Torquay.v.Bromley FA Trophy

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

arcadia wrote:It was nice to score a few goals but Chris has got to address this passing in our own half we were pressed second half again and Bromley took charge for a good 15 minutes, when they should have been dead and buried. Seabright stopped them getting back into the game. Berry did well again but this was against a part-time team from a lower league don't get carried away. :keepie:
This must have been a tactic to encourage the opposing team to come forward and thereby expose weaknesses in their behinds.. With some teams this tactic is so effective they end up shitting themselves.. :)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Funny how arguments and comments change. Before the game some people were saying expect a tough close match because Bromley are a good side chasing promotion. Now, after a convincing win and a much better performance from the Gulls, we hear Bromley are a part-time team from a lower league so don't get carried away.

Don't forget to blame the ref, a heavy pitch, and the players being too tired after the holiday period.. :~D
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Part time team, league below bla bla bla.

May be true, but they're a decent part time team, 2nd in the Conference South and with 4 games in hand over the leaders.

Well done to Chris and the boys.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Gullscorer wrote:Funny how arguments and comments change. Before the game some people were saying expect a tough close match because Bromley are a good side chasing promotion. Now, after a convincing win and a much better performance from the Gulls, we hear Bromley are a part-time team from a lower league so don't get carried away.

Don't forget to blame the ref, a heavy pitch, and the players being too tired after the holiday period.. :~D
That is true, But you have to be careful, because I was one of those predicting a tough game and I HAVE MADE NO SUCH COMMENTS AFTER THE GAME!! Its not the same people.

I was wrong, and the ones predicting an easy win were right, WELL DONE!!!
TUST MEMBER
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed, any team near the top of the Conference South can't be taken lightly, we could have them in the league next term, so this was a cracking result, well done all at TUFC, but's it back to the bread and butter of the league next week, after our 5.0 win v Bishops Stortford our team flattered to deceive, got to follow this up with a result v Altrincham otherwise yesterday becomes meaningless.
Formerly known as forevertufc
yeovilgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by yeovilgull »

Given how well Bromley have been doing and being unbeaten away before yesterday, they must be at least on a par with the likes of Alfreton, Telford and Dover, all teams we have struggled against. So well done to CH and the boys for a professional performance and seeing off what was put before them.

As others have said though we need to follow this up with some decent league form especially as the gap between us and the play offs is widening.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Well done Torquay,I thought that yesterdays game would have been a lot tougher than what it turned out to be.For a team that had gone unbeaten away all season and sit second of third in the league below u, Bromley would have given us more of a game so I can only assume that the conference south is nowhere near the quality of the conference.I did read on the Bromley site that they had to put out a weakened side due to injuries but fair play to Torquay you can only play whats infront of you.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Great win for you whatever the standard of opposition and your advantage is that I believe I am right in saying that you have reached the final before so know what effect it can have on your league form and whether it is a positive or negative one. I am not sure if it was an advantage going out to Bath or not because it has meant that there was no footy for us yesterday and now no home game against Braintree Saturday week. IMO it is a time where when you are on good form you want to be playing every week. Personally i feel that you will reach the final but i think it may mean you miss out on the Playoffs as at the moment there are quite a few teams already with games in hand and it is very difficult to catch up if you are in fact getting further behind. This I really fear will make it really tough to catch Barnet but could also give other teams games to catch up with us and put the pressure on.
Which would you prefer out of the Cup or Play Offs ? Do you feel it is an advantage or disadvantage to still be in the cup?
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Gullscorer wrote: This must have been a tactic to encourage the opposing team to come forward and thereby expose weaknesses in their behinds.. With some teams this tactic is so effective they end up shitting themselves.. :)
You are right but when you play better opposition it shows up our weaknesses! :keepie:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Any highlights from this game
Lucy
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

arcadia wrote: You are right but when you play better opposition it shows up our weaknesses! :keepie:
Presumably when opposition players start passing the ball around in their own half.. If both teams did that, imagine all 22 players on the pitch shitting themselves.. :~D
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

