Braintree Town.v.Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

I thought we were a full time professional football club??
Yesterday, not for the first time this season, shows that we are falling short on so many levels.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Burnhamgull wrote:I really can't see Downes learning from this latest red card. When the red mist comes down, he loses it and has no self control.
The red card against Telford and the red card against Barnet have both proved that. Short tempered people never change and he is short tempered.
Nonsense. The red card against Barnet was a pathetic decision. He was sent off as the linesman informed the referee he headbutted Akinde. Absolute tosh as he was having his shirt pulled from behind and was trying to free himself. Since when can you headbutt someone who's behind you without doing yourself more damage?
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Spot on Sunnysideup. Exactly as I saw it.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I wasn't at the Barnet game, nor have I seen any video so not doubting anyone's word here. But if that was the case why did our club not appeal the red card ? why did Aaron Downes apologise to his team mates ? why was Aaron Downes subjected to a club fine ?

Seems to suggest something very different happened, just saying.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Indeed, there's no smoke without fire.

The red card at Telford was a totally reckless challenge and I'd even go as far as to say it was pre-meditated as he'd been caught a few minutes earlier by the same player. He knew what he was doing when he steamed in at the corner flag.

The Barnet match was similar. We were being bullied by the beasts of Barnet and Downes took exception yet again. We had a chance but his sending off cost us in my humble opinion.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

If you study the film on Gulls Player it does NOT show a head butt.

However we could not appeal because Downes did react and Markovic did the same thing for Liverpool a few days later and was Red Carded.

Aaron has a bad record BUT I think this could be a turning point. He knows he has to keep his cool in future and I for one give him one last chance.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

I think Guy Branson speaking on Radio Devon before the Halifax match had a valid view: Akinde is 6ft 5ins and Downes is 5ft 10ins so a bit difficult for Downes to head butt.
Having said that it will be interesting to see once his suspension is served when Downes is restored to the side. Mind you MacDonald is on 8 yellows at the moment.
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

nickbrod wrote:I think Guy Branson speaking on Radio Devon before the Halifax match had a valid view: Akinde is 6ft 5ins and Downes is 5ft 10ins so a bit difficult for Downes to head butt.
Having said that it will be interesting to see once his suspension is served when Downes is restored to the side. Mind you MacDonald is on 8 yellows at the moment.
Branston did make that observation, but Downes is taller than he said and Akinde is shorter than he said.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I am not suggesting in anyway that Downes did head-butt his opponent, we are only presuming that Downes was sent off for a head-butt, none of us have seen the referee's report so we do not actually know, he may have been. Referring to my above post , Chris Hargreaves and the football clearly believe the red card was justified, so he's done something, that's all we need to know.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

It couldnt be appealed without clear video evidence. As the camera was following the ball you can only catch the slightest part of the incident.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Still angry about yesterday's performance. It makes you just wonder what goes on in training or indeed exactly how much is done. Unprofessional doesn't even come close.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Was away in Cornwall and believe me their sports program is appalling. An absolutely appallling result as we have lost again to another team down the bottom.
When I finally get to a computer I find that Clown Rice is at it yet again.
Its all so predictable - he has one decent game (against HAlifax) and we win, yet gifting the opposition the first goal invariably cost us the points.
That must be getting on for 20 points he has cost us now - that is just criminal.