Braintree Town.v.Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Braintree Town.v.Torquay

Post by Dave »

Saturday see's our team start it's Christmas run of fixtures with a trip to Cressing Road, for our first ever meeting with Braintree Town FC. Braintree Town started out life as a works team, formed in 1898 under the name of Manor works, part of the Crittal window company which still trades to this day, the clubs nickname 'The Iron' comes from this period in their history.

The football club has had a number of name changes, firstly to Crittal Athletic, then to Braintree + Crittal Athletic, however after all ties with the window company were cut in 1981 the club became known as Braintree FC, before settling on their current name in 1983.

Braintree Town under their original name Manor Works started out life in the Essex and Suffolk borders league, however they would compete in a number of minor and county leagues pre and post both world wars . In 1991 Braintree stepped up to the Southern league, transferring to the Isthmian league division three soon after wards, after a number of promotions Braintree Town finished as Isthmian Premier division Champions in 2005, after twice losing in the conference south play-offs were finally promoted to the conference premier in 2010 after finishing as conference south champions, Braintree Town have retained their non-league top flight status since.

Braintree Town's current form reads; L-L-W-W-L-L

Last time out Braintree Town beat AFC Sudbury in the F.A Trophy, and lined up as follows.

Nick Hamann
Ryan Peters
Mitch Brundle (Charlie Strutton, 64 mins)
Sam Habergham
Chez Isaac
Alan Massey
Kenny Davis
Matt Paine
Sean Marks
Simeon Akinola (Dan Sparkes, 81 mins)
James Mulley.

From a Torquay point of view, we've seen our team win their last two games which is encouraging, although last weeks 5.0 win at Bishops Stortford should be seen as a confidence builder , I don't think us fans can or will read to much into that, thinks it's encouraging to see both Ryan Bowman and Duane Ofori-Acheampong find the net in both our last two games. Aaron Downes continues his suspension, and there are injury doubts with Durrell Berry and Angus MacDonald, but with Thomas Cruise and Ben Harding taking part last Saturday their is Centre back cover if MacDonald is not fit, not forgetting youth teamer ONeil Odofin.

Torquay United's current form reads; D-L-W-D-L-W

Last time in the F.A Trophy our team lined up as follows.

Martin Rice
James McQuilkin
Krystian Pearce
Angus MacDonald (Oneil Odofin 75)
Tom Cruise
Louis Briscoe (Jordan Chapell 71)
Luke Young (Ben Harding 82)
Courtney Richards
Toby Ajala
Ryan Bowman
Duane Ofori-Acheampong.

This is a game many of our fans will expect to win, however I saw them play away to Luton on B.T Sport towards the end of last season, they looked a useful side that day, and with Alan Devonshire as manger, personally expect this to be tough game, but still a game we should believe our team can win.
Formerly known as forevertufc
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

There's a common theme with their last 6 conference games bar Telford:
Grimsby, Lost 1-0
Dover, Lost 1-0
Wrexham, Won 1-0
Telford, Won 3-1
Welling, Lost 1-0
Woking, Lost 1-0.

So expect lots of goals!
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

They have a habbit of beating recently relegated teams/bigger teams in this league so wouldn't be surprised if they gave us a game despite there lowly position. Think it will lack goals be 1-0 either way.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Really hope we do well with this one, a good confidence boost would be welcome before we take on the Gas twice.

Or am I expecting to much from the Christmas games cos their 3rd and we're just like err,,,,, 9th ! (Sixth actually)
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Gullscorer wrote:We'll be third in the table ourselves come New Year's Day.. :)
I'm putting a ban on you making predictions this season. Last season you predicted every week that we weren't going to be relegated and we did, so this season, if you insist on making predictions, please predict that we won't be promoted or something of that ilk, or don't predict at all :)

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

OK, I predict that sometime in the future we'll be relegated and promoted, but not necessarily in that order, and not necessarily in successive seasons. Or not, as the case may be.. :)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I will not be able to make any more predictions until the New Year.. :-/
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

here is a prediction from me, niall thompson will be released before christmas. ;-)
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

ROADRUNNER wrote:here is a prediction from me, niall thompson will be released before christmas. ;-)
Hope he doesn't as think he is quite good shame he doesn't get game time.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Any indication on whether segregation is enforced tomorrow?
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

yellowmonkey wrote: Hope he doesn't as think he is quite good shame he doesn't get game time.
Well, as is usually the case, it seems RoadRunner is spot on with this news...

A real shame, but the right decision in my book. For all those who will bemoan the fact that he didn't get enough chances with us, a fair point given his limited opportunities, I think it is probably more significant that in all his loan spells with lower level clubs he has really failed to make much of an impact. A case in point being that he cannot currently break into the Truro side, being used most recently from the bench.

As always, I wish him all the best, but I suspect he will struggle to get another club at our level in his career.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

If Thompson is set to leave this follows CH's recent comments about potential January transfer window activities, namely if anyone is coming in somebody has to leave first.
How about a contract for McQuilken who has impressed since slotting in at right-back?
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Can't decide whether to go today its about 3 hours away and 2.5 tends to be my cut off point. Can't see many goals in it and I've only seen one league win in 7 this season..