Torquay.v.Bromley FA Trophy

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Torquay.v.Bromley FA Trophy

Post by Dave »

Saturday see's us return to F.A Trophy action, Conference South side Bromley FC will be the visitors to Plainmoor. Bromley were formed in 1892 and play at the Fortress stadium, Hayes road, Bromley 6,000 capacity (3,000 seated) like so many teams around the 5th and 6th tiers of English football switched around a number of regional leagues around the world wars, such as; London League, Spartan League and the Athenian League.

Bromley however have been established in the Conference South for the last 6 seasons, last season saw them push Eastleigh all the way for the title, eventually finishing 3rd in the league, Bromley would miss out on promotion after losing to Ebbsfleet in the play-off semi-final.

The forerunner to the F.A Trophy was known as the F.A Amateur cup, Bromley had some success in this competition winners; 1910-11,1937-38 and in 1948-49 in what I believe was the first time the final of this cup was held at Wembley Bromley beat Romford in front of a 96,000 crowd. Torquay United have had one previous meeting with Bromley on 24.11.1951 Torquay winning 3.2 in the F.A Cup first round.

Bromley are currently sat 2nd in the Conference South, their current form reads; W-W-W-W-D-L.

Last time out Bromley were beaten 1.2 at home by Concord Rangers, I have not able to find their team line up for that game, so here's link to their player profiles; http://bromleyfc.tv/new/index.php/club/ ... r-profiles.

From a Torquay point of view, Tonge is a long term injury and to the delight of many probably has played his last game for the club anyway, McQuilken as a non-contract player I'm not sure he is still at the club after his injury, as for suspensions, never saw any confirmation as to whether MacDonald's suspension was for one or two games, so he could be available or selection Saturday.

Results wise Christmas was about as poor as it gets, although unfortunately despite an excellent performance away to Rovers our team was denied a well deserved win by the linesman that saw a penalty that 8,000 other people including the referee didn't, but the thing that is most alarming is the inconsistent individual performances of some of our players, who just don't seem capable of stringing two good performances together.

Torquay United's current form reads; W-L-L-D-D-D, our team are currently sat 10th I the Conference Premier.

Last time our team lined up for the 1.1 home draw v Alfreton as follows;

23 Seabright
29 Berry
04 Downes
05 Pearce
03 Cruise
12 Chapell (Yeoman - 86' )
06 Harding (Richards - 70' )
08 Young Booked
10 Ajala
09 Bowman
24 Ofori-Acheampong (Briscoe - 57' )

Bromley clearly are no mugs, so I think Chris Hargreaves will have no other choice but to go with his strongest 11, points wise we're still in the play-off although all our rivals have a number of games in hand on us, so the F.A Trophy could be the chance to rescue something from this season, so would like to see us have real go in this competition now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Agreed. While I still think a tilt at the playoffs is possible, it is getting more unlikely as the weeks roll on. Therefore a good run in this competition would be great, both for some actual enjoyment, but also as the prize money racks up it makes the loss of some of our parachute payment easier to bear.

Bromley is going to be tough, though, got some decent players including Jordan Roberton up front.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

They're unbeaten away this season!
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

I'll be there, should be a good game, hopeully with no league pressure we can play a bit and im sure Bromley( who will benefit from their free hotel ) will be up for it!

seeing as the club aren't pushing the discount that much i'll do it!

Bristow’s Bench
Adults-£12
Concessions-£6
Children-£1

Family Stand
Adults-£11
Concessions-£5
Children-£1

Popside
Adults-£10
Concessions-£5
Children-£1
http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 77418.aspx

OR

two-course meal and match ticket for the total price of just £20
http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 85416.aspx
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:I'll be there, should be a good game, hopeully with no league pressure we can play a bit and im sure Bromley( who will benefit from their free hotel ) will be up for it!

seeing as the club aren't pushing the discount that much i'll do it!

Bristow’s Bench
Adults-£12
Concessions-£6
Children-£1

Family Stand
Adults-£11
Concessions-£5
Children-£1

Popside
Adults-£10
Concessions-£5
Children-£1
http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 77418.aspx

OR

two-course meal and match ticket for the total price of just £20
http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 85416.aspx
It amazes me that away clubs get free hotel accommodation in this cup, yet in the FA cup it doesn't happen. I know we as a club took advantage against bishop stortford, is there a cap as to where you can stay, ie are they allowed for instance in the grand or travel lodge?
Lucy
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

I understand Bromley contacted us to find out the details of a comfortable,high quality hotel-the club advised them to stay at The Cavendish :devil:
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

A good run in this competition could be the confidence boost our club desperately needs at the moment. 2-0 Torquay. COYY
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

RussianGull wrote:A good run in this competition could be the confidence boost our club desperately needs at the moment. 2-0 Torquay. COYY
Are we saying that beating Bromley at home is now classed as a significant moment in the history of Torquay United. :(
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

Absolute banana skin, and we have to play our best 11. But no disrespect to Bromley if we can't beat them at home we deserve to go out and face our season ending pretty much by the 10th January
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by lucy6lucy »

Absolute banana skin, and we have to play our best 11. But no disrespect to Bromley if we can't beat them at home we deserve to go out and face our season ending pretty much by the 10th January
Lucy
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Torquay United vs Bromley,no contest surely,we are Torquay,a team with history and long years of league experience, a big club in a small pond , just put our name in the hat for the next round,but waite,am I being dissolutional,you bet.Bromley are just one league below Torquay and sit in third position so just a few places below us and with a great away record plus, to play at what they would consider "a big club" (,we know better) , will give them an even greater will to win so I fear for our team and hope I am wrong but the odds must be with Bromley
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Dont talk nonsense - odds Torquay win 1.57 Bromley win 5.75. The odds are not with Bromley at all,
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Or to put it another way - Bromley were home to Bishops Stortford in December 2014. We hammered the away side in the last round 5-0. Bromley won the game 3-2 with a winning goal in the injury time (yet trailed 0-2 at half time)
The game was played in front of the magnificent attendance of 292.
We might not be any great shakes but lets get a sense of reality. If we cannot win this game then lets give up!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:Or to put it another way - Bromley were home to Bishops Stortford in December 2014. We hammered the away side in the last round 5-0. Bromley won the game 3-2 with a winning goal in the injury time (yet trailed 0-2 at half time)
The game was played in front of the magnificent attendance of 292.
We might not be any great shakes but lets get a sense of reality. If we cannot win this game then lets give up!
I wish I could share your confidence, Brucie. Yes, we should win but Bromley are not second in the league below us for no reason. Remember Harrogate ? I wish I could forget. We should have beaten them as well. Another factor tomorrow is the weather. The pitch will be heavy and the forecast is for high winds. Conditions which are a leveller in themselves. I think we will win ... but wouldn't dare put any money on it !

We need the win - (a) because of much needed extra revenue and (b) as Forever pointed out on another thread, if we win, we will play in the next round in two weeks time, thus avoiding Lincoln in the league. This would be good as apparently Lincoln are the form team in the Conference at present so we don't want to meet them when they're on fire. Make 'em come all the way down to Plainmoor on a Tuesday night for a re-arranged game ! That'll cool 'em down a bit. :}
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

1560 including 80 away fans
Probable draw 1-1
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: