Dover.v.Torquay Tue 2nd

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

[quote="SuperNickyWroe"]three f**kin centre halfs on the pitch and we cant defend a corner!

:goodpost:
Last edited by Gloomy Gull on 02 Dec 2014, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:three f**kin centre halfs on the pitch and we cant defend a corner! :@
Should we be putting 3 players on the pitch if they are all of the same type.?. isnt that asking for confusion in the ranks
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Glostergull wrote: Should we be putting 3 players on the pitch if they are all of the same type.?. isnt that asking for confusion in the ranks
no.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

well i give it to you supes. decisive in nothing else. lol

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Seriously isn't difficult to organise to defend a corner. Defender on each post, bank of three defenders across the six yard line , anything from the goal line to six yard line tell your keeper to go and get it, anything from the six yard line out, one of the bank of three defenders go and get a good head on it, and then follow out as a unit.
Last edited by Dave on 02 Dec 2014, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Disgraceful defending all round against corners and set pieces. Needs someone like Paul Buckle to coach the players..
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Glostergull »

Wow is that really our old toddy singing. shame about his production crew. with better sound it would be a good record

No It's not.!
Last edited by Glostergull on 02 Dec 2014, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

Arelbee
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Arelbee »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: no.
To be fair he was praised on Saturday for doing exactly the same when it worked......
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

This scenario is just getting silly now. I'll stand by Ricey all day long as i genuinely think he has a lot of love for Torquay and a passion for the game, he just hasnt got the ability to be our number one keeper. Surely Hargreaves can see this and will be grovelling for even a smidgen of investment to try and get a keeper in?
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Another frustrating performance to listen to. We need to put a few wins together but keep throwing away leads game after game. There is talent in the squad but no backbone when under the cosh. A goalkeeper with no command of his box doesn't help, and you could feel that goal coming a mile off as we couldn't clear the ball. 2 points thrown away in the final minute.

No idea what the commentary team were playing at. Spent the whole first half talking about Paul Buckle and who he is there watching, when he was there to watch Dover, who his Cheltenham team are playing this weekend. More annoying through was the lack of emotion, no matter what happened. 4 goals and after each one it was about 15 seconds after you think something has happened until they confirm whether it's a goal or not. Steve Breed is at the other extreme, but when the ball is in the box you know the ball is in the box from his voice, and there's either a cheer or a groan for a goal. I have no idea what happened in the game today despite listening to 90 minutes of their commentary.

Another really tough game on Saturday, and if we don't win that then we'll lose more ground.

There's obviously no money left in the kitty but we really need a new keeper. Luke Young is the only saleable asset, but we can't afford to lose him as he is our entire attacking play. Offer Ajala a new contract now and start planning for next season when we can get rid of Tonge, Benyon and others and get new guys in.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Won't comment on the game as I couldn't listen to it tonight, but interesting that we have conceeded from a set peice.

Will just say that I noticed on Saturday we don't put anyone on the posts for corners. Even if it prevents a couple of goals surely it's worth it?
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Chris Hargreaves, Lee Hodges and Kenny Veysey should read an article by Gary Neville in last Saturdays Daily Telegraph. It is superbly written and it applies to TUFC at this moment in time.

Correction they should read it 100 times!!! Then they should ensure the whole squad read it every single day in the hope it may sink in.

What is going on!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The disappointment continues . . . . . .
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

The problem is obvious. Every team has us sussed. Thats the problem. None of the players has any confidence in the keeper. Just need to get the ball in the six yard box. Actually would have preferred to have seen another big bloke in Ofori on rather than a Danny Stevens clone when the opposition was intent on getting the ball into the box.
They had four corners in injury time and the keeper hasn't got near any of them. Its just pointless blaming the centre halves - they havn't got a hope with Rice in goal.
The keeper when jumping with his hands in the air should be the main line of defence in the six yard box. Rice just stands on his line and leaves it to his defenders. That just isn't good enough.
He has now probably cost us 15 points this season. We could be top of the league if we had a goalkeeper.
We had Bowman bollocking him for continually kicking the ball into touch. He cannot kick the ball properly. He comes running out of his goal when he cannot get the ball causing chaos amonst his defenders. Then he doesn't come off his line when the ball is in the six yard box.
Really he is an unmitiagted disaster who is in the process of ruining any chance of a promotion challenge.
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

Listenend on the radio - hardly heard a Torquay player named in the second half.

Part-timers who literally had nothing to threaten us with. 80 minute conceding goals again and then throwing it away in the 93rd minute. Absolutely shocking - can't defend a lead and Bowman can't score unless there is an empty net in front of him.

Gutted, fed up listening and seeing the same old Torquay - no doubt Hargreaves will say that they were a good solid side and a point was a good result. I see it different. In front twice again and 2 points lost.

This and similar results will cost us success this season. We should be able to break-down sides like this and defend a lead! God knows we have enough experience. Can't help thinking though the problem is more midfield as I can't tell you how many times I heard Downes name mentioned! Says it all.

Glad I never travelled!
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!