Bishops Stortford.v.Torquay F.A Trophy

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Firstly Blue Brazilian, do not take anything you see written on here to heart, a small minority of our fans described Telford and Alfreton as pub teams and we lost to both of them.

Secondly lets give our friend from Bishops Stortford a bit of break here, he's proud to support his team and like any other fan he's going stick up for them, after all how many times have I been asked by some one which football team do I support, and the response I normally get when I say TUFC, nice, but who's your premiership team, and then you have to say, no, really just TUFC, sure I'm not the only one who's had that either.
Formerly known as forevertufc
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Blue Brazilian wrote:Think calling us a pub team is a tad harsh boy! Especially as our no.7 ran rings around your chubsters for most of the game! Ah we'll just goes to show how blinkered footie fans can be.
Not offended, just curious, but who are these 'chubsters'? I'm racking by brains here, but I can only think of one Torquay player who's of the 'big-boned' variety, and that's Briscoe.
TUST member 203
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

He clearly hasnt seen bayo or parkin play, now they are chubsters
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Clearly Briscoe, and Martin Rice does carry a little condition, although not quite at the same level as Briscoe.

EDIT, sorry forgot to add, big boned.. :rofl: an excuse often used, no such thing, he can and should be able to lose weight, then , the one player we have capable of matching Luke Young, in the, who's our best player stakes, might not be blowing out the back of his arse after 65 minutes.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

forevertufc wrote: EDIT, sorry forgot to add, big boned.. :rofl: an excuse often used, no such thing,
Rest assured, I was being gently sarcastic there...
TUST member 203
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

divingbboy wrote: Rest assured, I was being gently sarcastic there...
I know...I was in part having laugh (inserted rofl simile) and in part being serious.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Blue Brazilian wrote: Ah we'll just goes to show how blinkered footie fans can be.
This from the man who thinks his team were the better side AND LOST 5-0. I think my irony detector just exploded.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Blue Brazilian wrote:Think calling us a pub team is a tad harsh boy! Especially as our no.7 ran rings around your chubsters for most of the game! Ah we'll just goes to show how blinkered footie fans can be.
i, like dave(forevertufc) admire fans of all teams that play in the lower leagues........

however, saying that our players were "chubsters" lovely word by the way - is somewhat misguided.

seeing as the aforementioned "chubsters" spanked your team 5-0.

and, if your No.7 did "run rings" around us, he didnt do that good a job.

Merry Xmas.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

How good are these saves that keep being mentioned? Are they miles beyond what you'd expect Ricey or any other lower league goalkeeper to be making, or is he simply doing his job and preventing the ball going into the net? I've no agenda here, I'm not hoping for one answer or the other, I'm merely curious.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

ferrarilover wrote:How good are these saves that keep being mentioned? Are they miles beyond what you'd expect Ricey or any other lower league goalkeeper to be making, or is he simply doing his job and preventing the ball going into the net? I've no agenda here, I'm not hoping for one answer or the other, I'm merely curious.
Matt.
Of course you are, Matt.. :)
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

ferrarilover wrote:How good are these saves that keep being mentioned? Are they miles beyond what you'd expect Ricey or any other lower league goalkeeper to be making, or is he simply doing his job and preventing the ball going into the net? I've no agenda here, I'm not hoping for one answer or the other, I'm merely curious.

Matt.
Most of them were saves you would expect a keeper to make. But given the form Rice has been in they were still good enough to help build his confidence.
Blue Brazilian
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Danny Sullivan

Post by Blue Brazilian »

Least I've created a bit of interest in a minor Trophy! When I said footie fans were blinkered I meant both sets.....we think that was the strangest 5-0 ever as it was a very flattering scoreline, whereas you think we are a pub team and were outclassed! Our no.7 ran rings around most of your lot but unfortunately the rest of our lot didn't. Still think a few of your players should abstain from eating at xmas but maybe our lot are just weedy in comparison! Merry xmas all! ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!!
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

forevertufc wrote: after all how many times have I been asked by some one which football team do I support, and the response I normally get when I say TUFC, nice, but who's your premiership team, and then you have to say, no, really just TUFC, sure I'm not the only one who's had that either.
A Spurs fan at work asked me just that, when I told him just Torquay he said it must be weird supporting a team you don't get to see play as they are never on TV.

He was astounded when I said that I actually go and watch them live! :O
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Out of interest, who was the no.7 for Stortford (I'd not been to Woodside Park for a game this year so am unfamiliar with this years squad)? He did look pretty good, good close control and pace.

You never know - seeing as Greavsie plucked Ajala, O'Achie and Richards from relative obscurity, maybe if this lad made an impression it could get him a chance in full time football
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Strange you should say that Jeff, I was thinking, after reading the match reports yesterday, if Chris Hargreaves is anything like Buckle, and this Bishops winger was that impressive, what's the chances CH might go back for him in the summer, we shall see.