TUFC.V.BRFC boxing/new years day match thread.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

TUFC.V.BRFC boxing/new years day match thread.

Post by Dave »

The familiar boxing day, new years day conference double header is upon us, thought I'd do one thread to cover both games. Our opponents Bristol Rovers who started out life as Black Arab F.C in 1883 first visit Plainmoor on boxing day, before we make the return journey a week later.

Many would claim Bristol Rovers to be one of the biggest clubs to have fallen out of the football League and justifiably so, Bristol Rovers spent three seasons in the second tier of English football back in the early 1990's, had been in the Football League since 1920, they can boast one of the highest average home attendances in the football conference division's history.

The Gasheads, a nickname gained from the gasworks next to their former Eastville home are familiar opponents, Torquay have played Bristol Rovers on eighty two occasions in the League and various cup competitions. Controversial timing behind Paul Buckle's move to Rovers has added more than a little spice to our recent meetings, the 13th August 2011 will live long in my memory, as I, joined many other Gulls fans to witness a pleasing 1.2 away win against Bristol Rovers, to send Paul Buckle home with ' your getting sacked in the morning ' ringing in his ears, this will be our first ever meeting in the conference, and will see the return of former Gulls captain, the kissing Lee Mansell.

Rovers current form reads; D-W-W-D-D-W

Last time out Rovers beat Gateshead at home 3.2 and lined up as follows.

32 Speiss
04 Lockyer
05 McChrystal (Trotman - 66' )
06 Parkes
03 Brown
24 Sinclair
07 Mansell Booked
23 Monkhouse
29 Balanta (Clarke - 29' )
10 Taylor
31 Wall (Harrison - 85' )

From a Torquay Point of view, we have Tonge unavailable to a long term injury, both Durrell Berry and Luke Young missed our last outing at Braintree, and makeshift right back McQuilken was taken off and may not may not be fit, so the pressures on to get some of these lads back and fit to play, Aaron Downes will serve the last of his four match suspension.

Torquay's Current form reads; L-W-D-L-W-L.

Last time Torquay lined up for the 2.0 defeat at Braintree as follows.

01 Rice
22 McQuilkin (Cruise - 30' )
05 Pearce Booked
21 MacDonald Booked
25 Ives Booked
07 Briscoe (Chapell - 62' )
06 Harding
16 Richards
10 Ajala
24 Ofori-Acheampong Booked (Yeoman - 67' )
09 Bowman

Our inconsistent form continues, and the inconsistent form of some of our individual players is a concern to me, yes we have a very young team, but that isn't the be all and end all of the problems, there are other young teams achieving consistency at various levels. Consistency comes from self belief, confidence and mentality, our team has proved capable of beating any one in this league, but I question as a fan whether our players have enough of these qualities to see us gain a play-off place. Chris Hargreaves received some criticism after Saturday's horror show for not motivating the team, for me all this group of players need to do, is have a look at the league table, and despite some very poor performances and results realise they're only 3 points off a play-off spot. What extra motivation do they need ?

Head to head in all competitions shows; Torquay 26 wins, Bristol Rovers 36 wins and 20 Draws.
Formerly known as forevertufc
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

we are either going to get rinsed 3-0, or we will sneak a 1-0 win...... :)

and if we do lose, mansell the reject is bound to score............ :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Just realised this is a 3pm kick off, surely early luch time for a boxing day game is better. Not exactly a family friendly ko time really. Earlier surely would have been better for quite a few supporters, go to the match, then still have time later to do the usual boxing day stuff. I know I wont be allowed to go and my Dad wont either. Bugger!
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

chunkygull wrote:Just realised this is a 3pm kick off, surely early luch time for a boxing day game is better. Not exactly a family friendly ko time really. Earlier surely would have been better for quite a few supporters, go to the match, then still have time later to do the usual boxing day stuff. I know I wont be allowed to go and my Dad wont either. Bugger!
:O :~D
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Bristol Rovers, the only club to be influenced by their own fans forum. After discovering that Gasheads seem to think the club is massive, the Board decided the only way to achieve it would be relegation to the Conference so that they could be!

Any news on that new stadium that we kept having artists impressions of annoyingly stuck on our forum?, together with bets that in 5 years time Rovers would be at least 2 leagues ahead of us!

That was July 2011. The clock is ticking! ;-)
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

chunkygull wrote:Just realised this is a 3pm kick off, surely early luch time for a boxing day game is better. Not exactly a family friendly ko time really. Earlier surely would have been better for quite a few supporters, go to the match, then still have time later to do the usual boxing day stuff. I know I wont be allowed to go and my Dad wont either. Bugger!
Tell him to man up, Boxing Day is all about Dads getting out for a few priceless hours. :)
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

not allowed to go to the match, i've heard it all now, you both need to man up and get to plainmoor!!
still keeping the faith
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Dreadful weather predicted for tomorrow-non stop heavy rain all day.Lets hope pitch holds up.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Morning - thinking of going but the weather forecast is diabolical. We really need to get this one played though. Does anyone down there have any update re the rain - is it currently as bad as was forecasted? - cheers
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Wearing my lucky pants socks and shirt for this one so why do I have a horrible feeling we're gonna get mullered?

Bringing three other first timers with me so I'm doing my bit TUFC you do yours!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

brucie wrote:Morning - thinking of going but the weather forecast is diabolical. We really need to get this one played though. Does anyone down there have any update re the rain - is it currently as bad as was forecasted? - cheers
I live in Milber less than 10 minutes drive from Plainmoor, it is raining but only very light rain fall. We've had little or no rain fall in the last few weeks, I would imagine it would take a shockingly horrendous amount of rain fall in a very short space of time to see this game called off, in other words the game will be on.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

Will definitely be on, it's not even raining that heavily in torquay
COYY
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

I'm a five-minute walk away from the ground and it's raining quite heavily now. However, as Forever mentioned, we've had little rain lately so I'll be surprised if it gets called off. Will definitely put off a few fair-weather fans, though.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

tommyg wrote:I'm a five-minute walk away from the ground and it's raining quite heavily now. However, as Forever mentioned, we've had little rain lately so I'll be surprised if it gets called off. Will definitely put off a few fair-weather fans, though.
really?

I live in Babbacome and its hardly raining at all.

It hasnt rain a lot in the last couple of weeks, this game is 100% on!

Stop making excuses get to Plainmoor and cheer on the lads!

:scarf: :scarf:
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!