F.A Trophy semi final 2nd leg v Wrexham

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

lucy6lucy wrote:Seabright gone. I did wonder why he wasn't a sub. Good luck to the guy, he can earn more as sports teacher. How have you heard this news CP Gull? Because as usual if true the club have yet to tell us
You don't have to wait for CP, I was told last week, from as close to the horses mouth on this one as your going to get, it is the case, no great loss, apparently the lad is taking up a career away from football.
Formerly known as forevertufc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

forevertufc wrote: You don't have to wait for CP, I was told last week, from as close to the horses mouth on this one as your going to get, it is the case, no great loss, apparently the lad is taking up a career away from football.
Thanks. You would have thought they would have got a cover keeper in time for yesterday.
Lucy
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Or used the lad Dan Lavercombe from the youth team.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Could you blame Seabright though - he did ok the last time he was in the team but was left out again for Rice who continues to be at fault week after week.
Lets face it Rice was at fault for the second one at Wrexham last week and was definately at fault for the first goal yesterday.
How on earth were we ever going to be mount a serious promotion challenge with a keeper who must have been culpable for at least twenty goals this season, and thats probably being charitable.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

No, no one can blame him and I'm sure no one will. He's earning a pittance playing second fiddle at a struggling conference club, if he was first choice that would be different as he would be playing regularly developing and there's always a chance he might be picked up be a league club, as a non-playing no2, no chance.

Believe he's off to sell cars for a living, going to earn more money doing that and could pick up a semi-pro gig somewhere, but as said no loss, hardly news worthy, and good luck to him. Problem is neither him or Ricey are good enough in the grand scheme of things, a Berry type non-contract keeper would go down well, with a chance to sign in the summer.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I'm yet to listen to CH but "nobody died"? Stupid prick. Nobody died, but I spent a couple of hundred quid driving down, in the club shop, on my ticket, in the Gulls nest, on the 50/50 draw. Numerous others will have made similar trips to what was once our Mecca.

I sat in the Family Stand next to the Pop. Apparently my ratings of the players differs to most of you lot because Gueguen needs to be signed up!

Rice - first half made a couple of saves, had a poor view for the goals but notable that the first came from a set piece.
Gueguen - wrong side of the stand to really watch him in the first half but second half he was the only shining light, I really think he could become a cult player.
MacDonald - can't comment on what he said to the Pop but I guess it shows passion - something everyone else seems devoid of. Not sure how much to blame he is for goals 2/3 they seemed to come from the left side of defence.
Downes - lack of pace showed.
Ives - short man syndrome.
Richards - useless get rid and replace with someone at least 6inches taller.
McQ - looked to me to be out of position and light weight
Young - take the armband off him, hasn't done anything since he did the draw at Argyle. I wish him well but we're not doing him any favours with our tactics and he's not doing us any favours.
Ajala - baffled why he was taken off, from our viewpoint he was the one who was controlling the attack in the first half. Very noticeable that when he was subbed the goals came from the left of the field. Poor substitution and I said to those around me that we "may as well leave" when he was removed.
Bowman - no service, long ball doesn't suit him, did nothing with the few chances he had.
Campbell - as above but with a bit more of something about him. (Next season? )

Chapell - ran and ran, poor end product didn't use Gueguen who was constantly offering himself.
O'Achie - pointless sub, what about Reid??
Briscoe - Did he touch the ball? This guy isn't a winger.

It's that time of the year when I start thinking of who will stay and who will go. Having visited Torquay Museum pre-match one thing is notable in our current squad there are no heros or fan favourites. We're also crying out for a brute in defence or midfield. The reason we've resorted to hoofball is a lack of confidence in our midfield.

