Torquay v AFC Telford

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Torquay v AFC Telford

Post by Dave »

Last week wasn't just about going to Wembley, as a club we've been there five times before as we all know, it was about banking some much needed money and a guilt edged chance to win a national cup competition for the first time in our history, massive disappointment, however it's gone and now we have thirteen games to restore some pride and togetherness back into our club.

Saturday sees us welcome AFC Telford to Plainmoor, our only previous meeting with The Bucks' a club reformed 10 years ago, was 27th September this season, a match we were overwhelming favourites to win however suffered a 4.3 reversal, a result and performance that our squad just never seemed to recover from. AFC Telford promoted as Conference North champions last season would have been desperate to established themselves in the non-league top flight, especially with their fantastic New Bucks Head stadium, however their current position with eleven games would suggest relegation to be certain for them.

AFC Telford have made a number of changes since we met earlier in the season, with Steve Kittrick replacing Liam Watson as manager, also a number of new signings, most notable is the loan signing of a player we know well Ian Sharps from Burton and young Everton defender Ben McLaughlin, during the course of their last six away games AFC Telford have won 0.4 away at Wrexham and gained a credible 3.3 draw away at Eastleigh, they are capable of picking up a good result, the warning is there.

Telford's current away from reads; D-W-W-D-L-L overall current form reads; L-D-L-L-L-L.

Last time out Telford lost 0.1 home to Alfreton and lined up as follows;

25 Hall
23 Disney
03 McLaughlin (Matthews - 19' )
04 Byrne
27 Sharps
24 Ventre Booked
20 Poku
10 Gray
18 Smith
29 Dyer (Clancy - 61' )
06 Grogan (Farrell - 61' Booked )

From a Torquay point of view, Angus MacDonald will be suspended for this game, I believe Tom Cruise is injured, but cup-tied defender Aaron Dawson is available.

Torquay's current home reads; D-W-L-W-L-D overall current home form reads; D-D-D-L-D-W.

Last time out for 0.3 defeat by Wrexham in the F.A Trophy Torquay lined up as follows;

Martin Rice
Ollivier Gueguen
Angus MacDonald
Aaron Downes
Levi Ives
James McQuilkin (Jordan Chapell 57)
Luke Young (capt)
Courtney Richards
Toby Ajala (Louis Briscoe 69)
Ryan Bowman
John Campbell (Duane Ofori-Acheampong 69)

Torquay fans attending Saturday and the following Tuesday match with Chester have the chance to win F.A Cup final tickets;
http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 14485.aspx

Gulls have to finish strongly to save their season says, Kelvin Thomas;
http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html

Personally I'd like to see this starting line up Saturday

Rice

Dawson
Gueguen
Peace
Ives

Ried
Richards
Young
Ajala

Campbell
Bowman

Finally my message to the players; Torquay United fans on the whole are no different to fans groups of any other club, we do not expect our team to win every game, we're no more fickle than fans of any other club either, we don't moan and whinge for the sake of it.

TUFC fans enter the ground and part with their hard earned money, if we get served up a gutless inept performance such as Saturday, expect moans, groans and boo's. Because what we do expect is every player to wear the yellow shirt with same pride we do, we expect to see our team share the commitment pride and passion in your performance, that us fans feel on a Saturday in the ground, and if you lose, you lose, but you'll still get the applause and praise deserved.

Every TUFC fan that turns up on Saturday deserves to see a massive positive reaction from our team, and don't mean just winning the game, as whether Telford fans like it or not, we are going be favourites to win regardless, I mean in terms of a positive team performance, we need something to shout about, desperately.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Very good chest thumping OP there mate ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yep my chest is killing me.. :)
Formerly known as forevertufc
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

The severe disappointment / anger of our last two games is starting to slowly ebb away. Why am I now starting to look forward to the game on Saturday?!

