Bishops Stortford.v.Torquay F.A Trophy

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
WYGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ian Twitchin

Post by WYGull »

There all on xscores.com. Rovers lost at home 2-0 to bath city.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Just like to keep my feet on the ground. A win is a win. I've watched us lose at Farnborough etc

The reality is that we SHOULD have won today so when we do, it's no more than job done.

I'm pleased we're through but lets not lose focus on what really matters this season. The league is everything. I don't want us all on here five years from now getting excited because we've dropped another division and we're getting excited about winning the Devon Bowl against Willand.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Just got back. Wasn't really a 5-0 game to be fair as Ricey has had to pull off a few good saves. But we never had to get out of second gear, were always too strong for them.

Wasn't an easy game by any stretch, but I think the early goal set the tone for the game. Quite a nice goal too - worked the ball on the right to Briscoe, but didn't really have a lot to aim at in the box but Bowman made a great run across the near post and neatly tucked the cross away.

We always had this air of not taking the game seriously - taking far too many touches at the back and not closing down well enough. This caused us a few problems as Rice had to make a couple of smart stops and a few crosses flashed across the goal without a key touch. We also managed to carve out a few openings, which McDonald, O'Achie and Young all forcing good stops from the home keeper.

Just before half time we turn on the quality to make the game safe. Slick passing, right to left sees a square ball played into Bowman and he rolls it home.

Second half and we absorb a bit of pressure and hit them on the break a little more. Bowman had already spurned one chance for his hat-trick, forcing a save at the near post from the keeper, when Young made it three. A bit of penalty box pinball, Young takes control, cuts across the box and fires in low with his left foot.

For much of the rest of the game the ball was down the other end, as the home side forced a few corners and tested Ricey with a few shots. Fortunately Ricey's handling was faultless today.

As the game petered out, we snatched two late goals to make it emphatic. For the fourth, Bowman was played onside by a slow-to-retreat defence, and unselfishly squared the ball to O'Achie to slot home. And right at the death, O'Achie attempted to return the favour to Bowman by playing him in to a near open goal, but Bowman fluffed the shot. Fortunately Chappell was on hand to slam the ball home from a tight angle high at the near post.

A couple of positives to draw from today. Bowman looks in great form and real handful. McQuilkin - for someone who isn't a right back - looks pretty good there. Quick, and strong in the tackle for a small guy. And it was handy to give Odofin some game time.

Negatives - overran in midfield too much, which is a worry given the strength of the opposition. And the potential injury to McDonald - Odofin came on and looked a bit shaky so I'd fear for him at Conference level.

All in all, a job done without ever really extending ourselves. And it means I can wear my Gulls shirt around town with pride!!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

WYGull wrote:They're all on xscores.com. Rovers lost at home 2-0 to bath city.
Just seen them. Thanks. :-D
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

How many Torquay fans would you say Jeff?
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Blue Brazilian
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Danny Sullivan

Post by Blue Brazilian »

Just got home on a cold and frosty night in East Herts. Very flattering scoreline, you probably deserved the win but only one team playing football, especially in the first half. Referee had an absolute shocker no need to guess he's postcode but at this level we're sort of used to it. Your full timers fitness level certainly showed in the second half though gotta say we've never seen so many overweight players in a full time team before. Very surprising! Disappointed with the 'Blues turnout not much atmos but I suppose it's Xmas, shopping and all that crap. Only 80-100 Torquay made the effort. GL in the next round....ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Jeff wrote:Just got back. Wasn't really a 5-0 game to be fair as Ricey has had to pull off a few good saves.
So pleased we have such an excellent keeper who seems to have recovered his previous great form, and players who can actually score goals. We've had our bad spell. The other top teams will fall away, and we'll get automatic promotion this season. Looking forward to taking six points off Bristol Rovers.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

overweight players, i assume you mean briscoe? i dont think anyone else in our squad is rotund, please elaborate . :clap: :rofl:
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Briscoe may be overweight, but there can be no doubt to his technical ability. Great footballer in my opinion.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Enjoy it Jeff !!
yeovilgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by yeovilgull »

Fortunately the McDonald injury doesn't sound too bad. Chris Hargreaves said they think its concussion so hopefully with a week to get him fit he will be ok for next week.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

i agree yellow, briscoe has been a very good signing, just need to know who all these oter fatties we have in our team are, sour grapes maybe. :rofl:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

yellowforever wrote:Briscoe may be overweight, but there can be no doubt to his technical ability. Great footballer in my opinion.
Does he eat at McDonalds..?? :~D
Tamargull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Tamargull »

Well done to Chris and the lads. Nice to hear that Rice had a good game and also good to hear that the lad at right back played well. A little concerned that we were sometimes overrun in midfield, a comment I have heard before - time to consider three across the middle?