Regardless, the beauty of football is that there's always a 'next year'. Nuneaton away next for me.
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

Frankly, I am still at a loss to know why we signed 2 forward players when everyone can plainly see we are lacking in the centre of the park and in goal. A Jak Mccourt type would have been much more useful. Bags of energy and could get stuck in.
Briscoe is more than capable of playing upfront but is a liability on the wing. Or maybe have a strong holding midfielder and push Young up behind Bowman where he can do damage.
Finally, all good teams start from the back and you have to have a commanding keeper. Number one priority for me. You cannot skimp on this position, we need to put a chunk of our budget on this.
Tust member 191
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Now back to 'normal' after recovering from the shock of yesterday's appalling performance. In my view, this was the tale of two managers. Wrexham had a game plan that worked well. We didn't seem to have any game plan whatsoever - except lump it up in the air and hope. In the first half, Wrexham's game plan seemed to be to contain us, take the 'sting' out of the game, which they did very well, helped by us being so poor. In the second half, the plan seemed to be to attack Ives inexperience on their right and that worked very well, not so much because Ives played poorly but because he was left exposed against a good player (Jennings). Ajala failed to drop back to support him although I think Ajala was struggling a bit after picking up a foot injury just before half time. They were also very quick to close Ajala down so he was obviously recognised as a threat. So there you are - the Wrexham players knew their game plan; our players didn't seem to know if a game plan existed.

I was reasonably happy with Chris Hargreaves' appointment. He'd done well at Exeter and Bournemouth managing youth sides and he always comes across as someone who knows what he wants and where he's going. But there were a lot of comments yesterday about how the team has gone downhill (and still going downhill) since the beginning of the season. I am starting to think he can talk the talk but not walk the walk which is a shame because I think he's a good guy.

As for Angus, I knew he had a go at some of the fans but I was too far away to hear what was said. He should be made to come across to the Pop side before next week's Telford game and hold up his hands and apologise for his actions. He would earn a great deal of respect if he did that. He picked up his 10th booking yesterday so presumably he'll be missing for a couple of matches. No matter - he can still apologise before the match. Feelings were running high yesterday which is understandable after such a poor performance. There are a few players who don't like to get beaten and Angus is one of them. Nevertheless, there was no excuse for him to lose his rag as he did. Agree with most of what Brucie has posted but I was pleased to see Russiangull put in a word for Guegan. I thought he played reasonably well in a poor side. Maybe he would be better as a holding midfielder?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Macdonald was having a go at the popsiders when the ball was still in play. Whatever he said or didn't say makes no difference. He should have focusing on the game. If the players don't like to be beaten why do they keep playing so piss poorly.
No excuses Macdonald's an idiot anyway - booked again. He's a headless chicken. Play Pearce - he is a far better player in any case.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

brucie wrote:Macdonald was having a go at the popsiders when the ball was still in play. Whatever he said or didn't say makes no difference. He should have focusing on the game. If the players don't like to be beaten why do they keep playing so piss poorly.
No excuses Macdonald's an idiot anyway - booked again. He's a headless chicken. Play Pearce - he is a far better player in any case.
My thoughts when i got home yesterday (explicit language warning!)

TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:
My thoughts when i got home yesterday (explicit language warning!)

:lol:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Highlights are up, just watched them wow the goals are so so bad.

1st goal. It's a great delivery into the box but we've got no one within 5 yards of the guy who heads it in, it's a horrible ball for the keeper but he has to go for it which he does just didn't get there but the marking is shocking. Free kick needlessly given away by Downes in the first place.

2nd goal no challenge allowing a runner through, Downes out of position quelle surprise then a mixup with Ives and Guegan or however you spell it 2-0, calamity.

3rd goal Downes again slow to react doesn't deal with it, rinsed for pace and a tap in. Woeful woeful stuff
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

If a keeper goes for the ball he HAS to get it, no excuses. It's the number 1 rule for keepers. ;-)
Dave

royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Well yeah but that's easier said than done if he didn't go for that the geezer heads it in from 5 yards because our players are stood around scratching their arses!!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

From 5 yards out its keepers ball every time :-D
Dave