Torquay v Braintree TUE 17th

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Torquay v Braintree TUE 17th

Post by Dave »

Tuesday comes and with it another match. This coming Tuesday we welcome Braintree FC to plainmoor, Braintree are currently sat one place and one point behind Torquay in the conference premier table, The Iron are managed by former West Ham and England international Alan Devonshire, have ambitious plans for the future, which include plans for a new stadium. http://braintreeforum.proboards.com/thr ... dium-hopes

Council's feasibility study - a crossroad in our history

We caught up with Chairman Lee Harding at the weekend and there appears to be some progress with the Club's hope of relocation to a new stadium.
We understand that Braintree District Council have received the results of their long awaited feasibility study into the possibility of relocating the Club from its existing Cressing Road home to a new purpose-built stadium, ready for the Football League, at land allocated in the Council's Core Strategy growth location at Panfield Lane.
Both parties have been working hard behind the scenes over recent months. In August last year, the Council completed the purchase from Essex County Council of the vacant land off Chapel Hill for the sum of £1.2 million.
The Club too have worked hard to maintain Vanarama Conference football, while striving to operate on a sensible financial footing and retain all their assets to put towards the cost of relocation. The Club currently own the stadium freehold and have a lease on the land adjacent, which the Council and the Club are currently discussing.
Both the Council and the Club have been sensibly cautious about the deliverability of the new stadium. Both want to ensure that the Club can afford relocation and that the new facility will secure the long-term future of the Club and be an asset for the community.
Chairman Lee Harding said: "I think that we are fortunate in Braintree in that we have a well run local authority and football club who have both been very focused on the affordability of the new stadium. We've been talking to the Council about moving for eleven years now and have seen the location allocated for the new stadium site in the Council's Core Strategy."
He added: "We are happy to contribute all we can towards the new stadium and this study really is a crossroads in the Club's history. We like to think we are ambitious, but sensibly so. We have seen many clubs prosper following relocation, clubs like Burton Albion, Wycombe Wanderers and Yeovil Town - who were non-League clubs before new stadiums provided the facilities and financial impetus to reach the Football League. That said, we are very wary of the clubs that have struggled when they have not planned relocation thoroughly like Rushden & Diamonds and Darlington, so it's right that we take our time."
Harding concluded by saying: "The draft feasibility study from their independent consultants is with the Council and we understand it was to be discussed last week at Causeway House. We hope to see an approved copy for discussion at this week's Club board meeting and we can then start making some decisions about our future. Fundamentally about whether we plan for a new stadium or look at how we further develop our existing site at land off Cressing Road."

Thought this was an interesting read, and seen many TUFC fans broach this subject of late, taken on abroad the view point expressed by others and now I'm starting to wonder whether a new stadium with income driving potential along the lines of Barnet's Hive complex is the only way forward for our club now.

Our 2.0 defeat at Cressing Road in the run up to Christmas was our only previous meeting with Braintree, Braintree have recently added Bernard Mensah on loan from Watford, he should provoke memories amongst us Gulls fans, during an earlier loan spell at Barnet, Mensah played eight games, with his only goal coming against Torquay in our 2.3 win at the hive, Braintree also have the excellent Simeon Akinola amongst their line up.

Braintree's current away from reads; W-W-L-L-L-D overall current form reads; L-L-L-L-W-D

For todays 1.1 draw away to FGR, Braintree lined up as follows;

01 Hamann
03 Habergham
06 Massey Booked
08 Davis
02 Brundle
20 Clerima
15 Akinola (Sparkes - 90' )
05 Paine Booked
04 Isaac
09 Marks Booked
17 Mensah (Peters - 88' )

From a Torquay point of view, although the extent of the injury suffered by Angus MacDonald in todays game at Nuneaton is unkown, he is highly unlikely to be unavailable for Tuesdays game with Braintree, this will probably force Chris Hargreaves to change back to a more known formation, with perhaps Pearce and Ajala returning to the starting line up.

Torquay's current home form reads; L-W-L-D-L-L overall current form; L-D-W-L-L-D.

