F.A Trophy semi final 2nd leg v Wrexham

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Yep and he'd have been helped by the defence marking their guys allowing him to come and deal with the ball a bit easier, but he is partly culpable for the goal still agreed.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

He's improved a lot of aspects to his game but that's the one glaringly obvious area in need of improvement. If a keeper doesn't dominate his six yard box it puts pressure on the defence. Does make me wonder if Kenny Veysey is doing his job properly because any keeper worth his salt can see it.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

Think he's got better, they were being told to stay at home for a long time here I'm talking back to when we even had Scott Bevan playing for us who was 8ft tall, With the goal I think we could have done more to help him, if that guy is marked up then Ricey has more of a chance of getting to the ball first and we need to do more generally to help him in that aspect. We can't expect him to come and dominate as well as say Bevan or Olejnik could.

Think it was an excellent delivery, it's flat with pace around head height it's a horrible ball to deal with especially with their guy getting the run on him as well which he does because no one picks up the guy stood in the middle of the goal. Kevin Miller was at the game saturday and that was his view as well.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Quote from Western Morning News :

“I had 20 outfield players absolutely going for it in training".

Read more: http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Tor ... z3TFKMNjAH

Mr Hargreaves - Why didn't you put 11 of them on the pitch on Saturday?? :}
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

If the keepers coach is telling them to stay on their line then that makes it more understandable why Ricey seems rooted so often. Big mistake if you ask me and I couldn't ever imagine Flowers or Burridge advising me to do it when they were coaching me.
Dave

royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

the standard motto since has been stay unless you are 100% sure of getting it, like you I don't agree with it either but this is what they've all been told. Bevan, Poke, Olejnik, Rice the lot.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Just got my lad to have a look a the video of the first goal, as many will know my lad is a professionally coached highly rated young keeper himself, and would have been signed himself if he'd grown, at 5ft 11in at 17 will probably only make it as a semi-pro now. His view point is; it's and in swinging cross, if Ricey stays on his line the ball is headed past him into the net, my lad says Rice has to come for it , and probably could and should have got in front of Moult and punched the ball away, however in the main he agrees with Royal, he says three defenders and they are marking no one, and he puts the fault for the goal down to the defenders, who, if he'd been goal would have got mouthful.
Formerly known as forevertufc
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Individual mistakes are part of the game, if everybody were perfect it would not be worth watching.

Looking at the game in its entirety you will observe that our collective attitude was at the very heart of our downfall. We had no performers on the pitch and hence there was no performance.

During the 1st half I seriously thought that we were intentionally trying to slow the game down! We did not get on the front foot until the game was effectively over. It was as if the pressure of any chance of winning was over. Phew......" Thank f*kc I don't have to go to Wembly!" springs to my mind.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Your right, there has to be pride, passion and commitment in the team performance and been lacking for some time now. But no one can blame fans for over analysing goals we concede.

To be fair it's partly down to the level we play at, we're a conference club and there's certain standard of player and yes you'll get mistakes at all levels more so at our level, but the frustration comes when you look over the whole season, and see the same mistake compounded week in week out, the first Wrexham goal how many times have we seen that this season ?

Then you look at Wrexham's second goal, Richards wins the ball from their throw in down the left hand channel, plays and utterly aimless ball into midfield, and slick passing move from Wrexham that could been halted on a number of occasions, but hey it wasn't, then three defenders in a triangle all sucked into the ball unaware of what's around them.

Did we learn, clearly not, third goal, this time they win the ball of our throw down the same channel, and the same three numpties at the back in the same triangle once again sucked it the ball unaware of what's around them and it's in the back of our net again. That's not conference level, that's park U14's stuff, embarrassing.
Formerly known as forevertufc
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Has anyone noticed how many corners we are giving away lately, we seem to be racking them up?
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Southampton Gull wrote:If a keeper goes for the ball he HAS to get it, no excuses. It's the number 1 rule for keepers. ;-)
WOW I agree with you Rice dived waiting for the ball instead of getting in front the man how many goals have we let in like that? :keepie:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

royalgull wrote:Well yeah but that's easier said than done if he didn't go for that the geezer heads it in from 5 yards because our players are stood around scratching their arses!!
Perhaps the've got piles. :keepie:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Southampton Gull wrote:From 5 yards out its keepers ball every time :-D
You are right but this has been happening all season the defensive line should have had a higher starting point the keeper should have organised this as this would have given him a better chance of getting to the ball. The replay shows him behind the player diving for the sake of it. :keepie:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Southampton Gull wrote:If the keepers coach is telling them to stay on their line then that makes it more understandable why Ricey seems rooted so often. Big mistake if you ask me and I couldn't ever imagine Flowers or Burridge advising me to do it when they were coaching me.
I did not know you were a keeper as well, but you must know it's down to natural ability and then the coaches improve on that and some keepers you cannot improve on having the guts and nerve to go for crosses. The most important thing when taking a cross you starting position and moving your feet anticipating where the ball is going. Rice does not move his feet. :keepie:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

We're not talking about coming for crosses Einstein, we're talking about commanding your six yard box ;-)
Dave