FA Trophy Quarter-Final vs. FC United of Manchester

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Hey congrats on the win today. Much needed boost however the result came about. Good to see Luke Young and co showed their 'gulf in class' today. :na: Less chat Luke and more professionalism yes? :rules:

Anyway, it does look as though i shall be making a return to Plainmoor sooner than i ever anticipated. York lose AGAIN at home to Jamie the Daggerman from Dagenham, Ashley Hemmings plays but no show for Brian Saah as an unused sub. It's all good fun anyway and maybe i could enjoy a bevvy in Boots once more? I think Greavsie is spot on, it is indeed a funny old game. :nod:

Well done for today anyway and to the club for reducing the prices.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I enjoyed today. Not so much the match but the occasion.

Starting from early on in the Union, which was jammed with happy, enthusiastic, friendly fans of FCUM and throughout the day, they were incredible. FCUM are a bit of a ragbag outfit, park team, but they are relatively newly formed, so no doubt, they will pass us in the pyramid, the way reformed Wimbledon and Newport have done and they will be a credit to any league if they conduct themselves as they did today. A bit of a park team they might be but an incredible football club, they are - a phenomenon really - and once they have their own ground, I'm sure they will rise through the leagues. Any team that brings that sort of support could sustain a club at League 1 or higher. I'm just disappointed that I never got to ask any the question that has always puzzled me, in that who would they choose to win if FCUM played Manchester United?

I thought Torquay were average at best today but they did enough.

After the game, back to the Union, and once again, packed with happy, friendly fans of FCUM. A real credit to the game and a fantastic concept. Happily welcome them back, anytime.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Quarter Final Results

Dover Athletic 3 - 3 Bath City
Torquay United 1 - 0 FC United Of Manchester
North Ferriby United 1 - 0 Ebbsfleet United

3rd Round Results

Gateshead 2 - 2 Wrexham (Wrexham won 5-3 on penalties)
Halifax Town 3 - 1 Dartford

That makes the semi-final line up:

Torquay
North Ferriby
Dover or Bath
Halifax or Wrexham

Draw is on Monday. I think we have a real chance, and the semis being played over two legs may help us, especially if it is against a lower ranked side.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
SeeUtdAway
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Lee Sharpe

Post by SeeUtdAway »

Just got back to Manchester, and gotta say, what a great day out. All credit to Torquay United for the way they organised and hosted us FC United supporters. As a former Manchester United home and away follower, I never thought I would add "Torquay" in my top ten of footy aways. Best of luck in the Trophy, and I hope you go and win it. Anyway, courtesy of our volunteer run FCUM TV, here is video of your goal: http://vimeo.com/groups/148883/videos/119002323

You'll be able to watch full match highlights once the TV crew get around to editing it. Many thanks for a great day.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Neal and Ollie, clearly the only two supporters on here who have actually seen football before.

Of course we looked hopeless today, we were always going to. This is FCUM's cup final, the second biggest game in their history in front of 1400 away fans. Of course their players are going to run themselves into the ground, chase every ball, press every pass Torquay make. Their blokes won't be able to breathe properly today, let alone get up for work tomorrow morning.
Of course our game plan was to knock it over the top for Bowman. A) we aren't going to get any time on the ball and B) FCUM are going to play a high line, compress the pitch, deny our lads time and prevent superior technical ability from hurting them. It's all so crashingly obvious, yet here is this place, as usual, rammed to the gills with people who clearly can't see past the respective league positions of the teams involved and shall forevermore bemoan the fact that we haven't beaten a pub team 365,000,000,000-0. It doesn't work like that. It never had worked like that and it never will. Neal knows it because he's familiar with the FA Cup and similar. Ollie the same. Quite what the rest of you are yabbering on about is beyond me.

