Torquay v AFC Telford

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

forevertufc wrote:Think it depends on each fans opinion as to how good we think the squad actually is. I personally think there's more than enough quality in there for us to gain a top 8 finish, and the moment we're on course for a bottom 8 finish, that's a massive under achievement, the players and team have gone backwards. Some may think this squad isn't anywhere near good enough, and the lack of quality is down to relegation and the miss-management that led to it.
I AGREE WITH YOU. :keepie:
PaulR
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PaulR »

[quote="Southampton Gull"].

..........Hargreaves isnt responsible for us being where we are now.

Sorry SG which part am I not reading?
http://www.rockettrides.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

Penalty
Luke young free kick
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

All of it, obviously.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well rarely have I felt so despondent on leaving Plainmoor.

The truth is we have no midfield which is the engine room of any successful team.

To leave Toby Ajala on the bench was inexplicable. As soon as he came on he did more in 10 minutes than Reid did in 65. For me Reid was a major disappointment.

After taking 24 points from a possible 33 in Aug/Sept we have now taken just 22 from a possible 69. Why?

There are many reasons but I do not believe we can pin ALL the blame on Chris Hargreaves. The Club as a whole feels like a ship without a rudder.

If I were CH, a rookie manager, I would ring a very experienced manager, I will not say who, and get some serious advice.

Sometimes one or two changes can make a big difference. Concentrate on midfield. We have scored 51 goals but the real problem is BOTH on and off the pitch.

The Club needs some serious leadership and SOON.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

PaulR wrote:
Are you seriously suggesting that as the person responsible for team training, selection, players positions on the pitch, motivation, and substitutions, that as manager Chris Hargreaves bears no responsibility for where the team currently find themselves in this league?
:goodpost:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote:Quite shameful that a so called fan couldn't wait to come on and gloat after a defeat he must have been craving.

Despite the hysterical responses from some it still stands that Hargreaves isnt responsible for us being where we are now. The rot set in while the dynamic duo of Baker and Phillips were running things.
Dave I am struggling to find why - especially after today - your defence of CH is as strong as it is...

We have surely seen today that he has issues - he took the job - and he has failed.

If there is an underlying issue that you are aware of, then PM me and fill me in - I'd be delighted to know why my home-town club are in the situation where they are now.

Thanks
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

arcadia wrote:If McDonald is suspended I would like to see this team or shape.

RICE :clap:

DAWSON PEARCE DOWNES IVES
GUEGUEN
RICHARDS YOUNG AJALA
BRISCOE :bow:
BOWMAN

I just hope that a few supporter change their minds and turn up and support the team. :keepie:
Your line up would have been more effectice, Arcadia. It couldn't have possibly been any worse. Torquay United was a shambles when Dave Webb was manager, they were a shambles when Chris Roberts was chairman and sadly the club is a shambles again now. Last Saturday and today were about as bad as it gets. Southampton Gull - were you at either of these games? There was no game plan, no fluency in the play in either game. It was just lump it up in the air and hope. Fair play to your loyalty to Chris Hargreaves but the way the team play is down to the manager in partnership with his assistant. I really hope he can turn things around but there is something badly amiss at the club at present.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

When you pick a football team it's not about names it's about what players can do in the positions that they play what they can do going forward and what they can do going back. Ives is being destroyed because the side is struggling if it was doing well he would thrive because he is a good player. Briscoe is quality why leave him on the bench he's brilliant off the striker and showed this today when he came on. The mid-field is the problem area we need three with the players we've got with a holding player to let Young go forward. Chris has no idea how to pick a balance side and it is very frustrating. I wondered if this new guy has had any influence in the side that is picked when Campbell came in. Chris definitely needs advice but it's got to be good advice.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Did anyone else notice the magical moment when Reid cleared the under inflated ball off the pitch, Ken Veysey stooped to catch the ball and let it slip between his legs?..........What chance has Rice got?
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
StretfordGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by StretfordGull »

Southampton Gull wrote:
Quite shameful that a so called fan couldn't wait to come on and gloat after a defeat he must have been craving.

Despite the hysterical responses from some it still stands that Hargreaves isnt responsible for us being where we are now. The rot set in while the dynamic duo of Baker and Phillips were running things.
I'm not sure anyone on this forum craves a defeat do they?
I think it's fairly easy to understand that everyone has had enough, don't you?

I'm certainly not responsible. This season, I would suggest that the vast majority of our failures can be put down to Chris Hargreaves' lack of experience or expertise and certain players being allowed to put in half arsed, soulless performances.

I wonder what happened after the game today.
If it was me who was manager, I wouldn't have let a single player out of that dressing room until I heard from every single one of them why they were under-performing.

We're in a rut. What have we seen to suggest that we'll lose on Tuesday? We've just lost to the divisions worst team. Something HAS to change.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

It shows how poor we were............ even the match ball was deflated!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

StretfordGull wrote: I'm not sure anyone on this forum craves a defeat do they?
I think it's fairly easy to understand that everyone has had enough, don't you?

I'm certainly not responsible. This season, I would suggest that the vast majority of our failures can be put down to Chris Hargreaves' lack of experience or expertise and certain players being allowed to put in half arsed, soulless performances.

I wonder what happened after the game today.
If it was me who was manager, I wouldn't have let a single player out of that dressing room until I heard from every single one of them why they were under-performing.

We're in a rut. What have we seen to suggest that we'll lose on Tuesday? We've just lost to the divisions worst team. Something HAS to change.

It's pretty clear to see that there are one or two who crave just that because it gives them the opportunity to drone on about how poor the manager is. Like I've been saying for what seems a long time now we are getting what we deserve for making poor decision after poor decision stretching right back to when Martin Ling had us on the verge of promotion. The penny pinching started then and has landed us in the mire. I used the phrase "be careful what you wish for" way back when people were falling over themselves to get rid of Ling, who would swap our position then for the one now? Yes hindsight is a wonderful thing but it was foresight back then and just because several people on a forum bang on week in week out about the team they would select blah blah and how the managers team selection is all wrong it doesn't mean I fall for the tripe they spout. I knew this was coming, I'm not surprised at all, it was obvious from the day Ling was denied the benefit of spending at least a portion of the half a million plus he generated. We're a small club from the back end of nowhere and lady luck ran out on us. If some of you want to blame our predicament on a manager that is probably hurting as much as anyone then go right ahead, just don't expect me to fall for the same crap. The players need to take a long hard look at themselves, the manager does too, a few in the boardroom probably spend all day looking at themselves......................
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Whilst CH is very supportive publicly of his team, and probably quite rightly so, it is more than obvious that a hierarchy has built up in the squad that is unhealthy.

Whilst Ling was not loved by all on here, he did instill a belief in his players that loanees were "a last result" and if you were in the squad, you were good enough. Squad players were kept motivated and generally did well when coming in. It was a tight team and much of that started in the dressing room.

...now just imagine if you were Ashley Yeoman or Louise Briscoe, deemed not good enough to make the starting lineup and replaced by two loanees, one clearly not interested in being here and the other putting in a shift each match, but not getting anywhere. OK, Yeoman may not be good enough, but he was given 8 minutes yesterday to prove he was !

I am getting sick of hearing from Hargreaves how great Luke Young is, since Hemel away he has been totally ineffective and not worthy of his place in the team, let alone the captains armband....but he appears untouchable. The same good be said for young Ives and Pearce

So when you consider the "A team" who know they are in the team week in week out, the loanees coming into the club and add to that the difference in pay from £90K a year to players playing for free is it no wonder we are in a mess?

The best managers are great "conceptual thinkers" a bit of business language may be, by that I mean they can see the bigger picture and how each action has a resulting reaction within a team of people.

I've no doubt at all that Chris can spot a player good enough for the Conference, but he needs to toughen up and toughen up quickly rather than coming across as a friend to all , a lover of some and a manager of none.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

I have found a new and as yet, it does not appear the in Oxford dictionary. It sums up how most supporters and some players are starting to feel.

The word is Exhaustupated, meaning, too tired to give a sh*t! ;-)
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: