Torquay.v.FC Halifax Tue 9th

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Torquay.v.FC Halifax Tue 9th

Post by Dave »

Tuesday Night our club will play host to FC Halifax, this will be the first ever meeting between us and the club formerly known as Halifax Town A.F.C. Halifax Town formed in 1911 a club with a similar history to our own in some ways, Halifax Town would be a football league club for 72 years suffering relegation to the conference in 1993, after a few difficult seasons at their new level a rejuvenated Halifax Town returned to the football League as conference champions in 1997.

Life back in the football league was short lived for Halifax Town as they became the first club ever to suffer a second relegation out of the football league in 2001-02, the history of Halifax Town carries stark warnings not just for our club but for any club relegated from the football league, with the loss of income that comes with football league membership and mounting debts Halifax Town ceased to exist in 2008 and a new club was born under the name FC Halifax. FC Halifax started life in the Northern Premier Division one north, and after three promotions returned to the conference premier in 2012-13, with the help of two prolific strikers, Jamie Vardy and Lee Gregory.

FC Halifax's current form reads; D-L-L-L-W-W. Last time out, they gained an impressive 1.0 home win against FGR.

27 Glennon
15 Roberts
04 Roberts
06 Ainge
03 McManus
20 Maynard Booked
36 Hatfield Booked
08 Marshall
07 Smith (Schofield - 53' )
19 Boden (Jackson - 89' )
10 Dyer (Bolton - 65' )

From a Torquay point of view, I know of, no injury concerns, however Aaron Downes will be suspended now facing a four match ban for his second red card of the season. Saturday saw us beaten at home by run away conference leaders Barnet, after beating them at the Hive, I would class this as a disappointing result, were the goals avoidable, did our team deserve something out the game, can not answer that sadly, as I couldn't attend the game, will be back on the popside for this match.

Torquay's current from reads; D-D-L-W-D-L. Last time out our team lined up for the 1.2 home defeat by Barnet as follows.

01 Rice Booked
29 Berry
04 Downes Dismissed
05 Pearce
25 Ives
12 Chapell (Yeoman - 64' )
08 Young
16 Richards
10 Ajala
07 Briscoe (MacDonald - 44' Booked )
09 Bowman (Ofori-Acheampong - 49' )

Head to head between Torquay and Halifax Town shows, Torquay 25 wins Halifax Town 21 wins and 12 draws, no head to head between us and FC Halifax.

There's no doubt this match has taken on new importance for us, if we want to keep pace with the play-off contenders only a win will do. Travel advice for those home and away fans coming in from outside the bay, we all know the new South Devon link road is under construction from Penn Inn Newton Abbot to Torquay, however I can tell you the back road into Torquay is due to be closed for, four days from Monday, however I'm not sure if that's complete closure or if a diversion will be in place around the closed section , so allow extra travel time, as the main road could be busier than normal.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Thanks for the heads up about the St.Marychurch road being shut possibly. I'll jump off at the Teignmouth turning :)
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I know their installing a new junction from the St Marychurch road onto Aller Brake road, I don't know if we'll be able to go up Newtake Rise then along Twickenham Road and pick up the back road above the works, I live just a few yards away, so will have a scout around tomorrow and see.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Any help would be welcome, I'm working in Chester on Tuesday morning so hoping to get down there with the minimum of disruption :)

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Wrong about injury situation I'm afraid-Bowman,Pearce and MacDonald all took knocks on Saturday with Downes suspended for 4 matches and Hutchings injured as well,we face a real problem in defence.Not sure of the extent of Pearce and Macdonald's injuries;Bowman has dead leg.
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

forevertufc wrote:I know their installing a new junction from the St Marychurch road onto Aller Brake road, I don't know if we'll be able to go up Newtake Rise then along Twickenham Road and pick up the back road above the works, I live just a few yards away, so will have a scout around tomorrow and see.
Would be much appreciated, im going to be running later than usual so relying on this road to make it on time, if worst comes to the worst, surely we can battle to humps and bumps of the centrax back road onto st mary church?
To the dotted line, We're on our way
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thanks for helping me with injury news B-T-G wasn't at the game Saturday so wasn't sure on injuries and couldn't find much in the way of injury news, Halifax are a known hoof ball side , Downes will be huge miss, his strength is the ariel stuff, he wins them headers all day long, MacDonald particularly strong in that area as well, so hope he's fit, if not, it will have to be, because of his height Harding, surely.