Surely ( I know, don't call me Shirley) there must be a positive reaction from the players?Telford are in for a FA Trophy backlash!
I must be mad, call me a Doctor please!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Dont worry KevGull, Brucie will be only some time shortly to dampen your high hopes and put you back in your place!! (Although in truth, i'm actually sharing your optimism and I too think Telford are in for a thumping :-D )

And if I was CH i'd print off that bit you've written about the fans Forever and stick it up on the home dressing room door! I'd make each and every one of those players read it before they entered to give them a much needed boot up the backside and try understand our current point of view!!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

These are an important 13 games for a few reasons, 1) we need to end this season well to go into the summer in a positive and clear frame of mind about how to do better next season, 2) the club need to get the fans back on side, they had an amazing chance to do it last week and failed so miserably I think TUFC/Fan relations are probably at the lowest point since Roberts was here, 3) every one of our players are playing for their careers. There are very few places to go for players released by Torquay, it can often be a career graveyard unless they know someone willing to give them another chance.

I was at the Telford game, it was appalling to see us lose to a side so utterly inept but it summed up the braindead bunch we have sometimes they way we self imploded and conspired to lose that day. I expect us to win and win well Saturday anything else isn't really good enough. These are the standards we should set as a club, no more settling for mediocrity, it's not arrogance to demand a performance and demand a full time professional club with 80+ years football league history behind it should expect and set our standards high in his league.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I'm just hoping that we get over 2,000 in for this one. I don't blame people for deciding to do other things on their Saturday afternoon, especially after last weeks shambles, but despite last week, I'll be there. sticking through the rough times will make our future successes that much sweeter. Take the highs with the lows.

No disrespect to Telford, but anything less than 3 points here would be a huge disappointment. We need to see a reaction from the team and fingers crossed they can. Telford are in the bottom 4 for a reason, so hopefully we can restore some much needed confidence with a win. Certainly not expecting a huge win, just as long as we win!!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

royal gull wrote:These are the standards we should set as a club, no more settling for mediocrity, it's not arrogance to demand a performance and demand a full time professional club with 80+ years football league history behind it should expect and set our standards high in his league.
It might not be arrogant but it seems increasingly unlikely at the moment. However, if there is any team that we should expect to beat now above all others, it is Telford. Bottom of the league having lost their last four matches, almost certain to be relegated, lost more games than anyone else and conceded more than every other team. We couldn't ask for a better opportunity to get some confidence into the squad.

Not that any of the above counts for anything however, and we'll probably huff and puff to a boring 0-0 draw.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

3-1 win.

:scarf:
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Mid week training,more clips like these please!

http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 17705.aspx
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

Excellent last two paragraphs forevertufc.
Too many 'soft' postings on this forum since last Saturday.
Support has to be earned not taken for granted.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Support should be there whatever, unless of course you have a big team to fall back and support when the going gets tough ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

If McDonald is suspended I would like to see this team or shape.

RICE :clap:

DAWSON PEARCE DOWNES IVES
GUEGUEN
RICHARDS YOUNG AJALA
BRISCOE :bow:
BOWMAN

I just hope that a few supporter change their minds and turn up and support the team. :keepie:
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

If you turn up at Plainmoor tomorrow please support your team.

If you love TUFC then support them and do not be the first to criticise.

No team plays poorly on purpose. We the supporters can make a difference by backing the team.

A lot of young players NEED your support. I am going with a mate and I expect us to win. The team will want revenge for losing at Telford.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

arcadia wrote:If McDonald is suspended I would like to see this team or shape.

RICE :clap:

DAWSON PEARCE DOWNES IVES
GUEGUEN
RICHARDS YOUNG AJALA
BRISCOE :bow:
BOWMAN

I just hope that a few supporter change their minds and turn up and support the team. :keepie:
I'd go along with that line-up, arcadia. Very much like the idea of a Guegen playing as a 'holding' midfielder. I reckon he would fit in well there and it would take some of the pressure off Luke Young and allow him to attack more. I would perhaps play Jamie Reid in place of Richards just to see how Reid gets on. Also, the lad from Oxford on the bench to come on when Briscoe runs out of puff (about 10 mins after half time).