Welling.v.Torquay Sun 28th 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Southampton Gull wrote:Andy, for almost all of us the Club is in our blood and whether we attend or not doesn't make us hypocrites. I can't pretend to understand how you can swap allegiances like you have in the past as I just couldn't do it. I've supported Torquay for as long as I can remember but when I lived in Oxford I watched them and likewise I watched Saints when I moved to Southampton. I hate everything about Portsmouth which most people assume is because of a fondness for Saints, it's actually manifested through years of playing against Portsmouth based teams and working the doors of some of the leading clubs in both Southampton and Portsmouth.

As soon as I retired from playing there was only one team I wanted to go and watch. The road network got better, I had the time and could afford to go to nearly every home game. No matter how bad it gets and no matter what league we play in I will always be a Torquay fan.

I just couldn't do what you've done and suddenly decide to support another team. That doesn't mean I think you're a hypocrite, to me the club just couldn't have been in your blood like it is for the rest of us in the first place. I neither like or dislike you more for your choice on who to support, there are plenty of other reasons you're a dick :)
I think there is perhaps more truth in this than you think and is a very sensible comment Dave.

As for the changing of allegiance i don't think it's as cut and dried as me just dumping one club and picking up another. You are right when you say i have 'watched' a number of clubs including Donny (because it was partly the place i grew up), York and Hull (both who were then in the bottom tier so hardly i can be accused of glory hunting) because i partly grew up around York and played for Hull so i had ties like you did with say Saints and Oxford. I had the best of my times at York and have always had that 'deep rooted' soft spot for a place where you know and you spent many a happy time growing up. I didn't fully realize that at the time. I never have actually fully and commitedly properly been a supporter of any other club other than Torquay so hardly switching allegiance. I watched other clubs as part of social group, not because they were MY club.

Yes during the summer i went to a Derby County match and enjoyed the experience, it was just so different to be sat there with 30 odd thousand people and being overawed by the noise and spectacle. It wasn't right though inside and i had no connection with Derby, just like i had no connection with Torquay. I wanted to watch football again and i wanted that feeling that YOU get when you set foot inside Plainmoor. I went back to York and the football up until Christmas has been worse than Torquay dished up last season but i'm not bothered. I feel happy here. There are a few old and (shocked) faces., i'm a Yorkie and that's it.

This goes someway to responding to Friendlygas too when he said that you support a team because it's where you are from or grew up or had an affinity / connection with.

Maybe i should be thanking the total ineptness of those who run TUFC for pushing me back in the right direction but i've certainly been on the most unusual, turbulent and interesting of journeys these last 10 years.

My last point is that there are many examples of fans switching allegiances and for less excusable reasons as mine. I read about a York fan in one of the programmes who used to support Newcastle United for many years but he got fed up of the money oriented attitude of the premier league and the players and decided to go and watch his nearest lower league club for REAL football. A valid reason you'd think but he has done it. Many have been so disillusioned with their 'club' that they have switched or even formed new clubs like FC United of Manchester.

My example explaining why i couldn't be a hypocrite is EXACTLY the scenario that the FC United fans found themselves in. Unhappy with the owners and board so much that they formed a new club or stopped going to Old Trafford. Not until the Glazers had gone but for good. Obviously i can't form a new club with a breakaway of one therefore i have to do as they have done and view TUFC as failing to exist.

Oh and as for the other reasons why i'm a dick?

Too numerous to list my friend. ;-) :na:

Agree with you about Sky as well. I've got BT as it shows lower league but i can't be doing with all that 'top 4' battle stuff. Top 4 gets you more money so it's more important than winning a trophy as you get less money for that. I'd rather go back to supporting Torquay than follow a Prem Club :lol: although somebody once said that Man City was a good place to start. :slap:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Anyway the one thing i can truly say is that i tried to get to as many TUFC games as possible in the last 5 years home and away and have been all over the UK (as have many other TUFC fans) and i NEVER booed or criticised the players at games only on the forum after, and i always sang and encouraged the players at every step.

As someone whose heart wasn't 100% in it i reckon i did a pretty good job. :scarf:

Good to make your acquaintance at the Kassam for the only time Dave and all the best.

Now............................what the friggin' hell happened at Welling?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

:-/ a few nasty things in there however as its a welling channel probably doesn't show full story
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

ethantufcbaker wrote:
:-/ a few nasty things in there however as its a welling channel probably doesn't show full story
Love the slo-mo for something that clearly is not a penalty as Downes makes connection with ball and player then falls over.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

Rjc70 wrote: Love the slo-mo for something that clearly is not a penalty as Downes makes connection with ball and player then falls over.
Yeah but macdonald does stand on him after that. but yeah that wasnt a pen