FA Trophy Quarter-Final vs. FC United of Manchester

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well I must say that was a good result but an awful game.

I was sat in the Bench right next to 2 F A officials. One was Mike Reed former Premier League referee who was the Assessor for todays ref.

Had a chat at half time and full time. He wanted to see the video before committing himself on whether Ryan Bowman was offside.

Ref got it all wrong at the end as 4th official was not instructed to put up his Board to show how many minutes of added time.

Chris Hargreaves, quite rightly, was going mad with the 4 th official but the rule is he must be instructed by the ref who forgot!!

Black mark I guess for the ref.

I thought Levi Ives was outstanding again.

North Ferriby please!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

It was a strange line up.

433 was fair enough but arcadia is right about Briscoe. He is far more effective in a two man attack because he lacks the pace to operate wide out. Would have preferred Yeoman on the right.

To have Pearce at RB rather than McDonald was also a strange decision - it nearly cost us in the second half when they started to play on him. I suppose the switch to probing our right side was a backhanded compliment to Ives on the left who hardly put a foot wrong. Guegain was also effective as a replacement for Downes although they did start to win more aerial balls after Downes went off.

My MOTM was Richards who was generally excellent in the holding role and played Bowman through for the goal. Young looked a shadow of the player we saw earlier in the season. McQuilkin did well though.

Chappell made a real difference when he came on and we reverted to 442.

The FCUM supporters were awesome all game - shame they had to spoil it with three flares - we could now be heading for a significant fine which might take some of the gloss off the win bonus and gate receipts.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I agree it seemed strange to have Pearce at right back, but what was stranger was subbing McQuilin, who had a good game, when McDonald was clearly injured. Pearce should have been moved inside with McQuilkin dropping to RB. FCUM were real triers but we showed to quality albeit rarely. We seemed to be unable to resist trying the complicated when the simple would be more effective. On the few occasions we got the ball down and moved it with 1 or 2 touches, avoiding stepovers and flicks we were effective. FCUM fans were great and good to see their players applaud Torquay fans.
TUST number 080
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

I am delighted with the result and it's great to be in the semi-final and making a bit of money in the process. But what a poor performance today from Torquay and we could have had no complaints if we lost. FCUM had several clear chances that they did not convert and thankfully a piece of quality from us won us the match. Full credit to FCUM for their fully committed display and fabulous fans, all 1,363 of them. I have not heard such noise and passion from an away team for years. Only Portsmouth could rival that. I loved the vintage look of FCUM - players numbered 1 to 11, no names on the back of shirts or sponsor names on the front. It was a real throw back to how football used to be and their strip was just like what Best, Law and Charlton used to wear. Crowd a healthy 3,805 and sponsors MOTM going to match winner Bowman.

There's little to report about the actual match as we had so few chances of note. Our 4-3-2-1 formation just did not work and it was only when Chapell replaced the anonymous McQuilkin and reverted to 4-4-2 did we pose any sort of threat. There was no fluency about our game, if there were 1 or 2 good passes it was typically followed by a poor one. The only players to come out with credit were Rice who had a solid game, the lively Ives at left back, Richards who got stuck in in central midfield, debutant Frenchman Gueguen who replaced the injured Downes and looked a calm assurance at the back, and Chappell who ran well at a tiring FCUM defence. The home support was also lacking in chants and all the noise was coming from the away end. Both on the pitch and off we were quite embarrassing and FCUM did everything right but score.

Bowman did have a clear chance in the second half but predictably screwed his shot wide when through on goal on our right. It was our first serious attempt on goal. Meanwhile FCUM cranked up the pressure and it seemed a matter of time before they got a deserved goal. If they had a finisher today they would have ran out comfortable winners. Bowman until he scored was having a "mare" of a match and minutes before he scored he was clear on the left but crossed weakly to FCUM. Torquay fans vented their anger at him but soon after a threaded ball by Richards sent Bowman through on goal with their keeper to beat. Bowman held his nerve, rounded the keeper and slotted home on 82 minutes! All was forgiven and Bowman had turned from villian to hero in the space of a couple of minutes. FCUM struck the crossbar and kept the pressure up and the game opened up. Torquay should have had a second when Briscoe was through on the right but tried to find Bowman and the ball went tamely past the far post. Torquay held out as undeserved winners.