DJ Gull, that's Long Lane I think your on about, I live in Milber as said, will definitely have a proper look around tonight, and post later with some up to date info.
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Perhaps we could try something revolutionary against Halifax and change from our rigid 4-2-4 - reasons for this:

- we consistently get crowded out in midfield where we have only two players
- our various wingers are under-performing - Cameron has been poor since coming back from injury, Chappell tries hard but cannot beat a man or send in meaningful crosses, Ajala looks promising but wanders around at times , is unaware of what is happening around him and has inconsistent ball-control
- crosses from wide men almost always go long - why? - we do not have a forward who is going to score with a bullet header, so we should be attacking with lower balls into the box, attacking the near post while the second striker covers the middle and the far post
- because we do not create enough from wide we were reduced to a long-ball game against a packed Barnet defence
- playing a third midfielder would release our most likely scorer, Luke Young, to get forward even more to support the frontmen

The Barnet game has gone, but we should learn from it and should give ourselves more opportunity to control and be composed...
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

forevertufc wrote:Thanks for helping me with injury news B-T-G wasn't at the game Saturday so wasn't sure on injuries and couldn't find much in the way of injury news, Halifax are a known hoof ball side , Downes will be huge miss, his strength is the ariel stuff, he wins them headers all day long, MacDonald particularly strong in that area as well, so hope he's fit, if not, it will have to be, because of his height Harding, surely.

DJ Gull, that's Long Lane I think your on about, I live in Milber as said, will definitely have a proper look around tonight, and post later with some up to date info.
Think Harding's still injured as well,so could be down to bare bones defensively.Cruse the only other option in central defence;Greavsie surely can't put Richards there again.
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

forevertufc wrote:Thanks for helping me with injury news B-T-G wasn't at the game Saturday so wasn't sure on injuries and couldn't find much in the way of injury news, Halifax are a known hoof ball side , Downes will be huge miss, his strength is the ariel stuff, he wins them headers all day long, MacDonald particularly strong in that area as well, so hope he's fit, if not, it will have to be, because of his height Harding, surely.

I Beleive so, runs along the top of the Buckland and Milber football pitch, Thanks Forever :-D
To the dotted line, We're on our way
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I shall be at Plainmoor tomorrow night.

Promises to be a rather special night if fans read the OS on the subject "Football Remembers"

Chris has to lift the team after a very poor run. Crucial that Pearce and Angus are fit to play. If Bowman is not fit I guess Big Duane will partner Briscoe up front. I would like to see Prynn on the bench.Does Courtney Richards need a rest. Done very well but fresh legs are needed in midfield and McQuilkin could get a game to show his ability over 90 minutes.

We do not have much strength in depth but we really need to win this one. Try and get to Plainmoor and back the team all the way.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Travel update There is a diversion in place, you can go up St Marychurch Road, turn left onto Newtake Rise, then right onto Twickenham Road, and pick up the back road at the end of Twickenham Road, however between 5pm to just after 6 pm the traffic was gridlocked going that way.

I, personally would go straight up Shaldon Road and turn right onto Twickenham Road before Centrax, you might experience some very minor delays at the junction leaving Twickenham Road as they moved lorries and plant equipment around, so if you can leave earlier I would.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Thanks for the travel advice Dave as St Marychurch Road is my normal route !
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

mine too ! Thanks
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
yeovilgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by yeovilgull »

forevertufc wrote:Travel update There is a diversion in place, you can go up St Marychurch Road, turn left onto Newtake Rise, then right onto Twickenham Road, and pick up the back road at the end of Twickenham Road, however between 5pm to just after 6 pm the traffic was gridlocked going that way.

I, personally would go straight up Shaldon Road and turn right onto Twickenham Road before Centrax, you might experience some very minor delays at the junction leaving Twickenham Road as they moved lorries and plant equipment around, so if you can leave earlier I would.
I got stuck on the Newton Abbot Byepass a few weeks back so for the Eastliegh game decided to turn off before Newton to Teignmouth then took the coast road which brings you into the right end of Torquay. Much quicker and may be worth trying for anyone outside the area.