F.A Trophy semi final 2nd leg v Wrexham

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Just to state I wasn't there. Great posts Brucie, don't always agree with you, well havnt done much at all this season actually, but your proving to be right. Your player ratings very interesting and probably correct.

The interview with CH, Chris if your going to say "Nobody died" everytime we lose YOU DONT UNDERSTAND FOOTBALL FANS!! Did you say that when you were a pundit when Knill was in charge, NO!

Thea, please please save you money!! Your throwing good after bad. If no one comes in and buys the club then set a budget for next season that the club itself can support. Tell the management we want a squad of players with the right attitude, I cant cope with any professional footballer who doesn't at least try for for 1 or 2 games a week.

I would also like to say that Ive read on here all season that the players are better than the league position, NO NO NO they are not. I don't know how many of you play a sport seriously, I do. I can tell you on a very few occasions I perform really well, on another few occasions Im pants, and the remainder Im ok. So what level am I, well I could easily brag and say Im really good because once last year I did this and did that, but I would be deluding myself. I am as good as the average of all the performances. If you go to one game and see player x have a blinder, doesn't mean he is fantastic at this level. You take an average over the season. Given that not many are good enough for this level. The only caveat to this is the fact that the managers tactics will have an impact on player x' sperformance. BUT player x should still get 10/10 for effort!

We probably cant sack CH because we cant afford it, but I don't think he will be manager in season 16/17.

As for MacDonald, some on here are saying he is young, give him a chance. No, a professional footballer cant ABUSE his own fans, it s an own goal because now there will be a sizeable section of fans on his back every game. Its football, fans shout at the opposition players, and when the performances are absolutely dire then at your own.
TUST MEMBER
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Some quotes from Wrexham

"Key moment. Look, it had to the be the opening goal. Up until then the game really could have gone either way. Torquay were energetic, without much quality, but one lucky strike or deflection and they were back in it."

"Forget the first half - I largely have - it was all about controlling the home side.
The second half was about decimating them. Once the first goal went in it was all over."

"Set plays had been troubling Torquay all day and on 64 minutes Dean Keates really made one count by curling the ball in for Louis Moult to rise the highest and bury a close-range header."
TUST MEMBER
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

McDonald can go back to the farm end of.

What amazes me though, wasn't there, but every single match we have lost we always get some on here moaning the ref. (conferences refs surely not) or an opposition player or players. The commo team yesterday said how poor the ref was AND some of the off the ball nastiness of the Wrexham players. Not one person has mentioned any of it. We're we really that bad?

Begining to wish I had gone now to witness the historic poor ness, but then again.
Forget what was at stake, was it the worst performance you (forget what others say kind of hard I know) have ever seen? The worst to detract from what the opposition did the whole game? Really the worst?
Last edited by Dave_Pougher on 01 Mar 2015, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

This defeat does appear to be a very damaging one in terms of the reaction. I don't think its even so much that we lost 3-0 or indeed had we lost 10-0, it basically would not have made any difference.
Its more to do with the fact that we could still be playing now and still wouldn't have scored, so the result was pretty much irrelevant, we would have ended up with nil.
Even today I am still shocked by how badly we played - it is inconcievable that we were inept in the first leg and managed to be even worse in the return match.
Players swearing at the crowd, our captain and best player all but giving up in the second half - what on earth was going on.
I do think that Hargreaves made some dire team selections.
We had to take the game by the scruff of the neck and start with two quick wingers ie Ajala and Chappell. Briscoe played well against Wrexham when we beat them down here and should have started instead of Campbell who should have been introduced late on. He is hardly the answer but would have been better coming off the bench.
Pearce should surely have started the game in central defence - he might be prone to the odd mistake but he is a better player than Macdonald.
Our right side was the key mistake though. Geugan was totally ineffective at full back, offered nothing going forward and has no pace at all. Pairing him with McQ who was equally slow rendered us without any threat on that wing.
Reid is a powerful player and has pace - he could quite easily have replaced either winger - Briscoe being put on the wing when he came on was equally ludicrous.
I cannot for the life of me see why Hargreaves prefers Rice to Seabright in goal. Ok Seabright makes errors but from what I have seen looks the better keeper.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes the ref was useless. Wrexham set up to waste time from the first minute. Young was stamped on and the ref awarded Wrexham three corners in the first half which were goal kicks.
None of that made any difference though - we lost cause we were a pathetic shambles of a team - pure and simple.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

