Welling.v.Torquay Sun 28th 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

brucie wrote:Blaming Benyon for being offside is ridiculous - it seems that the disallowed goal against Br was actually given for handball. That is just a criminal decision. So the ref who was stood in the middle of the goal and saw nothing wrong with it is overuled by a pillock who is stood forty yards away - I don't think he even consulted with the linesman. It was either offside or a goal - no way was it handball.
Another disallowed goal today, an injury to Young - its not going for us at the moment.

It wasn't aimed at the last game........more at his natural ability to fall over and drift offside ...........on a regular basis.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Well that was pretty uninspiring. Not a terrible point given Wellings strong form at home, but you definitely get the impression that If we really were top 5 contenders we'd have ground out a 1-0 win.

First half was really poor. We started OK and created a couple of half chances ourselves, hitting the side netting and forcing a parry from their keeper with angled shots from Bowman. But from about 10mins in our passing went to pieces - we resorted to aimless long ball, whilst Welling passed it around neatly without ever looking like carving us open. Most of the play was at the opposite end, but despite a shot across the face of goal and a header right at Seabright, none of the chanes were any major threat.

Second half we came out a very different side, and first 15mins or so we were well on top. Twice Bowman pulled the ball back across goal, but nobody was able to make any telling contact. Chappell had a shot cleared off the line, as was a Downes header from a corner. But just as we really seemed to be building up a head of steam, Youngy went down injured and the minute or two we played with 10 men allowed Welling to regain composure and create chances of their own. From that point on, we never looked the same again and despite some Welling pressure the game petered out into a scoreless draw.

There was, however, the one moment of controversy after Young went off with the disallowed goal. Briscoe broke down the left, and "squared" the ball to Bowman. Bowman neatly turned his man and rolled the ball into the corner via a slight deflection. By this time though, the flag had already gone up and the whistle blown. It must have been a tight call, and if it was correct Bowman really had no excuse not to hold his run.

Much improved second half showing, but still some way short of where we need to be for a playoff challenge. Chappell was probably our strongest threat, and the oft-maligned Cruise, Harding and Seabright all had decent games. Young's injury is obviously a concern, as is the fact our passing game had gone awry anyway (even with Young on the pitch) and a massive lack of cutting edge up front. As I said, a playoff challenging side would have made today a 1-0 win. We are still short of that, and I fear the business end of the season will see us slip to a 10th-12th place finish.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

A clean sheet is always welcome though rarely received and so for that we should be pleased. Yet again the lack of goals is a major concern and, along with our disciplinary record, will define our season.

Rovers hit four past Macclesfield and Eastleigh knocked five past Braintree so it just shows how much we need some firepower.

I'm never worried about Argyle and City unless we're playing them.

I remember when playing Rochdale was a mundane event...............how much would I love to be playing them every season again?
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Gloomy Gull wrote:
It wasn't aimed at the last game........more at his natural ability to fall over and drift offside ...........on a regular basis.
:goodpost:

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

One of the most boring matches in history. Torquay reserves disinterested; Welling incapable. There were 10 minutes of anything even in the same universe as professional standard football and it came from us. How we didn't score in that period, I'll never know. Went round them at will and exposed their goal time and again, yet we couldn't snatch the goal which would have won it for us. This wasn't even the same as Rovers on Boxing Day. That, at least, was their fault for being shit. This was a divot or a shoelace or something, every single bloody time.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

It is the paradox of supporting Torquay in this nightmare of a non-league shithole, that before the game, I would probably have taken a 0-0 away to a non-league, part-time club like Welling. How horrendously far we have fallen and the sort of acceptance, from some, that this is ok and reasonable.

Defeats to the likes of Braintree, Alfreton and Telford really are the lowest ebb this club has been at for nearly 90 years - it really is abysmal and draws to teams like Welling - without wishing to be disrespectful to them - are really not good enough. I don't blame Hargreaves like so many others would, I'm not sure it really is anyone's fault, other than whoever made the decision to appoint Alan Knill, but it does feel like the stuffing has been knocked out of the club and the collective will just isn't there.

Having spent Christmas with my family, and chatting to my dad, who has supported and attended Plainmoor for almost 60 years, we both agreed that we utterly understand those who stop going. If you no longer go, you no longer have to face the disappointment and sadness following Torquay, in current times, brings.