Job done today. Weathered the storm of a fiesty, if mostly talentless FCUM side and took the win with a quality piece of play which, despite what's being said here, had its roots firmly embedded in the soil of the tactics board.
Special mention for Ives, who is maturing into the player that Tom Cruise's agent always told that man he would be. Next step in his development needs to be to lose the big time case of Little Man Syndrome that he has. I know you're Irish, Levi, but there's no need to turn everything into a fight.

Can't wait until we lose the final to the only bloody goal we concede in the whole sodding tournament!

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Many thanks for that seeutdaway. I was due to come down today. but trains are screwed up and it wouldnt have got me there in time.
One day I may find myself at a loose end and if I am up in your neck of the woods I think I may well come and watch you as a neutral. Your support reminds me very much of Bristol Rovers Fans. sing whatever. loud and long.
Good luck to you for the rest of the season. I will watch your progress with interest. You have a new stadium opening shortly. good luck with that and with the extra money now in your pockets I have no doubt you will increase your attendances and your club will be in our division before long. I have only seen the video as yet but the very look at the away end told me it was a carnival atmosphere.
But one word of warning. You will really have to take a hold of the few who seem hell bent on ruining it with those flares. They will be a real problem for you as you go higher up the pyramind, Barca and Rael are not so accepted here as in Spain
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

SeeUtdAway wrote:Just got back to Manchester, and gotta say, what a great day out. All credit to Torquay United for the way they organised and hosted us FC United supporters. As a former Manchester United home and away follower, I never thought I would add "Torquay" in my top ten of footy aways. Best of luck in the Trophy, and I hope you go and win it. Anyway, courtesy of our volunteer run FCUM TV, here is video of your goal: http://vimeo.com/groups/148883/videos/119002323

You'll be able to watch full match highlights once the TV crew get around to editing it. Many thanks for a great day.
Thats the quickest Briscoe moved all game celebrating that goal
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

SeeUtdAway wrote:Just got back to Manchester, and gotta say, what a great day out. All credit to Torquay United for the way they organised and hosted us FC United supporters. As a former Manchester United home and away follower, I never thought I would add "Torquay" in my top ten of footy aways. Best of luck in the Trophy, and I hope you go and win it. Anyway, courtesy of our volunteer run FCUM TV, here is video of your goal: http://vimeo.com/groups/148883/videos/119002323

Class post

Thanks a lot !

Best of luck for the rest of your season
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Great result and a good, albeit very cold, very cold day. Some very honest and thoughtful posts, I hope CH reads em.

A cup game yes I understand the difference to a league match and we defended as such, but for me the biggest concern was the very clear difference in the training for this one. Do we really train less than a part time club? Just how much "time off" do TQY players have? I'd really like to know. FC were first to almost every second ball and quiet a few headers which is important if you want to play hoff ball.

The popside around me started singing for Chappell to come on, did CH respond to that, doesn't matter, but we then played a few wide balls an things change a little for the better.

Fear that in a two legged semi we will be sussed far to easily.
Last edited by Dave_Pougher on 08 Feb 2015, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

ferrarilover wrote:Neal and Ollie, clearly the only two supporters on here who have actually seen football before.

Of course we looked hopeless today, we were always going to. This is FCUM's cup final, the second biggest game in their history in front of 1400 away fans. Of course their players are going to run themselves into the ground, chase every ball, press every pass Torquay make. Their blokes won't be able to breathe properly today, let alone get up for work tomorrow morning.
Of course our game plan was to knock it over the top for Bowman. A) we aren't going to get any time on the ball and B) FCUM are going to play a high line, compress the pitch, deny our lads time and prevent superior technical ability from hurting them. It's all so crashingly obvious, yet here is this place, as usual, rammed to the gills with people who clearly can't see past the respective league positions of the teams involved and shall forevermore bemoan the fact that we haven't beaten a pub team 365,000,000,000-0. It doesn't work like that. It never had worked like that and it never will. Neal knows it because he's familiar with the FA Cup and similar. Ollie the same. Quite what the rest of you are yabbering on about is beyond me.