It was a poor and disjointed performance that gave me little confidence for the rest of the season. Downes is now out injured, MacDonald hobbled through most of the second half and we led a very charmed life today. Maybe our name is on the cup! As for FCUM they were a real credit, their players harried and hassled us out of our stride and they had the clearer chances and their fans were magnificent who gave their team a great send off at the end. It was good to see some Torquay fans staying giving them a good reception at the end. It was a memorable day for the atmosphere and that we won, but not for our performance.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Heisenberg wrote:All the best for the semi finals
Thanks for that.

Whilst we are delighted to have progressed, the overriding memory from today (as I am sure you have heard and will hear more in the future) was how superb your fans were. It really was unbelievable, the support from beginning to end, the only time we managed to quieten you was for a couple of minutes after the goal ... but that was it!

Long after the actual game has been forgotten - let's face it, it wasn't the best and we were lucky to progress - the memory of your fans will stay longer.

With that sort of support and with the community feel around your club you are destined for a bright future. I have said before that I can see you achieving similar sort of success to say AFC Wimbledon, but actually after seeing first hand what your club is all about I actually think you could probably go further than them, in time.

Brilliant support and your players were a credit to you - they fought to the very last and so nearly equalised with that header. Believe me, there would not have been too many amongst our support who would have fancied our young team in a replay at your "cauldron" on a Tuesday night!

Best of luck in the League, you deserve to make it this time around.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

Bowmans Goal
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Didn't get the performance but got the result!

Interesting we played 3 in the middle when we hoofed it all day long and bypassed that area!

Pearce at RB is such a big no! McDonald or McQuilken should play when Dawson can't, clearly uncomfortable!

Great atmosphere by the away support, would be nice to see Plainmoor like that more often!

Thought Ives handled himself well and Gueguen looked great when he came on

look forward to the draw on monday :scarf: :scarf:
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

First game in a while for me, I was really looking forward to this one as I would love to see us actually win a trophy. The price reduction and the expectation of a decent crowd and atmosphere was also a draw (The admission price was certainly a lot nearer to what it should be). I actually managed to drag my son along as well, which has always been difficult, hence why I dont go to many matches these days.

Anyway, I have to agree with many other posters reports on here that FCUM were the better side at times, created more chances and deserved something out of the game.

In all the years I have watched and supported Torquay I have always been blindly optimistic, patient, understanding, looked for postives and never really criticised the team, when we have lost I always said we are unlucky even when we probably werent, but I am sorry to say, even though we won today, I think we are bloody crap. Some supporters around me said we were getting dragged down to FCUM's level but to be fair I thought they played well considering they are lower league than us.

I have seen some awful, clueless Torquay sides but this lot are by far one of the worst. No cohesion, no real gameplan, style of play or tactics. Players who head or hoof the ball aimlessly just hoping for the best. Not much of trying to get the ball down and even trying to pass to a team-mate, players just trying to get rid of the ball as quick as possible. Players hiding or going missing from the game for intervals. instances where players where running into trouble and team-mates nearby were making no effort to support. Some awful ball control also.

I have seen all this or similar before many times before and I know we are only at a non-league level now but we are supposed to be a professional team/club and apart from Levi Ives using a bit of football brain at times and at least trying to play, McDonald giving it his all despite clearly carrying an injury and the French lad Guegan coming on and looking quite composed and steady we were terrible. All the players just kept giving the ball away or booting it and heading it anywhere. I read earlier a criticism about Guegan heading it to the opposition well not being funny but every player in yellow was doing the same. I dont wish to single players out but I cant understand how a few have felt Courtney Richards had a good game, his control was terrible and he just doesnt seem to want the ball, he boots it away just anywhere and his positioning was poor. From match reports earlier in the season Richards and many of his team-mates can perform much better than this and some of my compadres on the pop today kept expressing this view and cannot understand why we have gone backwards so much. apart from possibly quite a few knowing they are not in future plans, what has happened?

Saying that, I believe many of our problems are down to coaching and management!

