Barnet vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Excellent as always Jeff, cheers for that, and to Miltonkeynesgull.
:~D
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

what a great day,superb by the gulls,england do the italian job,and hope tomorrow hull kr beat hullfc...simon :lol:
UpminsterGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by UpminsterGull »

An easy win in the end. Barnet were very poor and sadly I doubt we'll be getting our trip to Underhill next season. We didn't look like a team who should be worrying about relegation but neither did we really look like one that could go hope. Hopefully a good run & we can sneek into the play offs though.
Superb support today - almost 500 when the team are mid table. Good to see how much the players & Buckle obioulsy appreaciated the support.
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

Definitely wasn't 4-4-2 for more than a few minutes.

It was the most fluid 4-1-2-2-1 I've seen us play in a long while.

Oastler's only job was to sit in front of the back-four with Stanley and O'Kane given a little more chance to go forward, which Stanley did better than O'Kane, who as others have suggested was a little more subdued, although not bad by any means.

Where things were really fluid was up front, where Zebroski, Robinson and Kee were constantly changing positions, so one minute it would be big Billy up front, moments later Zebs and then Robinson just to confuse the defenders. This was particularly effective in the last 20 minutes of the first-half, when we dominated the 10-men playing uphill.

Second-half was a little more constant, especially after Robinson went off. Gilligan played wide right, Zebs wide left and Billy up front, although it would be wrong to say he was up front on his own since there was always support at hand, if not from the wide players then from Stanley (who I really like).

When Danny and Lathrope came on, the 4-4-2 was a little more evident with Zebs going up top and getting his late goal to cap a superb all-round, hard-working performance, the sort of showing we really needed against Crawley :@
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Lovely finish by Billy Kee, even better when you consider it's on his left foot. I have really high hopes for him.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I like the descriptions of the fluid formation. I've lost count of the times I've remarked "why don't we change the wingers round?" just to put doubts in defenders' minds. It sounds like we were far more flexible even than that and I welcome it although there comes a point when this causes problems for our shape and defensive coverage so we can't go too far in most games.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

AndyC wrote:Definitely wasn't 4-4-2 for more than a few minutes.

It was the most fluid 4-1-2-2-1 I've seen us play in a long while.

Oastler's only job was to sit in front of the back-four with Stanley and O'Kane given a little more chance to go forward, which Stanley did better than O'Kane, who as others have suggested was a little more subdued, although not bad by any means.

Where things were really fluid was up front, where Zebroski, Robinson and Kee were constantly changing positions, so one minute it would be big Billy up front, moments later Zebs and then Robinson just to confuse the defenders. This was particularly effective in the last 20 minutes of the first-half, when we dominated the 10-men playing uphill.

Second-half was a little more constant, especially after Robinson went off. Gilligan played wide right, Zebs wide left and Billy up front, although it would be wrong to say he was up front on his own since there was always support at hand, if not from the wide players then from Stanley (who I really like).

When Danny and Lathrope came on, the 4-4-2 was a little more evident with Zebs going up top and getting his late goal to cap a superb all-round, hard-working performance, the sort of showing we really needed against Crawley :@
Cheers AndyC - that's a far more accurate and knowledgeable description than I could muster! My memory for events that happened in a football game really is appalling! The fluidity was very noticeable thinking back - LRT and were overlapping constantly, Robinson was always swapping sides and Kee and Zebs were always swapping too. We were at our most creative playing this, but when we did revert to a more solid formation in the 2nd half I think we closed the game really well. The ruthlessness with which we took our chances impressed me - not something we've experienced much this season!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

bixieupnorth wrote:straightforward away win today and a clean sheet too, 0-3 robinson, kee and branston
you read it here first!!
still keeping the faith
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

bixieupnorth wrote: you read it here first!!
Indeed I did. Did you have money on it ? What were the odds, the stake and the winnings ?
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Trojan 67 wrote: Indeed I did. Did you have money on it ? What were the odds, the stake and the winnings ?
I got £16.44 matched at 40-1 with betfair and £3.56 placed at 38-1 with Betfair - also had £80 at 8/5 on Torquay win. First football bets of the season :clap:
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i got a measly 22/1, also did correct score with jake to score anytime at 40s, you got great prices for yr bets mate! only had a quid on unfortunately!
still keeping the faith