Wrexham 1st leg

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

who scored for us?
TUST MEMBER
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Neal wrote:who scored for us?
Bowman.
Rex_Ham
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Shinton

Post by Rex_Ham »

Hi TUFC fans

Was at the match today and yes, we were 'all over you'... but as usual (for us), couldn't convert our possession to actual goals!

As it lies, it could go anyway. You lot score an early goal and it's in your court! We score early and it's uphill for you.

Got talking to some Torquay fans in the pub across the way from the ground (explained us Wxm fans have a LOT of respect for Torquay fans from years ago when you had been relegated from the league for WEEKS, but still had a (mini) bus turn up for an end of season game at The Racecourse...PROPER fans ;-) )

Whoever wins, at least Wembley will have some TRUE fans there supporting them on...not just the 'Day Trippers' :bow:

Good luck for the rest of the season (after Sat ;-) )

Regards

Rex
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

Rex_Ham wrote:Hi TUFC fans

Was at the match today and yes, we were 'all over you'... but as usual (for us), couldn't convert our possession to actual goals!

As it lies, it could go anyway. You lot score an early goal and it's in your court! We score early and it's uphill for you.

Got talking to some Torquay fans in the pub across the way from the ground (explained us Wxm fans have a LOT of respect for Torquay fans from years ago when you had been relegated from the league for WEEKS, but still had a (mini) bus turn up for an end of season game at The Racecourse...PROPER fans ;-) )

Whoever wins, at least Wembley will have some TRUE fans there supporting them on...not just the 'Day Trippers' :bow:

Good luck for the rest of the season (after Sat ;-) )

Regards

Rex
Only heard it on the radio today but it sounded like you lot were well on top and should have ended the tie today. The goal from Bowman makes it interesting again. Do you think your manager will play your full strength team against FGR on Tuesday?
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

I think, based on the commentary, that we are extremely lucky to still be in this tie as by the sounds of it, Wrexham could and should have been out of sight by now. At 2-0 it seemed pretty much all over and I fully expected Wrexham to go on and get a third and kill us off. The fact they didn't and we managed to pull it back to 2-1 is a major bonus.

How important that goal by Bowman - only time will tell, but it could just be a lifeline for us and should we get an early goal at Plainmoor next Saturday then there will be a massive turnaround in terms of who is likely to progress. The very fact that a single goal victory for us in 90 minutes will lead to 30 minutes extra time on our own patch means thatl as far as I am concerned this tie is definitely in the balance. Wrexham may well regret all those missed chances .....
StretfordGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by StretfordGull »

Unfortunately that was another abject performance.
In fact, we played very similar to when we played them 3 weeks ago, it's just that they were much better.

There was absolutely no cohesion to our play. We played 4-5-1 in the first half but one of them was Courtney Cameron, so it was more like a 4-4-1. Ajala isn't necessarily a winger either and put about one cross into the box all game. He never knows what he wants to do with the ball either and constantly loses it.
Courtney Richards was atrocious. The guy tries hard, unlike Cameron, but the ball just kind of seems to hit him and pings off in any which direction. He gets his foot in though, which makes him a better option to Harding still.
Young tried hard again, but the incompetence in our side means he's up against it every week.
I quite like Mcquilkin. Looks decent on the ball, gets about a bit.
Bowman wasn't bad. Not great either. It's hard to play up top on your own for an hour though.
Cameron may as well stay on the coach. I'm not sure why he's getting picked.
The back four weren't bad really. They had rather a lot to do all game. Pearce isn't a right back, obviously, and Ives looks desperately short of pace. I'm unconvinced whether he'll play at a top level as a result. He doesn't look much quicker than Nico. He's showing promise for a 17 year old though, no doubt.
I'll reserve judgement on Campbell for now. But I think he's used to having a lot more time on the ball, in lower leagues. Hopefully this is his level.

Their two goals: The first was a terrific hit. He had far too much space mind and the challenge that came in wasn't good enough.
The second was a mistake by Rice. It was going wide, or to safety and Rice essentially palmed it to their striker to score.
He did make a couple of excellent saves though.

The score could have been 6-1, so we'll have to just take it.

We'll have to play a lot better to turn it around, because we were outplayed today.
Can we do it?
I haven't seen a good performance since Chester, last year.