It's different to other years when we have been poor. We have never been so poor at such a low level, in anyone's living memory before - the text I received from a mate - an ex-season ticket holder - who said he wasn't going on Boxing Day contained the line 'I've fallen out of love with TUFC,' and I completely understand that.

The talk of promotion was empty - Hargreaves rationale of 'keep them up, or get them back up,' is looking a little daft now and I just do not know where we go, other than becoming a Lincoln, then worse.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

hector wrote:It is the paradox of supporting Torquay in this nightmare of a non-league shithole, that before the game, I would probably have taken a 0-0 away to a non-league, part-time club like Welling. How horrendously far we have fallen and the sort of acceptance, from some, that this is ok and reasonable.

Defeats to the likes of Braintree, Alfreton and Telford really are the lowest ebb this club has been at for nearly 90 years - it really is abysmal and draws to teams like Welling - without wishing to be disrespectful to them - are really not good enough. I don't blame Hargreaves like so many others would, I'm not sure it really is anyone's fault, other than whoever made the decision to appoint Alan Knill, but it does feel like the stuffing has been knocked out of the club and the collective will just isn't there.

Having spent Christmas with my family, and chatting to my dad, who has supported and attended Plainmoor for almost 60 years, we both agreed that we utterly understand those who stop going. If you no longer go, you no longer have to face the disappointment and sadness following Torquay, in current times, brings.

It's different to other years when we have been poor. We have never been so poor at such a low level, in anyone's living memory before - the text I received from a mate - an ex-season ticket holder - who said he wasn't going on Boxing Day contained the line 'I've fallen out of love with TUFC,' and I completely understand that.

The talk of promotion was empty - Hargreaves rationale of 'keep them up, or get them back up,' is looking a little daft now and I just do not know where we go, other than becoming a Lincoln, then worse.
We've often disagreed out on the forum. This time, I have to say there's very little in your above post I can disagree with, a lot of what you say above is spot on.

I will always support TUFC, and will now after 8 seasons, as a season ticket holder pick and choose the games I go to, but I have not and will accept our club being a non-league also ran. I did all my shouting and screaming last year, no fight left in me, done the through thick thin like most on here for as long as I can remember, forkin tired of it.

I'm very much in the 'fallen out of love with TUFC' camp, trouble is, unless we see an upturn in form, Lincoln, Dover and a few others will be sailing above us in league before we know it, and that just makes me want to puke.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

And you pair, and the likes, are exactly the problem.
Where's your Blitz Spirit? Where's the steel, the bottle, the guts that won us two world wars against massive odds?
Yes, it's massively melodramatic, but just tossing in the towel on the basis that things are tougher than they've ever been just isn't how it should be. It is now that we really need people rallying round and doing as best as they can for the club.
Make it personal: when things are great, you've got a good job, loadsa money, a sexy girlfriend and a kid on the way, a fast car on the driveway of your half-a-million city pad and Wednesday afternoons free to play golf, you don't really need mates. Once you've been made redundant, had all your shit repossessed, been blackballed from golf and the fitty has taken the Jr and shacked up with her Yoga instructor, that is when you actually need the help and support of your pals.
Guess where the club is right now...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

ferrarilover wrote:And you pair, and the likes, are exactly the problem.
Where's your Blitz Spirit?
Matt my friend, I saw my very first Torquay game in 1980, I think, I'm roughly the same age as Hector, maybe that explains it, others have been going 50 years and still doing the through thick and thin, I take my hat off to them. Right now I can't stand what's happening to the club, I do not have the money to anything about it either, I haven't stopped going and I won't, just not going as much. I'm a very positive person, so I do not intend spending much more of my own money, on attending some thing that is beginning to make feel sick.
Last edited by Dave on 28 Dec 2014, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

I can assure you Matt after watching for forty years it does wear you down. You can only have so much optimism and hope and when that goes its bloody hard to keep supporting this club.

Why didn't I choose Manure or Chelsea life would be so much easier............................ :'( :'( :'(
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Dutchgull wrote:I can assure you after watching for forty years it does wear you down. You can only have so much optimism and hope and when that goes its bloody hard to keep supporting this club
Dutchy got it spot on. Man and boy I've had 50 years of it with plenty of lengthy breaks away from Plainmoor. It caught up with me (again) last season after the Chesterfield home game. How long the break from Plainmoor will be this time I don't know.