There is one terrible truth that is apparent: the days of TUFC being a Football League side are over; if not for ever, then for a very long, long time. The reports on this site are often fairly vituperative when we lose, but this current set of reports (I wasn't there) indicate that yesterday's performance was one of the worst ever by a team which is one of the worst ever (and, yes, I do agree with brucie).
The person I feel for the most is Mrs. Bristow; how much of her fortune has been wasted? More to the point, how much more will be? She ought to get out as quickly as possible.
A succession of disastrous board decisions has let to the present plight. The board certainly will not improve, and neither will the decision-making.
The management situation speaks for itself. It may sound odd now, but Mr. Buckle seems to have had the right idea: any nonsense and....farewell!
Crowd numbers - now there's a thing. A so-called 'crowd' of just over 3000 for such an important game is appalling - and it won't improve. I can recall being in TUFC's lowest ever crowd (850) about thirty years ago; this is where we are heading.
And just to think, Robin Stubbs once played for Torquay United!
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

wivelgull wrote:There is one terrible truth that is apparent: the days of TUFC being a Football League side are over; if not for ever, then for a very long, long time.
That is something that many posters on here seemed unable to accept! - until now perhaps.
TUFC are where they deserve to be at present, on merit.

They are not too good for the Conference, they are not a league club just biding their team in the Conference for a season. They will remain in the Conference until the players and management team improve.
Currently, we have a management team suited to mid-table Conference football.
Currently, we have a squad of players suited to mid-table Conference football.

The crowds are pretty much suited to Conference football and have been for a while now. yesterday was supposedly an official 'Yellow Day' - and how many TUFC fans bothered to turn out to support the team, just the usual hardy few (who deserve more), and I would think that many of those are wondering if it is all worth it now.
Fans won't return to see the rubbish that posters on here saw yesterday - the sooner the Directorship realise that, the better.

Things at the top need to change .. and soon. let's hope there were no prospective buyers at Plainmoor yesterday. (and let's return to Plainmoor - not this stupid LW stadium).
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

brucie wrote: I cannot for the life of me see why Hargreaves prefers Rice to Seabright in goal. Ok Seabright makes errors but from what I have seen looks the better keeper.
Bit late for that now Brucie. My understanding is that Seabright has left the building and quit football! Which explains why he wasn't involved yesterday .... I think we are planning to bring back the young kid we sold to Southampton as cover for Rice.

Whether Rice is kept on in the summer, or not, we certainly need to bring a decent keeper next season.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

CP Gull wrote: Bit late for that now Brucie. My understanding is that Seabright has left the building and quit football! Which explains why he wasn't involved yesterday .... I think we are planning to bring back the young kid we sold to Southampton as cover for Rice.

Whether Rice is kept on in the summer, or not, we certainly need to bring a decent keeper next season.
Interesting that CP Gull I hadn't heard that!

Another thing that only seems to happen to TUFC!

Rice is defubtely not good enough, a main priority this summer is a new no.1! Rice can stay as back up but isn't up to no.1 imo.
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Seabright - Blimey when did that happen!! Well I guess he thought there was no money in it if he cant get a 1 slot for a mid table conf team
TUST MEMBER
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

CP Gull wrote: Bit late for that now Brucie. My understanding is that Seabright has left the building and quit football! Which explains why he wasn't involved yesterday .... I think we are planning to bring back the young kid we sold to Southampton as cover for Rice.

This should have been a priority at the start of the season Hargreaves has known what Rice was like through experience
of playing with him. Yesterday the first goal he dived behind the striker and did not get anywhere near the ball. :keepie:
UpminsterGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by UpminsterGull »

Almost home after long train journey to London. This season I've only seen the games at home to Welling and away to Bishops Stortford and Barnet. Despite recent reports I was quite shocked how poor the football was yesterday compared to these three games. It was barely better than a park football team. Compare that to the last league game at Mansfield and Torquay have fallen a long way. Last time round we were always in with a chance of promotion . This time it may be a long time before Plainmoor sees league football.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

UpminsterGull wrote:Almost home after long train journey to London. This season I've only seen the games at home to Welling and away to Bishops Stortford and Barnet. Despite recent reports I was quite shocked how poor the football was yesterday compared to these three games. It was barely better than a park football team. Compare that to the last league game at Mansfield and Torquay have fallen a long way. Last time round we were always in with a chance of promotion . This time it may be a long time before Plainmoor sees league football.
It sure will be UG.
When Knill was sacked, many on here said the chance had to be taken to maintain our league status at all costs....
This obviously wasn't done and some of us said that it would be a long time before we saw league football again - the most annoying thing is that we've been here before and everything possible should have been done to protect our league status and nothing was.
As soon as CH bigged himself up for the job he was bound to get it....
And we were doomed then to be relegated.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Seabright gone. I did wonder why he wasn't a sub. Good luck to the guy, he can earn more as sports teacher. How have you heard this news CP Gull? Because as usual if true the club have yet to tell us
Lucy
gullsdiv2
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Louis Briscoe

Post by gullsdiv2 »

I saw Seabright at the game yesterday, walking down family stand steps very gingerly taking one step at a time slowly, looked injured to me