TUFC.V.BRFC boxing/new years day match thread.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

WTF! No appeals from any BR players, even supporters. My only conclusion is that we have been stitched up somewhere. The referee did not award it, until the lineman waved his flag like a madman, so in theory we can't blame the referee, the linesman is accountable for this. As for Angus being sent off for swiping the corner flag....well we always say it can only happen at Torquay . Regroup and hit Alfreton for six on Sunday .
Lucy
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well, agreed, having watched that video that's got to go down as one of the worst decisions I've ever seen, for a start it should in the first instance have been a free kick to Torquay, and secondly when Gus said there was nothing in it, he's right, there's nothing in that at all.

Wonder how much influence us Torquay fans had in this though, Ellis Harrison was being wound up something chronic by a large group of TUFC fans while warming up, maybe he took that onto the pitch in his mind, and seems to have got pay back, doesn't he.
Formerly known as forevertufc
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Yep, have to agree. Sorry friendly gas, I always like reading the stuff you put on here because it is always an honest appraisal of how you see things with our club from an "outsiders" point of view but on this occasion I genuinely think you have got it wrong and "armchair" Brucie is right :nod: although the personal attacks are totally unnecessary! :Oops:

I also think Marcus Stewart has made a bit of a tit of himself by suggesting to the local press that it was a correct decision to award the penalty - when clearly he had no view of what actually happened. His comments are purely based on bias and do not reflect well on him. Needless to say it goes without saying how incensed he would have been if the decision had been given the other way round!!!
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

Harrison is the only Ayer to claim something on MacDonald winds him up after as well by doing wanker symbol and putting his finger up. Agree though hew getting abuse so was fired up
surreygas
New Signing
New Signing

Post by surreygas »

All, take a look at the photos posted in the following link:

http://gasheads.org/thread/2033/bristol ... utd-photos

There are a good few pics of the penalty incident. Still cant see too much of a foul but Harrison's shirt is half way up his back so maybe the lino saw McDonald pulling his shirt.

No matter how you view it, even if there is shirt pulling this happens all the time so a harsh decision.

But we have had some shocking decisions given against us this season so we'll take this one!

See you all in the playoffs! We've already booked Thomas Harty to run the line again :)
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

All I can say is I was in the exact same viewpoint as Marcus Stewart in that I was stood up higher and would get a better view than him even and the point of contention is being looked upon too late. If you watch just after the ball is kicked in, your player (I assumed MacDonald) has hold of Harrisons shirt and prevented him getting off the ground or moving in long before the ball had reached that point. You can see it clearly on the match video that MacDonald had hold of his shirt first and Harrison was turning to get out of his grip. At that point within the rules of the game it is a definite penalty IF SEEN. We all know that players are very guilty of doing it because 9 times out of 10 they get away with it. You have to accept that if you are the unlucky ones who get seen and penalised then that is the chance every player takes.I find shirt pulling very annoying and MacDonald did it in every tussle and some of our players are guilty as well- if more were penalised then I am sure it would soon stop it.
This goes on all the time and I agree that if every one of these incidents were given then there would be lots of penalties but every now and again they are given (you only have to watch match of the day to see it). We had one at Braintree which was exactly the same the only difference was the ball went straight into our keepers hand.
I would add to this that the linesman had given some ridiculous decisions against us all match yesterday so i had no doubt at the time that he must have seen the offence because he was very quick putting his flag up.
As regards saying the decision at Torquay cost you two points that is ridiculous because in the same way we were denied a definite penalty in that game that would have seen us out of sight of you.
It is very easy to pick on a couple of incidents and say they affected the result but in all honesty I would say we well deserved the points at your place and we were lucky to get a point yesterday although it was a lot closer affair than at your place and overall a draw was probably fair whatever means it came about as your keeper was definitely busier than ours.
I am sure between now and the end of the season we will both have lots of other decisions to query. All the fun or agony of the game of Football.
At the end of the day over a season you are going to win some and lose some in the way of decisions and that's football.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Don't agree with you one little bit FG as from them photo's it looks like the decision was neither here nor there! Both of your chaps hands are practically on Gus' shoulders, thus preventing him from leaping properly. You can also see that not one of your other players are appealing, they've all turned away.

I can't argue that you didn't deserve all 3 points when you came to us, but other than a penno, we could still be playing today and you still wouldn't have scored!!!
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

The thing is friendly gas, whichever way you dress it up, if a penalty is given EVERY time that a defender grabs a bit of shirt at a dead ball situation then quite simply EVERY free kick or corner launched into the box will lead to a penalty - it really is that prevalent! Do we REALLY want to see a game where 20 or 30 penalties are given every game - because quite literally that is what it would mean!

Personally, I want to watch FOOTBALL not NETBALL! There has already been too much physicality taken out of the game, in my opinion, and decisions like this really are taking it too far - who would want to be a defender in the modern game if this is the way we are heading?
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

it's not a penalty.

edit

i love the OP in this thread

http://gasheads.org/thread/2033/bristol ... utd-photos

'the great atmosphere' he is joking right?