:-/
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

hector wrote:It is the paradox of supporting Torquay in this nightmare of a non-league shithole, that before the game, I would probably have taken a 0-0 away to a non-league, part-time club like Welling. How horrendously far we have fallen and the sort of acceptance, from some, that this is ok and reasonable.

:goodpost:

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Unfortunately Hectors post is spot on. We have been rubbish for much of the 52 years I have been watching but the problem is that we have never been rubbish at such a low level and that is the worst thing about it.
Losing to Telford was obviously a fluke as Rice let three in but failing to beat a whole raft of part timers away from home just isn't good enough.
Hargreaves bemoaning the budget in his after match interview when we are playing a bunch of part timers is just plainly ridiculous.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Not that I expect a medal more likely a Doctors certificate but I have missed less than a dozen games since the 74-75 season. So like others have said you don't support Torquay United for the success but being beat by Telford et all does test your resolve somewhat !!

Unfortunatly I cant see any knight in shining armour riding in to help get us out of this shite !

If only I could win the Euro Millions.....
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

ferrarilover wrote:And you pair, and the likes, are exactly the problem.
Where's your Blitz Spirit? Where's the steel, the bottle, the guts that won us two world wars against massive odds?
Yes, it's massively melodramatic, but just tossing in the towel on the basis that things are tougher than they've ever been just isn't how it should be. It is now that we really need people rallying round and doing as best as they can for the club.
Make it personal: when things are great, you've got a good job, loadsa money, a sexy girlfriend and a kid on the way, a fast car on the driveway of your half-a-million city pad and Wednesday afternoons free to play golf, you don't really need mates. Once you've been made redundant, had all your sh*t repossessed, been blackballed from golf and the fitty has taken the Jr and shacked up with her Yoga instructor, that is when you actually need the help and support of your pals.
Guess where the club is right now...

Matt.
So the bloke with the lavish lifestyle bins off his mates with no thought or consideration whatsoever to live the high life and then when it goes tits up he begs for forgiveness on one knee, proclaims how stupid he has been and how arrogant and pleads with his pals to help him and bail him out of the brown stuff and get things back on track?

If this is the scenario you paint Matt then i completely agree with what you have said.

The problem is if Torquay United is the bloke in question then when and where did the latter parts of the analogy occur because i didn't see or hear them?

Where were the genuine apologies, the heartfelt pleas for the support of the fans in a desperate time of need and where was the desire to put things right at all costs?

I'm a little weirder than most because i can take shite football for years on end even against pub sides in ramshackle grounds and still go and pay my money and sing my balls off. The very things that most TUFC fans have now had enough of. What i can't take is a total lack of ignorance and disrespect towards me personally as a fan from the board which is what i felt i received during the summer.

Tamargull made a telling contribution recently about why he won't go anymore which i think has been deleted - i can't find it anyway but he also made another post on the attendances thread where he commented on the club's inability to market itself effectively. Again, another accurate post IMO. Some will tell you that Torquay is basically run by one man and a dog and if this is the case then non league is the right place. If not then Tamargull is spot on and the club has lost just as many fans because of this than have stopped going because of relegation.

Obviously most of you know that i used to play for and go and watch York before i became a Gull so during the summer when my anger and bitterness towards TUFC was at it's peak i enjoyed the World Cup and tried to forget about football. Then the fixtures came out and august approached and i had that yearning to go and be part of something once more. As many of you know, i live for matchdays. I live for raw football and to feel a valued part of a team.

I had wander round Bootham Crescent one day having dropped my mum off nearby as her hairdresser lives there and i chatted to a few people at the club and i was well received and folk had time for me. They had time to talk to me about their offers for the new season and the things for families etc. I felt the familiarity of the old place returning.

Anyway, back to the point about 'profile' and presence' or lack of.

I went to the summer fair at Bootham Crescent which was well advertised, well attended and real fun and i took my little one around the place inside and out.

There i joined the York City Supporters Trust who i regularly get emails and information from unlike at Torquay where you pay your cash for membership and don't hear anything for the next 30 years. They thank you for your support and keep you in the loop.

In 4 and half months of going to watch York (the only home game i've missed was the 2-2 draw with Cambridge as i was in Cornwall) i am constantly updated with club offers and offers and promotions from club partners, have enrolled my young 'un into junior reds which knock out allsorts for kids to get involved in, she has met Yorkie the lion (who to my knowledge hasn't been involved in tawdry arguments with his own fans, at half time they have colouring and a kids room and a sweet shop.

