Torquay.v.Eastleigh

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

How much is the fine for five bookings ?
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Neal wrote:Well done lads. Now I'm really looking forward to Dover. Anyone else on here going? And where to go for a pint before the game?
I'll be there. According to football ground guide if it isn't segregated then theres a bar at the ground or a pub called the cricketers by the lower pitch.

As for the game today I thought we played well despite the ref deciding that anything we did was a foul. Looking forward to Dover on Tuesday night expecting a tough game as they are in form at the moment.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

We played well for 60minutes and I then thought when is Chris going to put McDonald on and he put him on in the right place. We stabilised again and Brisco made a brilliant run and shot for Bowman to nod in the rebound. The back four did ok today Ives was outstanding in the first half and was seldom troubled second. Thought his inexperience showed when he came off the post in the first half on a corner but I like what I see and hope he signs.
Any supporter that did not bother today missed another great game. :keepie:
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

First match I've watched for 3 months having been away in Australia and New Zealand. A good win but we made hard work of it. Bowman, as a striker, should have done better inside the first 45 seconds but lacked composure and easily should have had a hat-trick by half-time. Ajala's strike to give us the lead came after a great flowing move.
After that Easleigh began to run the midfield and we had to rely on our back four to keep us in the game. Ives did particularly well on two occasions.
For much of the second half we defended deep and looked like the away team but Briscoe's excellent winning of the ball and subsequent shot led to Bowman finally getting on the score sheet.
How we had five bookings remains a mystery and the visitors only one defies explanation as they were a very physical side especially in the second half.
Just shows that paying all those wages does not guarantee success.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Good all-round performance today. Chappell showed us what we had been missing from Cameron and the defence for once hardly put a foot wrong so that the feared attack of Constable, Midson and Fleetwood hardly had a sniff.

Thought the manager made the right move bring on Mc Donald for Chappell as Eastleigh gained control of midfield and going 4141. If only we had done the same in the last two home games we would probably have held on for wins instead of draws.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
eastmoorgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Stubbs

Post by eastmoorgull »

Made the 460 mile round trip worthwhile. Chappell for me what immense and made a huge difference to the midfield.; deserved his standing ovation.

Good substitutions and first time I've seen Ives - looks a good un.
IlshamSchmilsham
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Welsh

Post by IlshamSchmilsham »

Missed the game because of an unavoidable prior commitment, but delighted to hear the score line on returning home. I have felt for some time that most teams in this league are capable of beating one another on a routine basis, and that it's perm any two from twelve for the promotion slots. Barnet may still have a healthy lead, but they are by no means so much better than the rest as to make that lead unassailable. The lesson, I think, is don't get too carried away when we string a few wins together, and don't be over-critical when we slip up (even against so-called mediocre sides). This is a mediocre league, albeit an entertaining one (which makes a change). We remain in the promotion race and will, I believe, do so for the remainder of the season, but don't expect a seamlessly smooth ride!

Dave
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Let's not go too overboard about Ricey's performance. He made two saves in the match, neither of them anything other than totally routine. He was perfectly acceptable, and it's not his fault that Eastleigh could still be playing now and not have scored, but shall we save the bunting and dancing girls for when he actually has something to do during a match?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I wasn't there but have read the reports above. I'm getting some general feedback that we were pretty good for periods but so were Eastleigh. Our midfield got overrun again for periods? Defence inc Rice was excellent and our forwards should have scored more. Is that a fair assessment?
TUST MEMBER
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Wasn't there either but from the reports and the commentary we didn't actually give away too many chances in the second half. Key moment in the second half was when they hit the bar and we scored just afterwards.
We did seem to defend better perhaps.
I am wondering whether we should play three cente halves against Dover and use Berry and Ives as wing backs.
They are on a good run of form but having played so many games of late it might be a big ask to go there and play our normal high tempo game.
Might be a good time to grind out a result.
gurneygibbs23
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: jean pierre simb

Post by gurneygibbs23 »

Any highlights up yet?
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

ferrarilover wrote:Let's not go too overboard about Ricey's performance. He made two saves in the match, neither of them anything other than totally routine. He was perfectly acceptable, and it's not his fault that Eastleigh could still be playing now and not have scored, but shall we save the bunting and dancing girls for when he actually has something to do during a match?

Matt.
Do you still think you can run faster than Ives with your Levi's on. :keepie:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Depends who's looking to give him a slap ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Neal wrote:I wasn't there but have read the reports above. I'm getting some general feedback that we were pretty good for periods but so were Eastleigh. Our midfield got overrun again for periods? Defence inc Rice was excellent and our forwards should have scored more. Is that a fair assessment?

Glad someone's said that, I felt the same. Had Eastleigh's shooting been a bit more accurate it could have been another one of "those games." Ricey hasn't become Gordon Banks over night but I think I only saw him hesitate once so credit where it's due a clean sheet is a clean sheet. To me it was the attitude that was different, just watched the Barnet highlights again and we just kept going and it was the same this Sat.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

brucie wrote:Wasn't there either but from the reports and the commentary we didn't actually give away too many chances in the second half. Key moment in the second half was when they hit the bar and we scored just afterwards.
We did seem to defend better perhaps.
I am wondering whether we should play three cente halves against Dover and use Berry and Ives as wing backs.
They are on a good run of form but having played so many games of late it might be a big ask to go there and play our normal high tempo game.
Might be a good time to grind out a result.
A good point, Brucie - Cyril's team played the same in 88, as did Hodges team, 10 years later in 98.

Who would you drop? Chapell? Richards?

I would personally keep Richards as the anchor of a 3 man midfield to allow Young to go forward and Ajala to do his thing. Perhaps...

Berry MacDonald Pearce Downes Ives

Richards
Young Ajala

Bowman Briscoe