FCUM fans were brilliant and a credit, they never really stopped making noise and l loved the fun of inflatables being chucked about (been down the harbouside guys), but sadly to be honest apart from a spell at the beginning of the game a couple of chants during and, then for a good couple of songs after we had won I thought our support wasnt all that good and for a cup tie it was far too quiet. I thought it was going to be better to be honest. Despite the cold weather I even felt we might have got a few more supporters in today but obviously the apathy has gone deeper and deeper.

I'm over the moon and pleased as punch we are through, I really want us to win this trophy as we arent going to do anything else this season, but if I had to pay full price for that i would have been really p!$$ed off.

Sorry to sound so critical or brutal but Im just being honest and calling it how I saw it.

:scarf:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Recent posts underline to show football is so much a matter of personal opinion. For me this was a typical cup tie of one team from a higher league playing another from a lower league. Why are we so surprised that FC United raised their game; we would have done the same had say Arsenal been the visitors.
Why are so many Torquay "fans" looking for reasons to slate the management?
We are Torquay United and through circumstances nobody is enjoying where we are but unless the carpers can lead a new consortium there is nothing we can change. A semi-final of a national competition seems a pretty good achievement. Anybody see Bristol Rovers in the draw?
At least we have a club to support unlike those in Salisbury and Hereford.
We should be celebrating our team being two games from a Wembley final; we won today and well done the management and team for doing so.
FC United support was fantastic and if their side play like that every week they are certainly destined to join the Conference soon and do well.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Well that was a dire performance. Why Hargreaves played a 4-3-3 marooning Bowman up front by himself was beyond me. We only started to look effective once we reverted to 4-4-2. I was level - Bowman was nowhere near offside.
As for their supporters - well throwing flares on the pitch isn't acceptable at all.
Waiting to enter the ground at the main entrance - two clearly pissed up away supporters were waiting behind me trying to enter the ground. They were wearing Fc Manchester - scarfs and hats.
I asked the female steward why she was not preventing them entering the home end. To this she said "its nothing to do with me" I'm response and turned her back so I could read the words "Response" on her jacket.
Really you couldn't make this up. At half time four or five home supporters were having a crafty drag of a cigarette just inside the main turnstile area where there is a machine where you can stub out your cigs.
An orange jacketed steward came running down towards them shouting "You can't do that - put those cigarettes out". When one indicated that the machine was there for that purpose the steward said that it was only for the staff!!
So there you have it - if your an away supporter, you can throw things on the pitch or indeed get pissed don't have a ticket and try to get in the home turnstiles and thats no problem at all.
However if your a home supporter prepare to be picked on for the slightest reason. Nothing changes.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

nickbrod wrote:Recent posts underline to show football is so much a matter of personal opinion. For me this was a typical cup tie of one team from a higher league playing another from a lower league. Why are we so surprised that FC United raised their game; we would have done the same had say Arsenal been the visitors.
We are Torquay United and through circumstances nobody is enjoying where we are but unless the carpers can lead a new consortium there is nothing we can change. A semi-final of a national competition seems a pretty good achievement. Anybody see Bristol Rovers in the draw?
We should be celebrating our team being two games from a Wembley final; we won today and well done the management and team for doing so.
FC United support was fantastic and if their side play like that every week they are certainly destined to join the Conference soon and do well.
I agree with this. Why would we expect FC United to treat it like a typical league game, they'd be in our position (2 games away from Wembley) if they won it, they were clearly going to be up for it and it's psychology that they were going to raise their game in the thoughts that they're playing opposition from 2 leagues above. Plus even if we weren't playing our best, we still got the result. Everyone was praising Arsenal when they got dominated by City and still got a result, but when you get to non league, or Torquay United more specifically, it shows a lack of quality and poor management? It's results that matter at the end of the day, not great performances consistently. Ideally we're not doing great in the league but for a manager who's in his first full seasons of management and got a fair few players on huge wages that we're stuck with, getting to the semis has to be seen as a great achievement!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I've just read Chunkygull's post and you know what ? I agree with every single word. I usually watch matches from the Pop side but for the very first time today, I was up in Bristow's Bench. A mate came along who hasn't been for several seasons and he said "this is the worst Torquay United side I have ever seen". I couldn't disagree with him but I did point out that he didn't see them play last season !