For today's 0.0 draw away to Nuneaton Torquay lined up as follows;

01 Rice
04 Downes
21 MacDonald (Pearce - 61' )
32 Campbell (Reid - 92' )
29 Dawson Booked
16 Richards Booked
08 Young
26 Gueguen
07 Briscoe (Ajala - 53' )
25 Ives
09 Bowman

Watching the Palace v Q.P.R the match summarisers talked about Joey Barton and something he'd said, which was about the difference between Harry Redknapp who'd played different formations home and away, and for different teams, to Chris Ramsey who's come in as caretaker and stuck to one formation and way of playing, and Barton had said how much the Rangers players are enjoying the consistency.

This is something I've posted a few times now, surely CH most settle on an 'A' team and 'A' formation and stick to it, it seems he's so desperate to get results he's tying pluck answers for here, there and everywhere, instead of thinking back to the season start where we were in the main playing 4-4-2, passing the ball out from the back, and passing and moving the ball to feet, something that seems to have flown right out of the window.
Formerly known as forevertufc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Expect a reaction........
Lucy
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I expect the two of us will be going anyone else?
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Might as well, I've waited so long for a reaction to the Wrexham game I'm kind of lost as to which defeat we're reacting to.....
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

i'll be there, first game since Wrexham

If anything i'll be there for Thea
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Going with my lad, can't say I'm looking forward to it, expecting dross, anything above that will be a bonus, once TUFC is your blood it doesn't leave.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote:Going with my lad, can't say I'm looking forward to it, expecting dross, anything above that will be a bonus, once TUFC is your blood it doesn't leave.
Yes - it's in the blood unfortunately. Will be there with my grandson. Looking forward to the excitement of the 50 - 50 draw and cross bar challenge at half time. :'( We really, really somehow need to get a win from somewhere.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

tomogull wrote:
Sorry to hear that. I'd focus on the 50:50 if I were you. More money in it. ;-)

I'm hoping to get off early and come down for this one. We won the last Tuesday nighter I came down for. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if that wasn't our last home win in the League. Halifax - ages ago?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

That would be December the 9th Rob. We'll win again, don't know where don't know when, but I'll know we'll again some sunny day. Or change the words to score, they both work. :'(
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

forevertufc wrote:That would be December the 9th Rob. We'll win again, don't know where don't know when, but I'll know we'll again some sunny day. Or change the words to score, they both work. :'(
December 9th - good grief.

We'll win on Tuesday. I'm going for 1-0 (o.g.)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Rob, you are the professor of optimism from the optimistic university. :)
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

forevertufc wrote:Tuesday comes and with it another match. This coming Tuesday we welcome Braintree FC to plainmoor, Braintree are currently sat one place and one point behind Torquay in the conference premier table, The Iron are managed by former West Ham and England international Alan Devonshire, have ambitious plans for the future, which include plans for a new stadium. http://braintreeforum.proboards.com/thr ... dium-hopes

Council's feasibility study - a crossroad in our history

We caught up with Chairman Lee Harding at the weekend and there appears to be some progress with the Club's hope of relocation to a new stadium.
We understand that Braintree District Council have received the results of their long awaited feasibility study into the possibility of relocating the Club from its existing Cressing Road home to a new purpose-built stadium, ready for the Football League, at land allocated in the Council's Core Strategy growth location at Panfield Lane.
Both parties have been working hard behind the scenes over recent months. In August last year, the Council completed the purchase from Essex County Council of the vacant land off Chapel Hill for the sum of £1.2 million.
The Club too have worked hard to maintain Vanarama Conference football, while striving to operate on a sensible financial footing and retain all their assets to put towards the cost of relocation. The Club currently own the stadium freehold and have a lease on the land adjacent, which the Council and the Club are currently discussing.
Both the Council and the Club have been sensibly cautious about the deliverability of the new stadium. Both want to ensure that the Club can afford relocation and that the new facility will secure the long-term future of the Club and be an asset for the community.
Chairman Lee Harding said: "I think that we are fortunate in Braintree in that we have a well run local authority and football club who have both been very focused on the affordability of the new stadium. We've been talking to the Council about moving for eleven years now and have seen the location allocated for the new stadium site in the Council's Core Strategy."
He added: "We are happy to contribute all we can towards the new stadium and this study really is a crossroads in the Club's history. We like to think we are ambitious, but sensibly so. We have seen many clubs prosper following relocation, clubs like Burton Albion, Wycombe Wanderers and Yeovil Town - who were non-League clubs before new stadiums provided the facilities and financial impetus to reach the Football League. That said, we are very wary of the clubs that have struggled when they have not planned relocation thoroughly like Rushden & Diamonds and Darlington, so it's right that we take our time."
Harding concluded by saying: "The draft feasibility study from their independent consultants is with the Council and we understand it was to be discussed last week at Causeway House. We hope to see an approved copy for discussion at this week's Club board meeting and we can then start making some decisions about our future. Fundamentally about whether we plan for a new stadium or look at how we further develop our existing site at land off Cressing Road."