Job done today. Weathered the storm of a fiesty, if mostly talentless FCUM side and took the win with a quality piece of play which, despite what's being said here, had its roots firmly embedded in the soil of the tactics board.
Special mention for Ives, who is maturing into the player that Tom Cruise's agent always told that man he would be. Next step in his development needs to be to lose the big time case of Little Man Syndrome that he has. I know you're Irish, Levi, but there's no need to turn everything into a fight.

You didn't read my post. When Downes was on we were unthreatened. 4 good chances to maybe 2. Scrappy inbetween. Need to keep it simple. Enjoyed the occasion.

You obviously didn't read my post. FCUM didn't look like doing anything when Downes was on. We made 4 good chances, they made 1 maybe 2, there was a lot of huffing and puffing in the middle. We would have done better keeping it simple. However I really enjoyed the occasion.

Can't wait until we lose the final to the only bloody goal we concede in the whole sodding tournament!

Matt.
TUST number 080
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Matt
Waking up this morning just checking I've watched football matches in my past. Do you mean Nick and Ollie?!
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

Full time and flares
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Yesterday's game will be one to remember because the away support was truly magnificent. All the flags hanging from Bristow's bench looked great. I liked the ones that said "punk football" and "I've got enough love for both"

However, I shall also remember it because my friend who stands near me on the popside attended the game, even though they had major surgery during the week and still had a drain attached to them hidden under a baggy top. That is how loyal our supporters are and we should acknowledge this more. I know supporters who work night shifts and get to games after very little sleep and supporters who drive hundreds of miles to get to home games.

We dream of vocal support like the away support yesterday. but we do have a very loyal 2000 home supporters and this should be celebrated sometimes. Of course we want more and a trip to Wembley would no doubt see us create our own version of yesterdays away support with beach inflatables' but minus the flares...

Anyway, well done to Ryan for holding his nerve and scoring the winning goal.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

A frustrating game yesterday, won by one magnificent pass, run and finish. FCUM frustrated us and forged more than a few chances of their own, and my heart sank when they hit the bar - but I thought that move, with Richards (who had a good game) and Bowman (who did not, but showed he only needs one chance even on an off day) was the highlight of the afternoon. Lovely to watch.

Chappell should have been on much earlier, we looked better when we went 4-4-2 and brought him on shortly afterwards. Harsh that McQuilkin was the man to go though because he worked hard and quietly had a decent game. But there you go. CH will say it worked, although I am amazed that Briscoe lasted 90 minutes. The man looks in worse shape than when he signed!

Atmosphere in Boots before kick off was great. I did feel a little bit like an away fan though. A strange feeling. The FCUM fans were excellent throughout, and to add to that I thought the FCUM players applauding the home fans at the end was a classy touch.

I'm just pleased we stuck our noses in front and held on through a frustrating and ugly game. A good effort from several of our players (although for the remaining few, it has to be said that effort was sorely lacking). In particular I thought MacDonald, Ives, McQuilkin, Richards, Pearce had good games and Rice was as commanding as I have seen him in the box. Kicking was poor though. Chappell and Downes also were good while they were on the pitch. Luke Young had a quiet game by his standards but did his best. One or two others I was not so sure about (ducking out of headers, lots of whinging etc).
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

FL - you are talking nonsense. Despite being a really poor side FC were unlucky not to get a replay only being denied by the woodwork as our team almost managed (again) to toss a game which was won.
Yes they were backed by terrific support but it isn't blow football - their team really were a park side.
Quite simply it was Hargreaves fault that we only scraped home. Changing his normal 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 and expecting Briscoe to cover the flank and to get up front and support Bowman was lunacy.
In fact Bowman and Briscoe were bloody awful - I seriously thought Bowman would miss the chance but fair play to him took the goal well.
If ever a game was crying out for Chappell and Ajala to play out wide with two strikers up the middle then this was it. If we had played 4-4-2 we would have won that 4-0.