You get a different perspective looking down from the Bench. There was no organisation - just headless chickens crowding into the centre of the pitch. Nothing out wide until Jordan Chappell came on. Like Chunky, I don't understand how people on here can say Richards played well. His ball control and passing were dreadful. The one thing he did well was the through ball to Bowman who was not offside by the way. We were level with the play where we were sat. Yes, we won and it's good we're in the semi finals but as things stand, we're in the Conference for a long, long time. Levi Ives was a shining light in the gloom today and Guergon (?) looked a composed player. Maybe one for next season if Downes isn't offered/doesn't agree a new contract? We were very, very lucky to win today. FC Utd deserved at least a draw. It won't be long before we'll be playing them in the Conference.
Heisenberg
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Tom Greaves

Post by Heisenberg »

CP Gull wrote: Thanks for that.

Whilst we are delighted to have progressed, the overriding memory from today (as I am sure you have heard and will hear more in the future) was how superb your fans were. It really was unbelievable, the support from beginning to end, the only time we managed to quieten you was for a couple of minutes after the goal ... but that was it!

Long after the actual game has been forgotten - let's face it, it wasn't the best and we were lucky to progress - the memory of your fans will stay longer.

With that sort of support and with the community feel around your club you are destined for a bright future. I have said before that I can see you achieving similar sort of success to say AFC Wimbledon, but actually after seeing first hand what your club is all about I actually think you could probably go further than them, in time.

Brilliant support and your players were a credit to you - they fought to the very last and so nearly equalised with that header. Believe me, there would not have been too many amongst our support who would have fancied our young team in a replay at your "cauldron" on a Tuesday night!

Best of luck in the League, you deserve to make it this time around.
It's been a very long day but this will live long in the memory along with our other high profile games against Brighton and Rochdale (and Quorn :lol: )

To be truthful a draw probably wouldn't have been the best thing for us as we already have nine games in hand on the leaders and we could do with avoiding the lottery of the play offs again.

Can I just say what a great set of supporters you are typified by this forum. It's refreshing to read some of the honest comments on here when compared to some of the narrow minded knuckledraggers from some of your fellow former league teams in the conference.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

nickbrod wrote:Recent posts underline to show football is so much a matter of personal opinion. For me this was a typical cup tie of one team from a higher league playing another from a lower league. Why are we so surprised that FC United raised their game; we would have done the same had say Arsenal been the visitors.

Believe me, I took no pleasure in posting negative comments, I am not carping or unfairly criticising, I am not looking for reasons to slate anyone, I am just being honest and describing it as I saw it. Believe me I would love to come on here and report how brilliant we played, how good the players performances are and what a fantastic job the management and coaching staff are doing, but that is not the truth. Trust me, I never used to have a bad word said about the team no matter what, but enough is enough, this has gone too far. I agree that FCUM are likely to have raised their game but that doesnt take away from us being so poor and with Wembley in sight our players should be able to get up for it, they are supposed to be "professional" after all.

I feel from some comments on here at times there are many who will defend the team or Hargreaves etc no matter what, even though it is obvious we have many, many problems. I want them so badly to do well, I really do, but, from performances I have seen, especially today, I fear we are just going to get worse rather than better. Maybe the problem with some TUFC suporters is that we have been so poor now for so long and have had such little positivity and things to cheer and the standard has been so rubbish that the slightest bit of good from the team is lauded, over-praised, over-hyped and clung onto in hope of what might be. Many seem to confuse poor with average and average as good Im afraid.

I am so happy we won today, I would like to give much credit to the team and management but lets face it we were bloody lucky, FCUM deserved something from the game and it was hard to tell the difference in the leagues status between the two teams.

I will say well done to the management and team, but there needs to be a hell of an improvement and a lot of luck if we are to do anything in the league or to proceed further in the trophy.

:scarf:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Hey congrats on the win today. Much needed boost however the result came about. Good to see Luke Young and co showed their 'gulf in class' today. :na: Less chat Luke and more professionalism yes? :rules:

Anyway, it does look as though i shall be making a return to Plainmoor sooner than i ever anticipated. York lose AGAIN at home to Jamie the Daggerman from Dagenham, Ashley Hemmings plays but no show for Brian Saah as an unused sub. It's all good fun anyway and maybe i could enjoy a bevvy in Boots once more? I think Greavsie is spot on, it is indeed a funny old game. :nod:

Well done for today anyway and to the club for reducing the prices.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.