It was one of the worst home side atmospheres i've ever seen! we made more noise at home being 2-0 down!

for over 7,500 home fans it was very poor!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

I don't disagree with either of you on this decision or that I too wouldn't want to see a penalty given every time it happens however the effect of giving penalties for shirt pulling when it was seen would be that it wouldn't take too many of those decisions to stop players doing it which in the long term would be better for the game a bit like diving. I agree also that too much physicality has been taken out of the game and it is that which has caused players to regularly pull shirts. On this occasion the linesman spotted it and gave it.There were many decisions yesterday that went against us and you just have to get on with it. It happens even in the Premiership where referees decisions are always queried. in some ways the game was better years ago when it just had to be accepted that the referees were human and made mistakes but you didnt get the chance to see incidents again. Personally if somebody asked me which i preferred to watch between years ago where players were dirty and today where any contact is deemed unacceptable I think i would definitely prefer the old days , even watching the dirty Italians playing England with all their dirty tricks!!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You are in denial you stupid prick now for goodness sake **** off.
Your making yourself look a bigger tool than you actually are (if thats possible)
Your player comitted the foul on Macdonald - this isn't anything to do with which team you support - its what you can see from the video. Its quite possibly the most ludicrous decsion I have ever seen.
You talk garbage constantly. For the Benyon equaliser you insisted that Benyon was offside (even though you were probably 90 yards away behing the goal)
Yet as I told you the "goal" was disallowed for handball (which is just ridiculous). The fact that the referee signalled it for offside at the time and yet put in his report that it was handball is a savage indictment on the officating.
We could and should have had four points against you over Xmas. A point may have been undeserved on Boxing day but it doesn't alter the fact we were denied a 2-2 draw by a diabolical decision.
To get another astonishingly awful decision at your place is really bad luck.
And then you bang on about your midfield and Sinclair who is just a carthorse ( err he has played for Forest Green and Salisbury for christ sake)
Then there was Matt Grimes - oh yes he has just gone to Swansea for one and three quarter million today a club record fee for Exeter.
You post serial bollocks - I am actually trying to do you a favour by trying to educate you so you can see the fool you really are
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Right - enough is enough guys.

Everybody has had their point of view put across now, and that can continue - but without the personal abuse. It's unnecessary, and if you really DO need to use it, maybe a forum isn't for you.

Let's try and all play nicely, or us nasty mods might actually have to start moderating....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

yellowsmiffy wrote:Funnily enough, the only red card incident is Harrison sticking his forehead in MacDonalds face after Angus turned around after being fouled. We have had reds for that. Absolutely farcical officiating. Those photos show a shirt tug, but don't show Harrison sticking himself into Macdonalds back which has evidently caused him to respond with force and unfortunately grab his shirt. You can see from Angus's expression and frustration that he was being fouled. If a ref is going to break the norm and give one of those petty incidents, its at least got to be one where the ball was being contested for, not high above their heads. Rovers fans know it wasn't a penalty. A lot of them talk deluded bollocks as per usual, just like when they were suicidal after 4 weeks of the season before convincing themselves they're the best thing since sliced bread soon after.

Note on the atmosphere... Gulls fans were so so poor, hate to say it. Worst away atmosphere I've ever been in considering the numbers, whilst Rovers were appalling for such a big crowd and only bothered with a few sporadic chants.

Poor game, Gulls dominated until ten men and the inevitable late push from Rovers. Thought Chappell and Ajala were excellent, Cruise and the two CBs very good. Berry's game was a bit off for the first time and almost gave away a pen when swinging for the ball inside the area up at our end but decent enough. Harding was very good, whilst Bowman did ok but lacked chances and didn't have much of an impact. Archeampong was good and caused problems with a nice goal, but he's never going to be much more than a physical unit.

Seabright was excellent and although looking a little nervy with a couple of punches, he did well and made some good saves.
I agree atmosphere was awful. I know no roof meant no acoustics but games away to forest green exeter Plymouth Newport all local in the psst two seasons have had much louder atmosphere espically forest green
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

The away atmosphere at Barnet was fantastic with about 250 of us; metal stand was amazing for making a lot of noise & amplified by the roof : was still buzzing for days after, & I know some other supporters were too (almost as good as Pompey the previous season, with lots more of us). The Mem Away Terrace is a pretty miserable place to be when it's windy & heavy rain forecast, so I defaulted to the South Stand this time. It feels very rickety & the canopy flaps about noisily, but you don't get as wet ! Agree the Rovers support was reasonably muted ; love that the Club plays 'Good Night Irene' over the tannoy before the game to remind them of the words ! :)
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Not many teams generate a good atmosphere here at the Mem unless they have the whole of the South stand and that has an effect on the whole ground particularly where it is a poor game. Much prefer away games.