none thank the Good Lord.
Last edited by AustrianAndyGull on 25 Mar 2015, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

If I was "chasing glory" I would hardly start watching Exeter City lets be fair. Thanks for all the kind comments, and it appears that the moderators have some double standards concerning what is allowed to be posted which is completely laughable actually.
Its just that I don't enjoy going to Torquay anymore. So going to watch a better standard of live football,with less travelling in a better environment seems a good choice.
Cannot see me going back to Plainmoor at all (unless there is a complete regime change) - I am not actually gloating that we lost night, I would still have liked us to win even though I had a bet.
We are just so appallingly bad - I don't even bother listening to the commentaries anymore
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Woidger - yes no problem at all, I will be going to some Exeter games before the end of the season and will let you all know how the excellent Mr Tisdale and his chaps are doing.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

It's a free country, do what you want. Nobody else cares.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Terry, if you have a complaint to make about any posts simply use the Report Post tab. Seeing as you throw insults on a daily basis at anyone who has a different viewpoint to you it's hardly surprising that a few people throw them back is it? It would be simple to delete half of your posts which are blatant but poor attempts at trolling but that would take away a few laughs and not much else. Support Exeter eh? Good luck in that venture ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Quite happy with what everybody says and indeed you are quite correct I've thrown the odd insult or two so not at all bothered and in the grand scheme of things its only a message board so I am certainly not complaining.
I am not actually a "supporter" of Exeter as such but why shouldn't I go and watch professional football there if I want to.
I have a friend who is a season ticket holder at both Exeter and Plymouth this season, so presumably he has hate one or the other I take it?
He was a season ticket holder at Torquay last year but changed because he watches football every saturday and of course Torquay were relegated. He still goes to Torquay with me (when I go) if neither of the other teams are at home so he still supports Torquay when I go.
The only affiliation I have with Exeter is that my son was at Exeter for a couple of years and they treated him well enough, I actually used to take George Friend there once or twice a week.
It makes me laugh that there is the odd moron or to telling me I am not a supporter - I've been going to Torquay for 53 years. All my adult life I havn't lived anywhere near Torbay but I have spent a small fortune travelling to games.
Havn't enjoyed going to Torquay for three years and the Wrexham game was the straw that broke the camels back for me. The mismanagement of our club is scarcely believable. Thea has pumped three million in and we consistently lose to most part time teams we play.
That is inexcusable and Andy is right - there is only so many time the club can take the piss out of their supporters. People can scream and shout all they like but enough is enough.