Torquay.v.FC Halifax Tue 9th

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

forevertufc wrote:That's right Chris, they could be twins, so an easy mistake to make, to be honest I didn't see who it was and took a little bit of a guess as Ajala was often on that side, shouldn't have put a name to it. Hey we live and learn, or in my case, live and learn sod all.. :)
:rofl:

fair enough dave....... =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

A horrible night contributed to a very poor gate.

Playing against a howling wind I thought after 10 minutes if we can go in at half time 0-0 we will have done well.

However a lovely move involving the ever improving Toby Ajala and Ryan Bowman set up a goal for Ryan which he took well.

The second goal was purely down to Bowman who would not give up got to the bi line and pulled the ball back for Big Duane who had made up a lot of ground to be in the right place at the right time.

Martin Rice had a good game handling well in awful conditions.

Second half the Halifax keeper made 2 stunning saves first from Ajala and the second I think was Luke Young.

A battling effort by all the team. Young Levi Ives was again excellent. Very compact player with great balance.

Pearce was at fault for Halifax goal which led to a very nervous final 12 minutes but we held on. Up to 7th and 2 points off the play offs.

McQuilkin came in at RB for Berry who is injured and did OK.

Well done the lads.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Good win tonight in what must have been horrendous conditions at Plainmoor. Good to see Duane get on the scoresheet again and Martin Rice having a sound game. No comments on here about the ref so he must have been okay !! I see it was Richard Martin who, checking back, ref'd the Welling and Grimsby games. I don't remember much about the Welling game (it was a long time ago !) but I seem to remember him being a reasonably good ref for the Grimsby match so maybe he's one of the better Conference refs ?
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

A very good win tonight in terrible conditions. When the ball was kept down, we played some good stuff and a win is a win. Th crowd was poor tonight but the run of home games and Christmas is really biting now and the fixture clowns should be ashamed of themselves.

Well done to all those who got there. A win always makes the drive home more pleasurable.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

What a great goal the 1st was! Fantastic team play against some horrific conditions to play football in!

the 1400 crowd did their best to lift the team, hopefully most will return on boxing day!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

A pretty ghastly night for playing football (and anything else outdoors) but worth the travel as this was an important win.
Highlights for me: despite kicking the ball out for goal kicks at the other end in the second half as the wind carried the ball Rice made a number of vital saves before half-time.
Bowman's opener came as a result of a great passing move involving Ives and Ajala and not long after Bowman chased down a ball into the by line to square to O'Archie who greatfully side footed into the gaping goal.
Young had a great first 45 but after the restart Halifax crowded him out. Glennon in the Halifax goal tipped over two goal bound efforts from Ajala and Richards in quick succession.
A Pearce mistake leading to Halifax's goal led to a nervy finish but three welcome points.
The ref was certainly one of the better ones seen recently.
Are Halifax part-time as an earlier post states? If so how come they stayed two nights at The Grand before the game?
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

I was begging that we could make it to half time level. Two very nice goals in the first half we're more than welcome. Looks like Halifax's little side swapping stunt backfired.
Well done the lads for getting the points in such horrible conditions :clap:
To the dotted line, We're on our way
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

In answer to a comment about the ref being a good one because he didn't get much of a mention (there is a 'lowest common denominator' comment for you), he did have a reasonable game but was guilty of a very bad error when Young was clattered by a bad foul in the second half (I think he will have stud marks on his inner thigh as a memento - no, not that high up).

The ref called the foul and then was completely taken up with what to do about the defender (he must have thought for a while about brandishing a red). Young was clearly injured and could have been very badly so but by then a group of players had gathered round him and he continued to ignore the prostrate Young failing to wave on the physio. He finally booked the player and again did nothing about Young.

His first reaction should have been to clock the number of the defender, his second should have been to wave on help and then he could have sorted out what to do, very poor.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

At least the Ref was consistent. He stopped play when a Halifax player had to do up his boot laces and he stopped it again when Luke had to do up his laces !!! Is this a new rule ?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

To be fair the referee for last nights game was fine, agreed, he made a mistake in not sending off the Halifax player, and a few Halifax fans have said the same on their forum, but on the hole he was consistent, tried to the let the game flow in difficult conditions, if we can have referees who only make one mistake in a game every week, I wouldn't complain.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

I suspect if we failed to win, the ref wouldn't be getting these reasonable comments. He completly BAILED the red card that should have been given for the awful challenge on luke young. Anyway well done the lads on a good win. Well fought and 2 brilliant team goals with slick play
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Pretty decent performance in the conditions. Given the circumstances 1400 was a pretty creditable crowd I thought.
Rice actually did well for a change and when he doesn't drop any clangers we seem to win.
Just when it seemed that we would win at a canter we conceded our normal ridiculous goal - however I don't think we were hanging on at any stage and won quite comfortably in the end.
I thought the ref was as hopeless as the rest - after all the red cards we get the oppostion commit a far more dangerous foul than the rest of them and get away with it.
The key for me was Hargreaves decision to reinstall Ofori up front who looks a far better partner for Bowman than Briscoe.
In fact I thought Hargreaves should have withdrawn Briscoe far earlier than he did.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

brucie wrote:Pretty decent performance in the conditions. Given the circumstances 1400 was a pretty creditable crowd I thought.
Rice actually did well for a change and when he doesn't drop any clangers we seem to win.
Which is not to say that if we lose it's because Rice drops clangers (even if he occasionally drops the ball)! After all, many of our goals conceded have been the result of individual errors by other defensive players, yet they don't seem to attract the criticism the goalkeeper gets. Good to see a little encouragement here for Rice. The whole team might perform better and more consistently if we go to games and actually support our lads instead of, as a few 'supporters' do, whinge and moan and criticise all the time.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Any official highlights yet, can't find it on YouTube
Lucy