Thought this was an interesting read, and seen many TUFC fans broach this subject of late, taken on abroad the view point expressed by others and now I'm starting to wonder whether a new stadium with income driving potential along the lines of Barnet's Hive complex is the only way forward for our club now.

Our 2.0 defeat at Cressing Road in the run up to Christmas was our only previous meeting with Braintree, Braintree have recently added Bernard Mensah on loan from Watford, he should provoke memories amongst us Gulls fans, during an earlier loan spell at Barnet, Mensah played eight games, with his only goal coming against Torquay in our 2.3 win at the hive, Braintree also have the excellent Simeon Akinola amongst their line up.

Braintree's current away from reads; W-W-L-L-L-D overall current form reads; L-L-L-L-W-D

For todays 1.1 draw away to FGR, Braintree lined up as follows;

01 Hamann
03 Habergham
06 Massey Booked
08 Davis
02 Brundle
20 Clerima
15 Akinola (Sparkes - 90' )
05 Paine Booked
04 Isaac
09 Marks Booked
17 Mensah (Peters - 88' )

From a Torquay point of view, although the extent of the injury suffered by Angus MacDonald in todays game at Nuneaton is unkown, he is highly unlikely to be unavailable for Tuesdays game with Braintree, this will probably force Chris Hargreaves to change back to a more known formation, with perhaps Pearce and Ajala returning to the starting line up.

Torquay's current home form reads; L-W-L-D-L-L overall current form; L-D-W-L-L-D.

For today's 0.0 draw away to Nuneaton Torquay lined up as follows;

01 Rice
04 Downes
21 MacDonald (Pearce - 61' )
32 Campbell (Reid - 92' )
29 Dawson Booked
16 Richards Booked
08 Young
26 Gueguen
07 Briscoe (Ajala - 53' )
25 Ives
09 Bowman

Watching the Palace v Q.P.R the match summarisers talked about Joey Barton and something he'd said, which was about the difference between Harry Redknapp who'd played different formations home and away, and for different teams, to Chris Ramsey who's come in as caretaker and stuck to one formation and way of playing, and Barton had said how much the Rangers players are enjoying the consistency.

This is something I've posted a few times now, surely CH most settle on an 'A' team and 'A' formation and stick to it, it seems he's so desperate to get results he's tying pluck answers for here, there and everywhere, instead of thinking back to the season start where we were in the main playing 4-4-2, passing the ball out from the back, and passing and moving the ball to feet, something that seems to have flown right out of the window.
Not exactly working out for QPR, though, is it?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I merely picked up on a statement made by Joey Barton that players enjoy consistency. The fact it hasn't brought a great improvement in results for Q.P.R really doesn't need a brain surgeon, does it ?

Ok I'll help you, Q.P.R a top eight championship side playing in the premiership and some way above their station, Torquay a top eight conference side by the estimation of many currently sat in the bottom nine, and some way below our station, and a manager who seems incapable of putting the same side out barring injuries or playing the same formation from one game to the next, wonder how many of players are members confused.com.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Looks as if Liam Prynn could be given a chance tonight to solve the lack of goals.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

250 mile round trip here I come. There has got to be a performance somewhere in this team. Fingers crossed and positive thinking.