TUFC.V.BRFC boxing/new years day match thread.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Friendly gas
It was me asking that question regarding the penalty.

"In answer to someones question I would not have been happy if the penalty had been given against us but could understand it. If you continually push and shove in the box then you are going to get caught out and that's what your players do at corners and got away with it on numerous occasions."

This again is fecking annoying, while admitting I hate all of the pushing and shoving that goes on at free kicks, corners etc Just typical that we get punished for it when so many don't !! You are not going to tel me that the oh so angelic Rovers players don't do that as well ?
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Dave Pougher, There was a push seen by the linesman which means penalty is the correct decision although so much pushing and shoving goes unpunished that anytime you do get it given you are lucky and we were lucky to get it. The linesman gave the decision straight away and would have had a much better view than the referee. To be honest the referee was absolutely crap all game and certainly didn't go with the crowd!!! We will take the point and move on to the next game. Your side were unrecognisable to the team we played last week and totally outplayed.
I think Brucie would make an excellent referee as long as he is refereeing from his armchair far away from the game!!
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Persoanlly don't think it was a penalty because the free kick went straight out of play and was going near no one in the box regardless of weather there was pushing and shirt holding which happens every game. But the ref was abysmal all game. Thought we played quite well and deserved three points. For all of the ball Rovers had we were never really put under any serious threat.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The whole thing about sneaky shirt pulling and a crafty shove in the box from set pieces is something that does go on, Chris Hargreaves is right if you're going to punish it by awarding penalties we could find ourselves seeing 30 spot kicks a game. But, one thing I will say on this, at the start of the season I watched the Aldershot game from behind the goal in the family stand, and was horrified by the amount of times our players were guilty of sailing far to close to the wind on shoving and shirt pulling in the box, something you can't always see from the popside.

I was sat next to a highly qualified referee who I think isn't far from being added to the regional conference league refereeing list, I remember him at least 3 times looking at me with raised eyebrows and saying, the ref could have given that. But it's a fine balance, we've given away so many goals from set pieces and conceded an alarming amount of free headers, so what can you do, CH will be damned if he does tell his players to get tighter and we concede penalties, and damned if he tells the players to stand off and continue watching the opposition win countless free headers.
Formerly known as forevertufc
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

AlexGulls ,There is nothing in the rules to say that the ball has to go near the player only that the ball must be in play. The same way when a cross comes in and a free kick is given to the defending side without any real challenge for the ball. As I said we were lucky to get it and lucky to get a point but in all honesty I think a draw was a fair result based on the game as we did have more chances than you and what you have to remember is Sir Brucie said we didn't deserve to win last game when you only had one chance in the whole 90 minutes and we had about fifteen!!
Defensively I thought you were very good today and a hard working side in midfield with little cutting edge. I can see why you have had players sent off because your player had no regard for the fact he was on a yellow card and just went on and on,the sending off was inevitable.
surreygas
New Signing
New Signing

Post by surreygas »

Dreadful game today and a real let down for Gasheads after our recent form - neither team will get out of this league playing like that! Once Torquay scored early on it was always going to be difficult for Rovers to break down a stubborn Torquay reargaurd and midfield. Strange tactics from our manager changing the formation and players from the previous two games. Torquay did a good job of closing us down and we never looked like scoring until the penalty decision. I had a good view of it from my seat in the Dribuild Stand (same side as away terrace) and couldnt see any infringement - the ball seemed to be drifting well over everyones' heads to safety. But maybe if our player hadn't been pushed then he would have made contact with the ball. Harsh all the same and I'd be agrieved if it had been given against us.

Overall, a draw was probably a fair reflection of the play but I was mighty relieved to have got a point from this game.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

This was an improved performance with 10 out of the starting line-up giving their all. Torquay under CH like to play football on the ground and today's showing is due to the state of the pitch which allowed the Gulls to play the hosts off the pitch.
For me, where we were let down was because of a below standard display from Bowman. He really needs to up his commitment but it looks as if his name is always first on the team sheet.
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

nickbrod wrote:This was an improved performance with 10 out of the starting line-up giving their all. Torquay under CH like to play football on the ground and today's showing is due to the state of the pitch which allowed the Gulls to play the hosts off the pitch.
For me, where we were let down was because of a below standard display from Bowman. He really needs to up his commitment but it looks as if his name is always first on the team sheet.
Maybe dropping him for a couple games and putting briscoe up front?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Friendlygas - Can't be arsed to rise to your posts. Ha Ha Ha - you turned up thinking you were going to roll us over and ended up fluking a point. You dropped more points on Barnet. Ha Ha Ha.
You are heading for the play offs and there is every chance that you will get beat by someone and still be in the Conference next year.
Crowds of 8000 + and you still won't get out of this league. Ha ha ha. :bow:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Burnhamgull wrote:So another game, another red card.

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks, our card is well and truly marked. We are classed as a dirty team with a terrible disciplinary record. mCDonalds dismissal means another absence just as Downes returns. When will they learn?

On a separate matter, the away following looks quite small from pictures I've seen. Sad what's happening to the club currently.
There was over 400 more than last year. :keepie:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:Friendlygas - Can't be arsed to rise to your posts. Ha Ha Ha - you turned up thinking you were going to roll us over and ended up fluking a point. You dropped more points on Barnet. Ha Ha Ha.
You are heading for the play offs and there is every chance that you will get beat by someone and still be in the Conference next year.
Crowds of 8000 + and you still won't get out of this league. Ha ha ha. :bow:
On the other hand Brucie, Rovers picked up 7 points from the three matches over the Christmas/New Year period - we managed 2 ............ Very few teams bounce right back to the league. Luton's gates were as good as, if not better, than Rovers and look how long it took them to get back. The play offs are a lottery as we know and it could very well be that Rovers will be in the conference for three or four seasons as I'm sure their fans well realise.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

12 points ahead of you Brucie you dispicable man. No way did I turn up thinking we would turn you over and knew it would be a tough game based on how easy it was last week. These reverse fixtures usually turn out this way. We deserved a draw today based on the way the game went- no more no less but we couldn't complain had we lost because you took your chance and defended very well. Torquay supporters are great in general but you are a total a-----e.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Moving on from friendlygas and brucie love affair...

Very refreshing display from Seabright for me, learnt from the boxing day and command his area from set pieces much better with a few crucial punches. also made a very good one handed save in the 2nd half. Hopefully he can cement his place and go from strength to strength!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You may be twelve points ahead of us dickhead but you should be - your crowds are way bigger than ours. You are the best supported team by a mile yet you are way behind little ol Barnet.
Accept it you are on a par with the likes of Forest Green and Eastleigh - thats how much of a billy big bollocks club you are - not. Ha ha ha best result of the season for us by a mile just to shut your arrogant trap up.
Loving it.... :~D :na: :-o :rofl: :scarf: :slap: :sleep: :whistle: :) :clap: