F.A Trophy semi final 2nd leg v Wrexham

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

F.A Trophy semi final 2nd leg v Wrexham

Post by Dave »

Our team go into Saturdays second leg 2.1 behind, I don't think the score line fully told the story of the first leg, reading match reports and talking to friends who were there I think we can count ourselves lucky to still be in with a chance of progressing to the final. Chris Hargreaves view point from the first leg kind of bears out this view point; http://www.torquayunited.com/fixtures-r ... Id=3807279

"From what could have been a bad situation, we are very much in the tie, but Wrexham were better than us for most of this game. We matched them up tactically in the first half but we obviously weren’t good enough man to man, on and off the ball. We changed it, got more width and attacking play, and that reaped rewards in the end.”

This Saturday's second leg for me has become the most important 90 minutes of football of our season, yes the League was the priority, promotion back to the football league and the income that comes with it was vital, however our team now finds itself 13 points and goal difference off the play-off places, therefore we're looking at 11 wins from our last 13 games to have a chance of a play-off place, so personally think our season hinges on Saturday.

Wrexham clearly showed where their priorities lye, Tuesday they made several changes to their starting line up for their home match versus FGR, while our squad had the night off thanks to a controversial late postponement of our match versus Lincoln.

Wrexham's current league form away reads; D-D-L-D-W-L Wrexham's overall current form; W-L-L-D-W-D

Tuesday night Wrexham picked up a decent 0.0 draw home to FGR, however I would expect this side to start Saturday;

01 Coughlin
14 Tomassen
04 Smith
05 Hudson
25 Stephens
02 Carrington (Durrell - 46' )
28 Storer
29 Finley
16 York (Moult - 72' )
10 Bishop Booked
27 Morris

From a Torquay point of view, there seems to be some confusion as whether Tom Cruise is still injured or not, or whether Angus MacDonald is playing with a knock, I don't know of any other injuries or suspensions, but non contract defender Dawson will be cup-tied for this game.

Torquay's current home form reads; D-W-L-W-L-D Torquay's overall current form reads; D-D-D-L-D-W

Last time out for us, the 2.1 away defeat to Wrexham in the first leg, line up as follows;

Martin Rice
Krystian Pearce
Angus MacDonald
Ollivier Gueguen
Levi Ives
James McQuilkin
Luke Young (capt)
Courtney Richards
Toby Ajala
Ryan Bowman
Courtney Cameron (32 John Campbell 55)

I cant see this being our line for Saturday, this line up for Saturday wouldn't surprise me at all, 4-4-2

Rice
Pearce, MacDonald, Gueguen, Ives
Reid, Young, Richards, Ajala
Bowman, Campbell.

Saturday is a Yellow day... http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 96665.aspx

All we can do is get down to Plainmoor Saturday and support the team, wish them good luck, and hope for a place in next months final come 4.45pm
Formerly known as forevertufc
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Cruise is injured so Ives keeps his place. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gueguen move to right-back instead of Pearce with Downes returning in the centre of defence. His leadership and experience could be key.
The most pressing question for me is will the pitch be playable?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I expect the club to go the extra mile to get this game on and succeed. There has been no rain today, none forecast tomorrow, and 40-60 % of rain Saturday, the pitch should be ok, if it isn't dare I suggest our pitch is in a far worse of repair than even we can imagine.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Massive game. This will no doubt in financial terms determine our playing budget next year. The club have to be realistic in the fact we will be a conference club next season. So to get to the final is paramount for a promotion challenge next season. COYY. Please note, if anyone thinks we can win the next 11 of our 13 matches to have a chance of playoffs I wish them well, it ain't going to happen. It all went wrong this season at Alfreton away.
Lucy
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Nothing to lose in this game, we should have been at least 3 goals behind last Saturday.
Get the tactics, shape and attitude right, then go balls out and see what happens on the day!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Those local to TQ1, what's the weather been like? How likely am I to get to Plainmoor to have to do a BurnhamGull and turn back disgruntled?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

RussianGull wrote:Those local to TQ1, what's the weather been like?
Click the link for your answer.. no rain yesterday either, there is some due overnight into Saturday, the pitch should be ok, if it's not, some one needs shooting.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

RussianGull wrote:Those local to TQ1, what's the weather been like? How likely am I to get to Plainmoor to have to do a BurnhamGull and turn back disgruntled?
No rain of note yesterday and a sunny but colder day today.

There could be some rain late tonight, met office says a 60% chance over a few hours into early morning, if we miss that or it's not too bad I would predict the game being on
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Thank you both for the info, I've given the club a ring and they expect it to be on, so game on. Early start for me tomorrow. COYY
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

RussianGull wrote: they expect it to be on, so game on.
That's what they told the Lincoln team on Tuesday too

;-)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

well I will be more than a bit peeved if they do call it off as i have to start early by train and cannot afford to come down twice for the same match. any way be positive. it will be on and I will enjoy a day out. standing on the pop side and lets see if we can reach Wembley. coommmeeeee onnnnn yoooooooooYeeelllooooooooowww
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
UpminsterGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by UpminsterGull »

Same here. Leaving home at 8.15 to get the train down.
I was at Bishops Stortford for the first round and looking forward to a semi final win.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I'll be there after dropping the family off at my Mum's and visiting the old man in Jetty Marsh Hospital......

I think we need an early goal and then it's game on! Not sure how we're doing for team selection but I'd like to see Chapell start.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
UpminsterGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by UpminsterGull »

Phoned the club before boarding train at Paddington and they confirmed game on with no inspection planned.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Hope the players have stronger nerves than mine. I already feel very nervous..... I want to wear a lot of "yellow" but part of me is saying "stick with the same and the lucky socks". It's all nonsense, but I bet a lot of you are thinking the same!