Torquay.v. Barnet

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Just a couple of thoughts on the day after -
I don't think many would disagree that Barnet deserved the three points. However, Martin Rice wasn't called upon to make any difficult saves all afternoon whereas their keeper was forced into two very good saves - one from Bowman in the first half and a low save by the post from a shot from Ajala (I think) early in the second half. Had Aaron Downes stayed on the pitch, it may well have been a different result.

The other thought - a goalkeeper is perfectly entitled to choose which side of his goal to take goal kicks. It's frustrating because it gives them lots of opportunities to waste time. Personally, I think it's a ridiculous rule. I don't know when it was changed or why, but it always used to be the case that goal kicks were taken on the side of the goal the ball went out.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

For me it doesn't matter which side of the goal the goal-kick was taken as Stack wasted time from the 46th minute and he knew what he was doing. You only had to see how he booted the ball out of the ground in the dying minute when we were getting close to an equaliser.
The previous week's ref would have booked him enough to have sent him off!
Yes on the day we lost to the better side but the ref aided their win. I hope we never see Mr Huxtable again.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

Yes Nickbrod - totally agree. Most refs would have booked Stack for time wasting. He's an experienced 'keeper and continued to time-waste until he was booked which didn't happen of course. I just wanted to point out that he couldn't be accused of time-wasting when taking goal kicks from the other side of the goal.
Also agree re Brett Huxtable. A Devon ref shouldn't officiate at a Devon club. I'd suggest Durham Rangers (if there is a Durham Rangers) should be the nearest he gets to Plainmoor. Not that I've got anything against Durham.

Another thought - when we played at Barnet, we didn't play on the previous Saturday as we were already out of the FA Cup. Yesterday, they hadn't played last Tuesday, unlike us. Maybe explains why we had the edge at their place and they looked sharper yesterday.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not having a dig at any posters on here. Time wasting in football is a subject that really gets my goat, it's only ever a problem for any fan of any team when the opposition are doing it.

When leading 3.2 at Barnet, Martin Rice was wasting time, Durrell Berry was wasting time, and others, the ref did nothing and us TUFC fans didn't give a damn as it helped us to 3 pts, so, yesterday the boot was on the other foot and we cry foul, cut the hypocrisy.
Formerly known as forevertufc
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

As I didn't see the Barnet away match as not
in the country. I can only comment on what I saw on Saturday. Downes was 'duffed' up by Akinde from the first 50-50 and it looks as if Downes had had enough. This,though, is his weakness and confirms why this season is likely to be his last here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Barnet deserved the points? No, not a chance. Both teams should have received zero points and a note of admonishment on their permanent records. Torquay for being shit and Barnet for turning up expecting some sort of fight rather than a football match.

Martin Allen is an abortion of a man. Couldn't manage Chelsea to the Conference title without resorting to turning matches into niggly, horrible, scrappy foul-strewn affairs, utterly devoid of any talent. A proper referee would have sent off about 6 men yesterday and we'd have won comfortably. If he was all that good, he wouldn't be managing **** Barnet in the non-league for the fourth time. I hope his legs fall off.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
simona
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by simona »

Surely the issue with time wasting is not so much that it happens but consistency in how it's dealt with.

As someone has said, Rice was booked last week for much less than was going on yesterday. The "referee" yesterday also did not appear to issue any warnings or encourage Barnet to speed up and not enough time was added to compensate. I have no problem with Barnet time wasting and doing all they can to protect their lead - I would "expect" us to do the same. I do have a problem with officials who take absolutely no action and do not compensate enough.

I also have a problem with players who cannot read a game enough to know that they are being "tested" and then fail that test in catastrophic fashion.

Maybe we should however think ourselves lucky that MacDonald was not also the recipient of a red card thus leaving us with only one central defender for the next three games... how many points have hot heads cost us so far this season?

That's my one post for this quarter. I'll see you all when my next electricity bill lands.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

simona wrote:Surely the issue with time wasting is not so much that it happens but consistency in how it's dealt with.

