Wrexham v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Wrexham Away 31st January

Post by portugull »

Pleased to see our opponents, Wrexham,next Saturday have to travel to Tyne & Wear to play Gateshead in F A Trophy replay on Wednesday 28th.

Given the long journey and only 2 days recovery this will hopefully give us a decent chance of an away win which we need so badly to get a good run of results going.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

So very bad weather predicted later in the week-sure to snow in North Wales.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

At the moment every other week seems like an F.A Trophy game, Saturday sees our team return to league action with a visit to the Racecourse ground to meet Wrexham. This match gives the team another chance to gain their first win double of the season, earlier in the season United triumphed 2.1 over The Dragons in a match that will be remembered for a controversial goal scored by Louis Moult, at the time many critized Martin Rice, myself included for kicking the ball against Moult who then rounded Rice to slot home into an empty net, however since then seen two almost identical incidents and the referee has blown in favour of the keeper, so once again it seems to be down to consistency and maybe we were a tad harsh on Martin Rice.

Wrexham in many ways are having a similar season to us, both us and The Dragons were expected to at least push for a play-off place, although still in the F.A Trophy reply postponed this week, Wrexham like us have been disappointing in the league finding points hard to come by in these last few months, however with home advantage expect this to be another stern test for The Gulls.

For those fans traveling to the game http://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/club/racecourse/

Wrexham are no strangers to United we've played them a number of times before. Head to head at the Racecourse shows; Wrexham 10 wins Torquay 4 wins and draws 4. Overall head to head Wrexham 15 wins Torquay 14 wins Draws 8.

Wrexham are currently sat 17th in the Conference premier division and current league form reads as follows; W-D-L-W-L-L

Last time out Wrexham drew 1.1 with Gateshead in the F.A Trophy and lined up as follows;

Coughlin
Tomassen
Smith
Waterfall
Ashton
Clarke
Keates
Carrington
Moult (Bailey-Jones 87)
Bishop
York (Harris 67)

From a Torquay point of view. Luke Young misses the game through suspension, Durrell Berry now departed signing for Cheltenham, Angus MacDonald may be a doubt along with Tom Cruise who missed last weeks game through injury, I know of no other injury news although would expect Jordan Seabright to return in goal, not sure this is a welcome return to league action, the F.A Trophy is fast turning into the only bright point of the season, midweek games saw us drop to 14th in the league and now 7 points of the play-offs with a number of sides still having games in hand, promotion is now looking a distant dream, Wrexham are not in great form themselves right now and we're running out of games, it's now or never.

United were forced into playing a makeshift defence last Saturday, if I've read match reports correctly it suggested that both Pearce and McQuilkin played at right back, surely with previous experience at Salisbury if fit MacDonald should play at right back and push McQuilkin up into Luke Young's position.

Torquay are sat 14th in the Conference premier division, current league form reads as follows; L-L-D-D-D-L

Last time out Torquay won 0.2 away at Hemel Hempstead in the F.A Trophy and lined up as follows;

Martin Rice
Angus MacDonald(Jordan Chapell )
Krystian Pearce
Aaron Downes (capt)
Levi Ives
James McQuilkin
Courtney Richards
Ben Harding
Toby Ajala
Louis Briscoe(Duane Ofori-Acheampong )
Ryan Bowman.
Formerly known as forevertufc
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

not sure why Jordan Seabright would return for this (if the snow doesn't get it called off !); Ricey had a very good game last week ?
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Although reported 'injured' Cruise was in fact on the subs' bench at Hemel. Might the weather play some part in this fixture?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes, the weather could have an affect on this game, who knows how much snow or where at moment no one can be to sure. I suggested Seabright could be recalled for two reasons, one, he had done nothing wrong in the match's leading up to the Trophy game, two, CH like some many others up and the levels tends to play a different keeper in the cup competitions. It was not an attempt in way to bash Ricey, I've largely been supportive when others have wanted to hang him, also I could be wrong Ricey may keep his place.

Thanks for the Cruise info.
Formerly known as forevertufc
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

MacDonald a doubt after his thigh injury last Saturday and now Harding who is nursing a hamstring strain. Sign Dawson on non-contract terms to allow McQuilkin to play mid-field?
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Harding injured again? Surely not! I wouldn't be surprised to see Rice retain his place. Seabright was partly at fault for the first goal at Altrincham and as Hargreaves has been playing his strongest side in the FA Trophy, I don't think it was just a case of giving Rice a game last week. Seabright only got his place back in the team because Rice was injured/unwell.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular

Post by A Realist »

forevertufc wrote:Yes, the weather could have an affect on this game, who knows how much snow or where at moment no one can be to sure. I suggested Seabright could be recalled for two reasons, one, he had done nothing wrong in the match's leading up to the Trophy game, two, CH like some many others up and the levels tends to play a different keeper in the cup competitions. It was not an attempt in way to bash Ricey, I've largely been supportive when others have wanted to hang him, also I could be wrong Ricey may keep his place.

Thanks for the Cruise info.
I would think that the first goal he let in at Alrincham was seen by a fair few as very poor goalkeeping and I know some who think he should have done better for the second as well.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Hoping this will be postponed, so that we are a bit stronger e.g. Young back in the team by the time it was rearranged.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

hector wrote:Hoping this will be postponed, so that we are a bit stronger e.g. Young back in the team by the time it was rearranged.
Would that mean he would miss the Cup / Trophy Quarter-Final? Or will he anyway? I'm struggling to keep up with the indiscipline in this particular phase of Torquay United history ;-)
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular

Post by A Realist »

stefano wrote: Would that mean he would miss the Cup / Trophy Quarter-Final? Or will he anyway? I'm struggling to keep up with the indiscipline in this particular phase of Torquay United history ;-)
He's got one game left to go of his ban so whoever are the next opponents is the game he will miss.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

As I thought yesterday Dawson now signed as a non-contract player. I guess he's likely to start tomorrow to allow McQuilkin to fill in for Young.
moldroadred
Trialist
Trialist

Post by moldroadred »

Wrexham fan in peace.
The snow has missed us and we have not had any frost, so unless we have rain of biblical proportions the game will be on.
Best of luck for the rest of the season, after tomorrow of course :)
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

If anyone knows of a iPad compat radio link for us exiles, please let us know