friendlygas wrote:Great win for you whatever the standard of opposition and your advantage is that I believe I am right in saying that you have reached the final before so know what effect it can have on your league form and whether it is a positive or negative one. I am not sure if it was an advantage going out to Bath or not because it has meant that there was no footy for us yesterday and now no home game against Braintree Saturday week. IMO it is a time where when you are on good form you want to be playing every week. Personally i feel that you will reach the final but i think it may mean you miss out on the Playoffs as at the moment there are quite a few teams already with games in hand and it is very difficult to catch up if you are in fact getting further behind. This I really fear will make it really tough to catch Barnet but could also give other teams games to catch up with us and put the pressure on.
Which would you prefer out of the Cup or Play Offs ? Do you feel it is an advantage or disadvantage to still be in the cup?
Bit of a "Catch-22" FG-if we progress in the FA Trophy we have to re-arrange games and will end up playing 2 a week.
Also lose valuable revenue as mid-week games at home are always going to get less attending than on a Saturday.
On the other hand a play-off place this season may be beyond us,so the FA Trophy would be some consolation-money earned from it would also be very useful. Bit of a gap opening between us and the play-off places so need a winning run to get us back up there.Some signs that we are addressing our weaknesses-Seabright doing okay in goal,Harding starting to show some form in mid-field and defence tightening up.
Squad has been reduced in recent weeks though and no indication that we will be bringing anyone in in the transfer window-unlike yourselves where the Board will be thinking a bit of investment on the playing side now could be the difference between catching Barnet and going straight back up,or not.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

I can see the point you are making regarding the lost revenue and i don't know what your revenue figures would be but I wonder if the amount you receive for getting a further round on would outway the lost as I understand it goes up each round. As regards playing 2 games a week I think we may find ourselves (due to being knocked out in round 1) without a game on a few more saturdays AND playing 2 games a week further down the line. I agree we are in a different position to you in that often our midweek games have a chance of attracting MORE support as we then have quite a high number of supporters who play local football and can only attend evening games. On the other hand any away games rearranged to an evening will result in probably a loss of one third to a half of travelling supporters.

"On the other hand a play-off place this season may be beyond us,so the FA Trophy would be some consolation-money earned from it would also be very useful" Yes and i think the draw today gives you a great chance not only to make it through but also some more of the Conference teams being knocked out and a wembley day out would be a great consolation prize!!

"Bit of a gap opening between us and the play-off places so need a winning run to get us back up there" Yes I would see the cup run making if far more difficult to get back into it as points in the bag are always better than games in hand . It may prove a step too far unless the "feel good" factor of the cup brings about a vast improvement in your League form.

"Some signs that we are addressing our weaknesses-Seabright doing okay in goal,Harding starting to show some form in mid-field and defence tightening up." - Again this can be looked upon as an advantage to playing twice a week if you are playing well.

"Squad has been reduced in recent weeks though and no indication that we will be bringing anyone in in the transfer window-unlike yourselves where the Board will be thinking a bit of investment on the playing side now could be the difference between catching Barnet and going straight back up,or not." - I have just seen that we have signed Jermaine Easter which looks (on paper) a fantastic signing at this level but only time will tell.- I didn't see that signing coming as I thought it would be a case of Deja vu ala Matt Tubbs and earlier reports of him coming.

Whatever occurs it looks like being an interesting final period of the season for both of us and I shall watch both with interest. Good luck.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

lucy6lucy wrote:Any highlights from this game
Highlights are on Youtube now!! Ajala's goal was a bit jammy but a great bit footwork from Youngy in the lead up to it!!

Ash took his goal well too, lovely little left footy finish!!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:Or to put it another way - Bromley were home to Bishops Stortford in December 2014. We hammered the away side in the last round 5-0. Bromley won the game 3-2 with a winning goal in the injury time (yet trailed 0-2 at half time)
The game was played in front of the magnificent attendance of 292.
We might not be any great shakes but lets get a sense of reality. If we cannot win this game then lets give up!
Oh we of little faith. we should never have doubted you, Brucie ! It was a good win - no doubt about it. It was a reasonable match which at times resembled a pre-season friendly. The match was helped because it was very well refereed and because Bromley tried to play football throughout. They reminded me of Welling earlier in the season. We seem to struggle against the more physical sides although I wouldn't have described Alfreton as particularly physical last week.