As someone has said, Rice was booked last week for much less than was going on yesterday. The "referee" yesterday also did not appear to issue any warnings or encourage Barnet to speed up and not enough time was added to compensate. I have no problem with Barnet time wasting and doing all they can to protect their lead - I would "expect" us to do the same. I do have a problem with officials who take absolutely no action and do not compensate enough.

I also have a problem with players who cannot read a game enough to know that they are being "tested" and then fail that test in catastrophic fashion.

Maybe we should however think ourselves lucky that MacDonald was not also the recipient of a red card thus leaving us with only one central defender for the next three games... how many points have hot heads cost us so far this season?

That's my one post for this quarter. I'll see you all when my next electricity bill lands.
That's a good, well reasoned post, Simona. Why not pay your electric bills monthly so that you can come on here more often ?? :whistle:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed Simona, but as said we were doing the self same thing up at Barnet and the referee was doing nothing to speed us up either, and that's my point, time wasting or slowing the game down if you like is a tactic used by so many teams, whether it's youth, local, semi pro and full professional football teams in a tight game everyone does it.

If we're beating Halifax 1.0 with 10 minutes to go, do I want to see our Torquay team start time wasting, hell yes, that's exactly what I want them to do, and if our team does how many of us TUFC fans will complain , exactly, none of us will. On a separate point, we can complain about Martin Allen's tactics , but if he was our manager last season we'd now be looking forward to a Christmas double header v Plymouth in League 2, we can complain about Martin Allen's tactics all we like, his Barnet side are clear at the top of the conference will also most certainly win the league and be playing in League 2 next season, we're in 10th and going backwards, I know who I'd rather have as our manager right now, and wish we'd stop being just so gord damn nice here at TQ1.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

forevertufc wrote:Agreed Simona, but as said we were doing the self same thing up at Barnet and the referee was doing nothing to speed us up either, and that's my point, time wasting or slowing the game down if you like is a tactic used by so many teams, whether it's youth, local, semi pro and full professional football teams in a tight game everyone does it.

If we're beating Halifax 1.0 with 10 minutes to go, do I want to see our Torquay team start time wasting, hell yes, that's exactly what I want them to do, and if our team does how many of us TUFC fans will complain , exactly, none of us will. On a separate point, we can complain about Martin Allen's tactics , but if he was our manager last season we'd now be looking forward to a Christmas double header v Plymouth in League 2, we can complain about Martin Allen's tactics all we like, his Barnet side are clear at the top of the conference will also most certainly win the league and be playing in League 2 next season, we're in 10th and going backwards, I know who I'd rather have as our manager right now, and wish we'd stop being just so gord damn nice here at TQ1.
Your quite right Forever what spectators don't realize is that, keepers thrive on time wasting they love winding the crowd up. This is their living and if you get more money for winning, you would take your time if you were ahead. I've done it myself, it was our fought for getting into that situation.
When was the last time we were winning the last five minutes. :keepie:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Indeed, goalkeepers have a great habit of time wasting in the most subtle way, most don't even notice it. How many times in a tight game do you see a goalkeeper take the most simple straight forward catch yet feel the need to perform dynamic leg roll and ground the ball, a sweet 50 seconds taken out of the game, for something they didn't need to do.. :whistle: :)
ethantufcbaker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Dan Sparkes

Post by ethantufcbaker »

BARNET have highlights up before us
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

ethantufcbaker wrote:

BARNET have highlights up before us
I'm pretty sure I saw the highlights on Gullsplayer on Tuesday. Whether they were up before that I do not know.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

hector wrote: I'm pretty sure I saw the highlights on Gullsplayer on Tuesday. Whether they were up before that I do not know.
watch from 1.50 interesting to see Downes seems to through his arms back towards Akinde, don't think there is a headbutt there
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Must admit after seeing that I am a bit disappointed with Downes' sending off. Looks like he just tries to shrug off Akinde who is holding him. Not sure if he even touches his face. At the time I thought he must have done something serious but I think we may have been a bit hard done by there.