FA Trophy Quarter-Final vs. FC United of Manchester

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Heisenberg
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Tom Greaves

Post by Heisenberg »

All the best for the semi finals
yeovilgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by yeovilgull »

Crowd 3805 great turnout. 1300 from FCU.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Think I'm correct in thinking we still haven't conceeded in this cup!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

we haven't conceded. Yet! don't count your chickens.
One question I would ask though. Why are we favourites for this competition? Gateshead is above us having played 3 games less than us and 4 points ahead. Granted Wrexham may be below us but would they be above us or level if they had played all their league games. But you can't get away from the fact that Gateshead are well above us and doing pretty well right now unbeaten in 5 games. while we are not doing that well. Note also the scores in the games played so far. yes we have not conceded one goal yet. But scores have gotten harder to gain. we won the first round 5-0. the second round 4-0. the third round 2-0 now the quarter final 1-0 and by all accounts we could have let one or even two in. so what of the semi. will it be 0-0. and we win on penalties. I dont even want to guess what could happen if we got to the final.
When is the draw for the semi finals?
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

just done a check on the attendances. and this was our biggest attendance of the season. by a margin of 50. and that is with the Rovers game being on a bank holiday. so well done all and well done all the FC Manchester fans who many no doubt have enjoyed a nice weekend away. good luck to them for the next few weeks as they move into their new stadium which we would no doubt have been one of the first games had they equalised or we not scored.
also of note. prize money won so far is £ 26,000. £16,000 up for grabs in semi finals plus enhanced attendance reciepts
Last edited by Glostergull on 07 Feb 2015, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.

Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Glostergull wrote:we haven't conceded. Yet! don't count your chickens.
One question I would ask though. Why are we favourites for this competition? Gateshead is above us having played 3 games less than us and 4 points ahead. Granted Wrexham may be below us but would they be above us or level if they had played all their league games. But you can't get away from the fact that Gateshead are well above us and doing pretty well right now unbeaten in 5 games. while we are not doing that well. Note also the scores in the games played so far. yes we have not conceded one goal yet. But scores have gotten harder to gain. we won the first round 5-0. the second round 4-0. the third round 2-0 now the quarter final 1-0 and by all accounts we could have let one or even two in. so what of the semi. will it be 0-0. and we win on penalties. I dont even want to guess what could happen if we got to the final.
When is the draw for the semi finals?
One very obvious reason why we are favourites ahead of Gateshead, Wrexham and Halifax. We are in the semi finals, none of them are, and only one of them can be.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Firstly may I offer congratulations to FCUM, your supporters quality, real football fans, also to your team, who certainly deserved something from this game, at the very least a replay. We've won this game ugly, and had a stroke of luck with the winner, I was dead straight in line, and Bowman for all the world looked offside, we complain about decisions not going our way, there's one that appeared to, with the linesman who was not up with play at the time, but hey we'll take it.

The winning goal certainly has changed the nature of this post. Not just the money element, I not entirely sure that goes through a players mind, this competition carries the prize of a Wembley appearance for the final, we had far, far to many players out there today who looked off the pace and not that bothered, which was disappointing, as a team they didn't do enough up front, didn't carry enough consistent threat, and we've spent far to much of this game defending our own box, performance level not good enough to be honest, today.

Personally didn't like the shape, far to many long balls, total nonsense to suggest we can't play football on that pitch, Bowman has his critics, give the lad the right service and he'll score you goals, today up until the last 10 minutes hoof after hoof chucked up to Bowman, give the lad a chance.

Can't understand for the life of me why Pearce is at right back, come on Chris have you got that from the Buckle school of management, you have MacDonald who played how many games at Right back for Salisbury, put Pearce in the centre, the right back position looks completely alien to Pearce, and please try Briscoe in the so called 'no 10' position, he just isn't mobile enough. All that said, don't want to put to much of a dampener on it, we're through, that's all that counts, lets hope for North Ferriby now.
Last edited by Dave on 07 Feb 2015, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Gullscorer wrote:Four clubs must be in the semi-finals. We're one of them.. :)
Well so far its only 2!
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

I have thought of going to Twerton on Tuesday night to have a gander. can give a report if they draw us in the cup. They are a well organised team and are doing reasonably well. they sit in 12th place with between 2 and 4 games in hand over the top teams. how Whitehawk are up in 3rd with 49 points having played 4 games more I cannot imagine. thats an awful lot of games extra to those around them.
Anyway it will be a great chance to visit that wonderful bakery near the ground. ooh I can taste them ham rolls now.

Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Gateshead out, lost 5-3 to Wrexham on penalties! :clap:
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

A good win but what a poor game I thought our team selection was poor and it was lucky we were playing a team that was inferior to us.
Was it a good substitution, that changed the game. Chappel was like a breath of fresh air to the game. Hargreaves should look back at his selection as Briscoe is not effective playing in a wide position and not until the second half changes were made did we look like scoring. McDonald deserves praise for his part in the victory as well for staying on the pitch carrying an injury. A good victory but we need to improve as they were a poor side. :keepie: