TUFC.V.BRFC boxing/new years day match thread.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

CP Gull wrote:Yes Nick, having listened to the David Thoms podcast, he has now had the opportunity to look closely at the DVD and it appears if anything it was the young Rovers striker (Harrison) who was the aggressor and put his face into MacDonald's. The club are considering appealing the red card for MacDonald as it appears all he was (actually) guilty of was swiping a corner flag with his hand - hardly the sort of thing that should warrant a second yellow card!
I didn't think you could appeal a red if it was given for a second bookable offence?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

Scott Brehaut wrote: I didn't think you could appeal a red if it was given for a second bookable offence?
you cant because you cant appeal yellow cards
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Scott Brehaut wrote: I didn't think you could appeal a red if it was given for a second bookable offence?
Quite right. I think the club are clutching at straws tbh. I can only imagine they are trying to see whether it can be treated as a "special case" as ultimately THAT decision has not only (probably) cost us 2 points but also cost young MacDonald a 2 game ban. Based on what I can see from the video footage (link earlier) the only thing MacDonald could be guilty of is swinging his arms around, but given that no contact was made and it certainly didn't impede their striker's attempt to get to the ball, it is a daft decision. You could even argue that the ball was already out of play when the "offence" occurred anyway which means that the ball is "dead". At most, I think a ticking off for both of them (MacDonald and Harrison) and a goal kick to us would have been the correct decision!
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Not sure where the normally well informed Dave Thomas is getting the handball thing from; the linesman on boxing day was clearly holding his flag horizontally stretched in front of him. The signal for offside or goal kick. At no point did he wave his flag for a foul.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular

Post by ethantufcbaker »

Highlights
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular

Post by ethantufcbaker »

Kit_robin wrote:Not sure where the normally well informed Dave Thomas is getting the handball thing from; the linesman on boxing day was clearly holding his flag horizontally stretched in front of him. The signal for offside or goal kick. At no point did he wave his flag for a foul.
The refs report said handball
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

ethantufcbaker wrote: The refs report said handball
Who's seen that then? Watch the official rovers highlights. The linesman flags for offside. The referee when he blows his whistle pits his arm in the air and signals a straight line with his other arm. The decision on the pitch was clearly offside. If the report says different you can only assume they realise they got it wrong and are trying to cover themselves. Anyway, do they write about disallowed goals in refs reports? Why would they? Just an infringement isn't it?
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular

Post by ethantufcbaker »

Kit_robin wrote: Who's seen that then? Watch the official rovers highlights. The linesman flags for offside. The referee when he blows his whistle pits his arm in the air and signals a straight line with his other arm. The decision on the pitch was clearly offside. If the report says different you can only assume they realise they got it wrong and are trying to cover themselves. Anyway, do they write about disallowed goals in refs reports? Why would they? Just an infringement isn't it?
I agree I was at the match and saw it was given as off side you can hear me saying "hes Offside" and yes it was probably a cover up. Fouls and infringements are all in the refs report usually
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I can't see anything in the video to justify a penalty. Even watching MacDonald, who it seems it was given against, I really can't see anything out of the ordinary. Hopefully we can use any anger from this to spur us on to a run of wins. We've played a lot of the better sides now, so it is time to capitalise against the rest, starting with revenge against Alfreton on Sunday.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Must say after watching the video I am even more angry than I was at the game yesterday! I presumed it was an extremely soft pen for the usual jostling that goes on in the box, but there is nothing to suggest MacDonald has done anything. To me, it's a 50-50 challenge, but if anything Harrison is on the back of MacDonald.

I would love to speak to the linesman (for his own safety it would have to be by phone), and ask him what he's seen. He's completely made up a foul. Someone bunged him £50? I normally say that as a joke but this time you have to wonder....
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

Friendlygas seemed convinced yesterday, but looking at that there is potentially a foul on MacDonald, but I cannot for the life of me see how that can be seen as a penalty against us. I think the officials have cost us two points yesterday. How the hell is that a penalty.

And by the sounds of it an undeserved one point on Boxing Day, though I have yet to look at the Benyon effort.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

The Bristol Rovers bloke looks like a werewolf.

(p.s. I have consulted the Political Correctness Rules (all 257,664 of them) and yes, you are allowed to say 'werewolf'.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Could have done without watching that if I'm honest, just ruined my Friday evening! :@

Absolute injustice that penno was and by rights, should there fella not have seen a straight red for pushing his head into Gus?!? Would have been another soft red but I thought that sort of thing was frowned upon and could be classed as aggressive behaviour!! Certainly no worse than a little slap of the corner flag!!!
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

On that evidence on this occasion Friendly gas is really talking crap. Very evident that Ellis Harrison committed a foul on MacDonalad and stuck his head in his face . Jeez Bowman was sent off for less that that ! Absolute travesty even their commentator said so.

Brucie from his arm chair is right !!
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

tufc si wrote:Could have done without watching that if I'm honest, just ruined my Friday evening! :@

Absolute injustice that penno was and by rights, should there fella not have seen a straight red for pushing his head into Gus?!? Would have been another soft red but I thought that sort of thing was frowned upon and could be classed as aggressive behaviour!! Certainly no worse than a little slap of the corner flag!!!
Spot on! I was thinking that myself about the lad sticking his head in, albeit not very aggressively. Cant believe in that non eventful action we conceded a pen and our player, who was being grabbed from behind, who then got lightly nutted, was the one sent off. Those officials were absolutely determined to give Rovers something. :@
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).