Eastleigh v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

First half from a Torquay point of view was poor, team looked flat and devoid of confidence, goal conceded disappointing, Rice and everyone around just motionless, thought to be honest we were lucky to go at 1.1. Second half a much better showing, asked some questions of Eastleigh's back line, think on chances a draw would have been a fair result, but we needed some luck and happy to take the win.

Ajala just on effort along right now is our best player, the French lad at the back looks a good signing, hopefully be able to keep him next term on a proper contract, the service up to Bowman and the front players does need to improve.

Final word for Eastleigh seriously hope for their sake they do not arrive in the football league, gord help them if they do when clubs will bring more fans, louder and passionate than we are, not a clue, what was it their club official said in the bar before hand when a Torquay fan had a lively bottle of beer 'we don't mind a little sing song, but your taking the piss' like to see them try and control 400 bury fans.. :)

EDIT;Forgot, it was great meeting up again with SG Scotty and a few others, all in all great day out.
Last edited by Dave on 14 Feb 2015, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

tomogull wrote:Does anyone know what's happened to Courtney Cameron? Is he injured or simply out of favour? I'm not saying for one minute that he should be playing because he's been pretty ineffective this season. It could be useful to bring him on late in games but it seems that even when there are several players out as there were last Saturday, he doesn't even make the bench.
So Cameron is fit and in from the cold, then. By reports on here, he seems to have made a difference when he came on. Let's hope he has regained some of his form after being out of favour for so long.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Cameron was ok when he came on, don't think he set the world alight, though a bit positive and direct than I've seen him in while, so many about to run into some form.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I'm interested to find out if Hargreaves played with two strikers in a 4-4-2 or the same as last week 4-3-3
nobody has told us the team or formation. Judging by some of the comments it could be 4-4-2 :keepie:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

tomogull wrote: You've posted this twice, Arcadia. Once was one time too many .......... :red: ;-)
Sorry ref but my fingers shaky. :keepie:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

GULLSCORER played !
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

A shit showing today - easily the worst I've ever seen the team play. I was surprised to not see the team arrested at the end for the most obvious robbery in broad daylight I've ever seen!!

That said, a win is a win and three vital points towards an unlikely play off place - this time last season I was over to see the club play against Pompey and we picked up three points before getting relegated....hopefully this time around we will go on a decent run instead.

Chris Hargreaves, I'm more than happy to be sponsored by the club to attend the rest of the games - I'm clearly a lucky omen ;-)

Great to see Dave, Dave, taxi lady, Dave's mates, Dave and his three mates, Paul, Alex, Neil and others ( a bit pissed now, so names escape me) - oh, yellow and his wife too!!

Thanks to Dave who showed the club steward the error of his ways when a few of the Torquay youth (Though to be fair, I've had tougher shits) decided to spray beer over some Eastleigh supporters. If it wasn't for Dave, the whole of us could have been chucked out for doing nothing, so thanks SG for ensuring that common sense prevailed.

Quick nod for Courtney Cameron - great running and got the defence in a panic most of the time. Thought Richards was excellent in the second half. Briscoe never stopped running, Bowman the same, though both had little support.
Levi - I was impressed with him, though their right winger had him sussed towards the end - luckly camero helped him out.

Kudos also to Rice, who made a fantastic save towards the end of the match to save the result. Certainly made up for his horrendous mistake with the goal.

Onwards and upwards.

COYY!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

The worst you've ever seen them play - are you serious? The second-half just showed what this team can achieve.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Just humour him - he doesn't see many games so doesn't really have a clue
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Great to do the double over Eastleigh - lets face it they are not a proper football club and pay over inflated wages to players like Midson and Constable who are basically just crap.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

nickbrod wrote:The worst you've ever seen them play - are you serious? The second-half just showed what this team can achieve.
Yes. Compared to other showings (and bare in mind that I only really get to see them play once a season), it's up there with one of the worst showings I've seen, that's for sure.

As for Brucie (Terry), well given that he usually bases his diatribe on what he has heard and not what he's seen, I think we can safely ignore what this cretin has to say.

STIP
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Hey Scotty lad

Really chuffed they got a win for you today man. :-D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Scott Brehaut wrote: Yes. Compared to other showings (and bare in mind that I only really get to see them play once a season), it's up there with one of the worst showings I've seen, that's for sure.

As for Brucie (Terry), well given that he usually bases his diatribe on what he has heard and not what he's seen, I think we can safely ignore what this cretin has to say.
I'm in the middle here. Brucie may make comments that wind up other members, but at heart he is a loyal fan, and that is what the club needs. A win is a win, we have had so much bad luck recently and indeed heartbreak when defending a lead, so just congratulate the team on a great away win. As stated you only attend a match a season , so if you think today was a poor performance, you might have wanted to witness numerous other matches this season to understand that today was probably not to bad( I can only comment on Telford(a) Altrincham(a) Gateshead(h) this season, and believe me they where shocking. Brucie was simply saying if you think today was bad , then maybe you should have seen other recent performances to appreciate today was encouraging.
Lucy
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Loyal fan? I'm sure he spends lots of money supporting the club, but he decides to go usually based on how we are playing - whilst I only get to go once a season (at considerable expense), I do at least go, regardless of form.

STIP
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

An enjoyable match on a bitterly cold day. First half both sides were very disjointed.

Gueguen and MacDonald were solid throughout, although it was a weak header straight to their centre half from Gueguen that led to him looping a header over everyone and onto Burton's foot for a tap in. The defending from that looping header was non-existant. They hit the bar not long afterwards. Fits and starts from both sides for the remainder of that first half, with Chapell looking lively on the right before going off.

The best chance came near the end of the half where Bowman rounded their keeper, but had his shot well blocked. From the resulting corner came the breakthrough. I had a poor view but it was a timely equaliser in stoppage time of the first half. Seen it described as Gueguen chesting it down with back to goal, turning and volleying into the top corner. I saw the top corner bit.

Second half we were the better team throughout, I thought. Ajala played the sort of game I've become used to with him. Hardworking, plenty of skill and creative. Briscoe ran his socks off. Cameron showed the odd glimpse of what we know he's got. We flowed well going forward. I think it was from Ajala's persistence and squaring of the ball that Cameron hit the post from; it bounced onto Flitney's back and Bowman put into an empty net.

There was some pressure from Eastleigh, but I didn't get the feeling we were going to let this one slip. We were, quite simply, better than them. Not always enough, of course.

Rice 6.5 (Came out a bit more. Two good saves. Soft goal, but not the only one at fault.)
Pearce 6 (He's a centre back. But did alright. No Dawson in squad. Why? Cup tied for Wrexham games perhaps reasoning)
MacDonald 7.5 (Aggressively good)
Gueguen 7 (Like him. Composure.)
Ives 5.5 (Better going forward than defensively today. Got skinned once too often for mine and forever's liking)
Ajala 8 (my MOTM)
Young 6 (Not overrun.)
Richards 6.5 (good tackling. Poor distribution at times)
Chapell 7/Cameron 7 (flashes of what we like from both)
Briscoe 7 (Decent. Worked hard.)
Bowman 8 (Worked his nuts off. Got his reward)