Welling.v.Torquay Sun 28th 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Welling.v.Torquay Sun 28th 3pm

Post by Dave »

The Christmas games are coming thick and fast, with little chance to get over today our squad travel to Park View Road, the home of The Wings. The stadium has a 4,000 capacity with 1,000 seats, directions from their official website; http://www.wellingunited.com/wp/directions/

Welling United are a relatively young club formed in 1963, had been in the conference premier before, relegated in 1999/00, the wings returned to the non-league top flight as conference south champions 2012/13 and gained a respectable 16th place finish in their first season back.

We've had only one previous meeting with welling, our first home game of this season saw the gulls pick up a comfortable 3.0 win. Welling have seen some changes since that day, Jody Brown recently appointed manager to replace Ebbsfleet bound Jamie Day, also re-signed goalkeeper Lee Butcher and bought in centre back Michael Chambers on loan from Crystal Palace. Welling United have also lost their talisman Harry Beautyman who's currently out on loan with Peterborough.

Welling United's current form reads; W-L-D-W-W-L

Today Welling suffered a heavy 4.0 defeat at Dover and had their keeper sent off, their line up;

22 Buchel Dismissed
23 Williams
03 Fyfield Booked
05 Fagan
06 Bush
04 Gallagher
20 Corne (Kiassos - 83' )
33 Healy (Ouani - 56' )
10 St Aimie Booked (Penny - 56' )
15 Bassele
24 Hudson

Torquay team news, today we saw Luke Young, Durrell Berry and Courtney Cameron return to fitness, although Tonge long term and McQuilken are both set to miss this game, I'm not sure, but believe Aaron Downes has served his ban and will be available, Martin Rice believed to have missed today's game through illness could also return in goal. Didn't go today, but, what I can glean from the commentary, since confirmed in most match reports, another poor showing from the gulls.

Torquay United's current form reads; W-D-L-W-L-L

Torquay United's line up for today's 1.2 home loss to Bristol Rovers was as follows;

23 Seabright
25 Ives
05 Pearce
21 MacDonald
29 Berry
10 Ajala (Briscoe - 67' )
16 Richards Booked (Yeoman - 82' )
08 Young Booked
11 Cameron
09 Bowman
24 Ofori-Acheampong (Benyon - 82' )

Desperately need a win to keep place with the play-off places and avoid our season coming to an early end. Our team will go into this game as favourites, but, a word of warning, despite their 4.0 defeat today Welling are still some way ahead of us on current form, and have a good recent record on their home ground.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

This now looks like a must-win game with Welling having been well beaten today and their first-choice keeper unavailable for Sunday.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Modgull wrote:This now looks like a must-win game with Welling having been well beaten today and their first-choice keeper unavailable for Sunday.
We have sea bright in goal and haven't had a shot on target in 2 matches. I bet welling are cacking it
Lucy
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

To my mind Seabright didn't look any worse than Rice at all. Sure he looked a bit nervy but at least he looks fit. I would actually persevere with him for the rest of the season. He can only improve with experience wheras Rice will go the same way as Tonge.Harding and co at the end of the season.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular

Post by A Realist »

Gullscorer wrote:I see Bristol Rovers drew 0-0 away to Welling four weeks ago..
Welling have only lost once at home this season and have taken points from Halifax (won), Bristol, Macc, Gateshead, FGR and Woking (all draws). They've not been in that bad form recently given their league position but hopefully yesterday knocked the stuffing out of them a bit and that their reserve keeper is shite.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Funny enough our game against Welling was the same as our position with playing you in that we played them two weeks running having beaten them fairly comfortably at our place.
The pitch is a bit unusual having a slope both side to side and length ways and was in a pretty poor state. having said that we were well on top particularly second half but didn't take our chances. Welling break with pace which was worrying particularly the last half hour where we were well on top but it was one of those games where you get the feeling they were going to pinch one at the end and win.
Their keeper was very good but of course one of their best players was their Manager at the time so for the keeper to be suspended will be a bonus for you.
I imagine if you play with wingers and get crosses in you will cause them problems, their right side was particularly weak.
Good Luck.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

CHRIS HARGREAVES you are losing your way. Pick your best team not what you are seeing at training.
BRISCOE needs to start off of Bowman you need to know your best team. We are not good enough to give all the squad a game by moving the players about.
I did not go to the Rovers game but I've seen enough this season to tell you the best team. I'm going to the Rovers game next week and hope to see Briscoe playing. :keepie:
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular

Post by A Realist »

friendlygas wrote:Funny enough our game against Welling was the same as our position with playing you in that we played them two weeks running having beaten them fairly comfortably at our place.
The pitch is a bit unusual having a slope both side to side and length ways and was in a pretty poor state. having said that we were well on top particularly second half but didn't take our chances. Welling break with pace which was worrying particularly the last half hour where we were well on top but it was one of those games where you get the feeling they were going to pinch one at the end and win.
Their keeper was very good but of course one of their best players was their Manager at the time so for the keeper to be suspended will be a bonus for you.
I imagine if you play with wingers and get crosses in you will cause them problems, their right side was particularly weak.
Good Luck.
If they break with pace then they will cause trouble. We seen enough yesterday to know that.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Like Braintree, Alfreton and Telford before, we should win this one ....... ho, hum. We beat them convincingly on the first day of the season when we played much, much better than we are playing now. Although we won that match, Welling impressed me by the way they kept playing neat football right to the final whistle and I'm pleased to see that they have pulled away from the bottom four. Three points tomorrow and then another three points on New Year's Day would see us nicely placed going into 2015 ....... :scarf:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

friendlygas wrote: having said that we were well on top particularly second half but didn't take our chances.
Hmm ....... no change there, then !! ;-) As for your match against Macclesfield, they have a tight defence but score few goals. You have a tight defence and score few goals. So it will end up 0 -0 .. or 5 - 5 !
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

It will be an interesting game tomorrow Tomogull as I am sure they will be happy to get a point but always be in with a chance of taking all three.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

depends which version of CH, football manager turns up regarding team selection.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Think thats a bit harsh on Hargreaves to be honest - he picked the right team as far as I am concerned against Bristol Rovers.
Briscoe looked even heavier when he came on as sub. On that pitch he would have lasted about half an hour if he had started.
I would definately bring Cruise back for Ives who really struggled against Br. Ives was culpable for the frst goal as he fluffed to opportunities to clear the ball giving it straight to the opposition.
I would actually consider giving Yeoman a go in midfield replacing Richards.
Chapple to replace Cameron out wide.
2nd game in 48 hours is a big ask - so Hargreaves has to freshen it up a bit.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I hadn't realised that Downes can play today and it seems as though he is set to return. I am wondering whether its time for a formation change with perhaps a 3-5-2 playing Downes with the other two central defenders giving us a chance to perhaps strengthen the midfield.
The 4-4-2 clearly isn't working away from home

I would go for something like this

Seabright

Macdonald-Pearce-Downes

Berry-Young-Yeoman-Richards-Cruise

O'Archie-Bowman