I wish it was a better report.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Well i went by the commo's descritpion of the match. Seemed that no fault could be laid at Ricey for either of the goals. and in fact if it hadnt been for Martin we would have been down and out by half time, let alone the end of the match. so well done Martin. as for one or two others. Seems as if our so called marvel in defence Ives was continualy goofying it. He didn't have a good game at all. may be he isnt quite a brilliant as he obviously thinks he is. If he goes. i can't say i will cry over his loss. One thing I can't abide is a player making out he is the bees knees and demanding better pay/conditions/better club when he can't be arsed to put himself out for the fans who pay his wages. Either he mans up and signs, or ships out.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The trouble with those writing match reports only seeing the team play once in a while is that they miss the continuity.
I 've seen every Trophy match so far and yes we were outplayed in the first half as I lost count how many corners the home side had and to be fair, despite us not closing him down, the opening goal was a great shot from distance.
After 10 minutes of the second half Cameron came off (he wasn't that bad just that he wasn't passed the ball often enough) to allow Campbell to make his debut. His introduction made a big difference.
I'm a great believer in if you sign a player on loan so you should start him instead of sitting on the bench. For me he looks like a goalscorer and it was from his shot/pass to the far post that Bowman continued his feat of scoring in every round of the Trophy.
Yes if I was a Wrexham supporter I couldn't believe why they didn't put the tie out of sight but they didn't.
For me it's only half-time and all to play for. Certainly during the last 15 minutes we could quite possibly have found a second goal.
I have to say if I was the manager I would start Campbell in the 2nd leg as he looks a match winner. Maybe even against Lincoln on Tuesday. Also I would restore Downes into the centre of defence alongside Gus.
Pearce had a great game at right-back, his best for a long time.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Glostergull wrote: Seems as if our so called marvel in defence Ives was continualy goofying it.

It's a form thing, it will pick up.

"Beware the Ives of March (and April)". ;-)

:engflag:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Gullinwotplaces - how can you actually congratulate the team and the manager? - we were by all accounts **** rubbish and got out of jail bigtime. We struggled to beat FC United playing Bowman up front by himself so what does Hargreaves do? - makes the same bloody mistake again.
Goal a game Rice gifts them another one and we only manage to rescue ourselves when we play two up front in the last 15 minutes.
The French bloke can apparently play at right back - if thats the case I cannot understand for the life of me why Hargreaves doesn't play him or indeed Macdonald there aned play Pearce in his right position.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

brucie wrote:Gullinwotplaces - how can you actually congratulate the team and the manager? - we were by all accounts f**king rubbish and got out of jail bigtime. We struggled to beat FC United playing Bowman up front by himself so what does Hargreaves do? - makes the same bloody mistake again.
Goal a game Rice gifts them another one and we only manage to rescue ourselves when we play two up front in the last 15 minutes.
The French bloke can apparently play at right back - if thats the case I cannot understand for the life of me why Hargreaves doesn't play him or indeed Macdonald there aned play Pearce in his right position.
We know the answer to that Brucie.
Hargreaves has no idea.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Chris De Burger
New Signing
New Signing

Post by Chris De Burger »

Always interesting to see the oppositions view of the game, and yes we were the better side on the day. Its took most of the season but we seem to have found the style and players Wilkin wants.

My view on your players
Keeper kept you in the game but flapped at a lot of crosses. Even with his saves it was our poor finishing that prevented us killing the game off.
Your LB struggled all game with the heavy pitch and was constantly overrun. Given his size he should have shone in the conditions.
Your RB was knackered after 60 min and was constantly just to lay the ball off as soon as possible. There didn't seem to be a run in him.
The No. 11 who got subbed was never going to last the game as his frustration was going to cost him, with a different ref it might not have been your managers decision to take him off. Not a dirty player but was loosing his rag towards the end of the second half.
I liked your big bruiser in midfield a ball winner and play maker but final touch did let him down a few times. I felt he was your MOM.

After your sub the game did open up for you but was really disappointed with the goal - I think it came off the lads knee.

If our form continues to improve we should get the result at your place but football is a funny game

Hats off to your fans who made the trip today.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Chris De Burger wrote: My view on your players

Your RB was knackered after 60 min and was constantly just to lay the ball off as soon as possible. There didn't seem to be a run in him.
Thanks for the player ratings. Is it Courtney Richards you are referring to as the midfield bruiser???

Re the highlighted bit, there isn't a forward run in him at all. He is a centre back being played out of position. The couple of times I've seen him there, it shows.
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

Problems: 1.Our midfield & defense was torn to shreds in first half. We have decent defenders, but they were not playing together and midfield were not protecting them. No cohesion is right.
2. Cameron abysmal and did not try. Tried tricks and gave ball away. Get rid.
3. Ajala a good player but not on this surface. Pick someone else, (Brisco/Harding). Why have a right winger when that quarter of the pitch was waterlogged.
4. Bowman needs support from Brisco. Campbell helped but did not really link up apart from the goal.
5. Hargreaves seems to be tactically inept. One up front is no good. He could also have used other subs,

For the record, the pitch was heavy and tiring - there must be changes for midweek game or will be exhausted for next Sat. Rice saved the day several times but palmed the ball from one attacker to another for 2nd goal - however, neither attacker was being marked! Levi tries hard but does not have a commanding presence. Finally, great support from travelling gulls.
Chris De Burger
New Signing
New Signing

Post by Chris De Burger »

Yep it was Courtney Richards. Interesting that Stretford Gull described him as atrocious were as I've got him as your MOM. Guess it's all about opinions.