In contrast i contacted TUFC twice last year about the Gulls fanclub for young fans, once after seeing it on the O/S and not one person could tell me what it was or what i was on about.

Their matchday programme has lots of features about local fans and puts them in the limelight having many innovative competitions and activities for young ones. My little one has been featured in it too for making her city debut, the club ran a competition for the young fans to design the front cover for the Accy boxing day programme and we won out of 70 entries we got 4 free tickets to the game and a free programme and a write up (on the way home to Derbyshire though i had to abandon my car in 15cm of snow and walk in the dark and thick snowstorm for 3 hours with my little one to get home - i recovered my car today).

On another occasion i was offered the opportunity to go on the pitch to present midfielder Russell Penn with player of the month award, we sponsor Jake Hyde's boots which we are regularly shown gratitude for and not just left to wonder why the **** hell am i bothering and i've had a nice chat with Russ Wilcox in the car park before the game with Mansfield. Incentives aplenty to keep fans interested too.

Basically, in one of my rambling nutshells - i have had more opportunities, feedback and more engagement from York City in 4 and a half months than i ever did in nearly 7 years of following the Gulls. Behind the scenes they are well organised and at face value appear to put the fans at the forefront of their minds at all times.

Don't get me wrong, football fans are fickle regardless. York reached the play off semi last season yet just a month into this season they were down to the usual hardcore of sub 3000 gates. York strive hard to attract and retain fans through exceptional communication, advertising, customer service, innovation and fan interaction and engagement whereas TUFC quite frankly embarrassing in all areas in all honesty. If the club don't see fit to offer gratitude to fans for forking out to watch utter garbage (which to be fair to Torquay is quite a lot of other clubs too) nor a consistent high end product then the very least they should be doing is making the whole matchday experience and involvement the very best it can be.

Like Matt highlights, a club who takes fans for granted cannot expect those fans to hang around and be at their beck and call when it all comes crashing down.

A club who appreciates it fans and strives to make it a symbiotic relationship have EVERY reason to expect them to keep turning up when things are going wrong. It's called support.

I don't believe in withdrawing support just because the team you follow are always crap and have taken 2 years to decide that Billy Bodin will not produce the goods and i can hold my head up and say i have not done this.

Ok, so i kind of considered it with the Bodin thingy but you get my drift. :Oops:

Most fans are very proud and protective of their club so obviously i expect either no response to my post which is becoming the norm (I've suddenly become a not very nice person purely based on perceived misguided morals which perhaps tells you something about yourself ) or some telling me to piss off like Brucie very kindly did to our Brizzle frequenter. Very welcoming i'm sure. Oh, and he is mentally ill too apparently, Friendlygas that is and not Brucie. :}

Finally :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

I've stood with a hundred and odd York fans at Plymouth. A hundred and odd Torquay fans at some northern griefhole make more noise and are more up for the laugh than what i witnessed. I've also stood with 700 York fans at Hartlepool. Half that amount of Gulls at Cheltenham were far more impressive. York at home have a drummer but he never plays the friggin' thing! He brings it and bangs it a couple of times and then gives up! A bit like Silvio Berlusconi taking his latest to a cocktail party. I'm 100% positive that Danny lad is like the Keith Moon of Torquay whilst the York lad (no offence intended) is like Partridge sat in the car waiting for Lynne and listening to theme tune to The Saint. :)

Torquay fans away are a pleasure to be with and are without doubt the most impressive of the lower leagues that i've ever stood with. I still miss all that shit.

Anyway, as Brian Potter said.......you can't go back and so i bid you a happy new year and i'm willing you into the play offs. I'm obviously not going to bet on it because we all know that you would be 2-0 up on the last day with 5 minutes left and needing only a draw and then the opposition would make a triple sub of Karl Hawley, Billy Bodin and Conor Wilkinson and end up winning the game. :O

CH proved last season that he couldn't make players respond and that is 30% of why we went down - he had plenty of time.

It would be inappropriate of me to comment on how he is doing this season but i think overall where you are in the league - i'd have taken that if i was still a yellow.

Oh and i almost forgot...............you can also respond my tl:dr :clap: :bow:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.