Torquay v Kidderminster

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

A much needed win today. Very happy with that. Shame that we couldn't keep a clean sheet, but three points is better than a goal conceded that's for sure.

Onwards and upwards - has the fightback begun?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
KeithMalone
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by KeithMalone »

Had a feeling we would win today. Kept it to myself as it is often best to.

Sense the masses who were baying for blood will have to wait. One swallow does not make a summer but lets enjoy the 3 points tonight, which I think will keep us safe in the division.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Sounds like we were the better team throughout and deserved the win, though Kidderminster did improve in the second half. Their performance reminded me of how we normally play, low on quality, non confidence and aimless passing. I would name the same starting XI for Tuesday, with the only exception being Bowman in place of Campbell.

Today's performance was encouraging but we have to replicate it against Woking in order to retain the momentum. Another loss will see us straight back to square one.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Didn't go today, just couldn't after Tuesday. Still a much needed win, no one can argue with 3 points, but as said above, this is one game, we saw a great win at Eastleigh last month and look what followed, this win has to be followed with a good result up at Woking Tuesday, and by that I would take a point, otherwise today becomes meaningless.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Well what do you know. Actually enjoyed the first half. Excellent goals, very well worked.

Couple of points. Kidderminster are totally useless, I mean useless. Worse than Nuneaton last week and that's saying something.

Can Rice please stay behind after training and bloody well practice kicking. Its not hard, got a whole bloody pitch to aim for!

We did look very vulnerable on crosses. I think it is Ricey, just doesn't command the 6 yard box.

Ajala got one of the MOTM, probably for the pass for 2nd goal which was excellent. But his distribution throughout the game was poor.

The victory was well deserved though. Right I'm off home to Basingstoke so I will now do Woking on Tuesday as its down the road.

Funny ole life eh, I really didn't want to go and then enjoyed it.
TUST MEMBER
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Great performance, we deserved that win! Bowman looked especially decent. All round good performance. Dawson was lucky not to get punished for being out of position at times, as was Ives, however they both got better as the game went on! Mcquilkin doesn't offer much, if rather have Richards in there. Downes was superb, a real leader, constantly talking and it would be a shame for us to lose him in the summer. Luke Young was back on form aswell! All in all a good day, good result, better than usual atmosphere, and the sun was out! Final note, Ajala ran his socks off today, behind Ryan Bowman he'd be my MOTM!
The gulls are going up
Tamargull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Tamargull »

Very important win. Well done to CH, the team and all the fans who turned up today!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Great confidence boosting win. It should also end any relegation fears. Welling are 13 points behind(14 with GD) and they only have 7 games to play and they have a tough run in.
Lucy
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

At last a win for the Gulls! I thought we were good in patches today and probably just deserved a win. The big hero today was Bowman who replaced the injured Campbell on 15 minutes. Bowman did not have the best of receptions from the home crowd when he entered the fray but he responded in the best possible fashion. His 2 goals were very well taken and his overall contribution was excellent - holding the ball up, winning headers and linking play.

My first observation today was how sparse the crowd was and I was wondering if it was the lowest I've been to for a league match. It turned out it was 1,607 with 200+ from Kidderminster who mainly occupied the away end. For a change Torquay kicked towards the Family Stand in the first half. There was no sign of Kelvin Thomas by the way. Kidderminster posed very little threat in the first half and Torquay were the better side with some decent approach play. Bowman got the important breakthrough on 23 minutes who drilled a low, hard shot from just outside the penalty area that beat the keeper at his near post. Our spirits were finally lifted and as was the whole mood around Plainmoor. There were one or two other chances and we deserved our half-time 1-0 lead. There seemed a decent balance about our 4-4-2 formation and players positions. Bowman and Briscoe work well together in attack are are surely our best combination there. Young was putting a real good shift in midfield and at times produced some quality. McQuilkin offered little beside Young, he is so lightweight and his passing was not always great. Ajala had a poor first half - he got himself into promising positions but his final ball tended to go astray that resulted in our moves breaking down. Cameron on the left wing was a danger and linked play well. It was a reminder to me today that we DO have some quality in our team that are capable of doing well in this league if they play to their potential.

