Eastleigh v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Object all you like but there was plenty of evidence of just that only yesterday. I didn't say our whole fanbase though so I'd hardly call it a sweeping statement. My point was totally valid and not meant to offend.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Formerly known as forevertufc
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Southampton Gull wrote:The song did indeed get an airing, the.instigator being my son who having been brought up in neighbouring Fair Oak has plenty to say about the town ;-)

I'm pretty sure they give free entry to kids using their pitches which incidentally are in use 7 days a week, so they're investing in their future support

They recruited some of the best known and hardest working figures from local football and are very active in recruiting the cream of local talent to represent them from an early age. They've got most angles covered from what I can see and have close ties with lots of ex-Saints who do promotional work for them. It was only a few years ago that they were vying with Histon, the difference being they've been concentrating on infrastructure and development up till now and so have taken longer to get there but I have no doubt they'll continue rising and end up with a sustainable lower league club, not fall flat on their faces as Terry would have us believe.
There is something about Eastleigh, that is not dissimilar to Exeter Chiefs rise - notwithstanding the actual stand that came from Sandy Park. A bit of money behind them, granted, but the vision that embeds roots in its community is something that TUFC have never seemed to be able to do. Go to Chiefs on matchday at 10 in the morning and then are countless amounts of kids getting tours around the ground, coaching from first-team players, taking part in pre-match and half-time routines and they have a good chance of catching some of those young souls for a long time.

The match experience at Sandy Park is in a different league to TUFC and that was before they even got promoted to the Premiership. It was the same when they operated in the semi-pro division below.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

forevertufc wrote:Makes an interesting read..http://tssc-eastleighfc.proboards.com/t ... es-torquay
Just add, my whole experience of their club was a positive one, sent two e-mails both replied to very quickly by EFC, I found their stewards in the car parks before and after the game polite and helpful and well organised, don't understand why they don't charge 50p-£1 to park their on match days though.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

forevertufc wrote: Just add, my whole experience of their club was a positive one, sent two e-mails both replied to very quickly by EFC, I found their stewards in the car parks before and after the game polite and helpful and well organised, don't understand why they don't charge 50p-£1 to park their on match days though.
Agree. I went with a friend yesterday who has physical disabilities. Steward we chatted with (also stewards at St. Mary's) couldn't have been more helpful.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

hector wrote: There is something about Eastleigh, that is not dissimilar to Exeter Chiefs rise - notwithstanding the actual stand that came from Sandy Park. A bit of money behind them, granted, but the vision that embeds roots in its community is something that TUFC have never seemed to be able to do. Go to Chiefs on matchday at 10 in the morning and then are countless amounts of kids getting tours around the ground, coaching from first-team players, taking part in pre-match and half-time routines and they have a good chance of catching some of those young souls for a long time.

The match experience at Sandy Park is in a different league to TUFC and that was before they even got promoted to the Premiership. It was the same when they operated in the semi-pro division below.

I've heard the same from more than a few Exeter supporters and it just frustrates me that we don't seem able to do the same. This has always been one of my biggest criticisms of the board since they took over. They had the chance to do exactly the same but for some reason it's always done half heartedly. I realise Torbay has an almost unique demographic in terms of an elderly population full of people from other parts of the country and a younger element that has to leave to find employment but it's still possible to get them supporting the club.
Dave

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Very interesting comments Dave (SG) and i have to say i agree with every one of your posts on the Eastleigh / Torquay debate.

Spot on IMO.

Good luck to Eastleigh. It would certainly appear that they know what they are doing.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I see Deon Burton scored the Eastleigh goal. He played for York at Cheltenham on loan earlier in the season then got a bad injury in the following home game which i was led to believe ended his season. Obviously not then.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Just because its your local club means feck all really though. if they have got 100 pitches around their actual pitch so what. Thats no comparison with Torquay though because our ground is surrounded by errr streets. If there were kids games on then its fairly obvious that the area might be busy first thing in the morning.
The notion that all these kids and parents who turned up to watch a kids game at 0930 in the morning would hang around until three o'clock to watch Eastleigh play is fanciful - if its so busy why are they currently the 13th best supported side in the Conference then? Clearly the mums and dads and little johhnys bugger off to do the shopping and don't go and watch Eastleigh afterwards, so that argument is blown completely out of the water.
Its not all about Midson and Constable? - thats rubbish, of course it is if the insurance guy pulls out then basically they will burst.
Paying rubbish players inflated wages just isn't sustainable long term.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Ha Ha - just read that thread - no stewards, people turning up at half past two then driving home again because there is nowhere to park (And this is with a crowd of 1800) - yep they are a real big club - more like Mickey Mouse springs to mind.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:Ha Ha - just read that thread - no stewards, people turning up at half past two then driving home again because there is nowhere to park (And this is with a crowd of 1800) - yep they are a real big club - more like Mickey Mouse springs to mind.
On the other hand, they are 6th in the league with a reasonable chance of getting in the play offs. We are 14th without a snowball's chance in hell of getting in the play offs.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Brucie - I am unclear, other than the fact you have backed yourself into a corner, as to why you are being so vociferous about Eastleigh FC. SG, who lives nearby, has described the situation, and there are no doubt lessons that can be learned in building up an infrastructure, from that club.

We all know, that until recently, TUFC have been sleepwalking to oblivion and thus the comparison is between one stuck in its ways and one that is progressive and growing. Eastleigh may have money behind them, and they may be in trouble if the moneymen went, but you cannot deny, that whatever they are doing, they are moving in the right direction.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

hector wrote:Brucie - I am unclear, other than the fact you have backed yourself into a corner, as to why you are being so vociferous about Eastleigh FC. SG, who lives nearby, has described the situation, and there are no doubt lessons that can be learned in building up an infrastructure, from that club.

We all know, that until recently, TUFC have been sleepwalking to oblivion and thus the comparison is between one stuck in its ways and one that is progressive and growing. Eastleigh may have money behind them, and they may be in trouble if the moneymen went, but you cannot deny, that whatever they are doing, they are moving in the right direction.
:goodpost: Exactly Hector. No need to be unclear - Brucie is being his argumentative self. It's his lifeblood ! ;-)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Quite funny that Terry picks up on the stewards seeing as he seems to get into trouble with ours on a regular basis.

As for the kids, there were plenty of them in the ground to watch the game as highlighted by rjc and not only that they were more than adequately catered for once inside the ground.

Unfortunately Terry you seem to have wound yourself up in the face of undeniable evidence that a club can come from nowhere and build something for us to be envious of if they do it right, Eastleigh are certainly doing that. If you think they will go bust because their current backer pulls out then yet again you're deluding yourself. People are queing up to get involved with a progressive ambitious club like Eastleigh, if only we had the same eh? If you looked on their website the current chairman wrote a nice piece to Bristol Rovers and explained that they are learning as they go and how he appreciated their behaviour etc. They are learning pretty fast if you ask me.
What I'm trying to point out is that we could and should be doing something similar, who knows, you might even then be tempted to buy a season ticket and get more involved with the club ;-)
Dave

diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

I found everyone, from the car park attendants to the ladies in the club shop, really helpful a friendly. Could not have been nicer people. Had a bit of banter with the Eastleigh supporters in the 2nd half, but it was all amicable, as I said banter.

It was very easy to exit the free car park, at the end of the game, as they allowed each "line" to go in turn. One of the attendants told us the best way to go to get back onto the M27, and I didnt even ask him for directions!

It's a ground that I could quite easily go to, and watch my football, every other week. Good luck to them.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."