Kidderminster came at Torquay in the second half. It was interesting to see Nicholson taking all their free-kicks and corners as well as the odd long throw. He still poses a threat in that respect. It was from a Nicholson free-kick about 35 yards that was flicked on and finished by at close range veteran Hughes. I'm afraid we still look so vulnerable defending free-kicks and corners and this was another goal conceded from a set-piece. Torquay's winner was a real quality team move that reminded me of our good run last October. Young found Ajala on the right with a beautiful cross field pass of probaly around 40 yards. Ajala threaded an inch perfect through ball for Bowman who slipped the ball past their keeper. There were some scares later in the match. Dawson, who did well at right back, made one last ditch tackle in the penalty box - something I have not seen much from a full-back of ours for a long time. There were a couple of clearances as well in our box when you expected Kidderminster to score. Rice came out for a cross and dropped the ball ut got away with it. Bowman nearly wrapped the game up near the end but his shot was blocked. Torquay held out the 5 minutes of added time and there were big celebrations at the end.

I thought today the team showed character and at times some good quality against another struggling side. There's an awful lot to sort out, we have weak areas in the team and very little back up. But there is quality in players like Bowman, Briscoe, and Young. Players like Cameron and Ajala do possess quality but are very hit-and-miss. I'm afraid defending set-pieces is still a weak point and has cost us so many goals and points this season. Last word to Nicholson - he applauded the Popsiders just before the game started and had a warm reception throughout by the home fans with even some "Nicholson" chants (one when there was a Torquay free-kick!). Nicholson was subbed near the end again to good applause from the home crowd.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Also enjoyed today's game. The Torquay fans that were there encouraged the players and contributed to a good atmosphere. Nicho' s reaction to the Kiddy goal was a sort of apologetic grimace. The Torquay fans chanted his name several times. Huxtable made some shocking errors, including to forget to make a player who had received treatment go off before the restart of play.

It feels good to win and am pleased for the team. Levis came up to the fans on the popside at the end of game and even touched all the outstretched hands of the Torquay fans. Then Ollie did the same. My weekend is so much better now.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

I missed the first ten minutes (as usual) so i didn't see an incident about which others were frothing at the mouth. Apparently Ajala was taken out by their keeper and the ball then ran over the line without the ref either giving a penalty or a corner.

I watched the first half from the family stand and Bowman was involved in the build up for the first goal holding off his defender and scoring with a sweet shot.

Second half I went to the Bench and we fell into the old ways again dropping deeper and deeper and inviting them to come at us. It really was white knuckle stuff at times. The second goal was very well worked too and what was pleasing about that was the fact that we actually picked ourselves up after giving away a soft equaliser. we lost the ball easily from the restart and I thought here we go again but they actually knuckled down so the reaction to the wrexham debacle has actually happened albeit after some dire home performances.

I think others are hard on McQuilkin by the way, I thought he was fairly solid just in front of the back four.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

so I'm booked to go to Woking on Tuesday....................
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Kidderminster were poor, really poor. However we played with a bit more vigour today and after starting on the bench, Bowman came on to grab two decent goals.

1. McQuilken is NOT a central midfielder and against any other team we could easily have been over run today. He's too lightweight.
2. Rice was terrible and his distribution was diabolical.
3. Briscoe should start more often as he unnerves defences with his direct running.
4. Ajala kept busy and only his final ball let him down

All in all, a decent performance but as somebody has already said, one swallow doesn't make a summer.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

More fight from the team today. Looked as if they cared. Some iffy refereeing as usual, but a beautiful move for our winner - contender for best build-up of the season?

Luke nearly scored from a free kick - next time then, please! Hughes the thug should have been booked at the very least for pushing, elbowing, general blind-side dirty play - tricks of a well-travelled veteran.

Impressed with Dawson overall, but Rice's kicking was just dreadful. Such a waste, and a gift to the opposition when he punts it into touch - not to mention dangerous for the crowd!

Saw Paul Sturrock in the crowd, obviously debating whether to offer his services, deciding whether he can offer some coaching wisdom to the backroom boys.

Just hope the momentum is maintained on Tuesday.
TUST member 200 ;-)
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Hargreaves' post-match comments about Ajala did make me chuckle (scroll down to bottom): http://m.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/TOR ... story.html

Fair play to the manager and players, especially Bowman. It's only one win but boy did we need that. Hopefully we can follow it up with another three points on Tuesday night but Woking will be a much bigger test than an out-of-form Kiddy.