Torquay.v.Eastleigh

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

brucie wrote:Actually a really good win. Thought we might struggle today.
just about to say that myself brucie........

commo's saying that the gulls have been solid today and not really given them a chance.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:great strike from briscoe, well saved, follow up and finish by bowman........ :bow: :clap:

briscoe seems to have lasted the 90minutes today.............
Substitution, Torquay United. James McQuilkin replaces Louis Briscoe........

I'll take that back! :rofl:

FT 2-0

WELL DONE LADS!!!!! :bow: :clap:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I did have my concerns but we pulled it off. Eastleigh are no pushovers and have plenty of league experience in their line up. They have spent loads but we have showed that when we are on form we can compete with the best of them.
This season should have been nothing more than consolidation and rebuilding but if we can compere this season and finish reasonably well up the table then CH will have done really well.
I suspect he will be able to offload the high earners at the end of the season. He has no doubt spotted four or five good players to keep tabs on with the hope of getting them in close season.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Massive result
Clean sheet but a sea of yellows...
Patience needed this season more than ever
Expected a larger gate today to savour the 3 points
Well done
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Couldn't make the game today, got to say great result and more importantly a clean sheet, well done all.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

what a bummer. commo on radio devon has gone off
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Excellent result, in the end!

I'm hoarse, fans backed the team throughout, Rice had a very good game.

any comments about the ref today? Mine would be unprintable.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Disappointingly low crowd but understandable

Hargreaves shored up the midfield late on this week and it made the difference.

Bowman should have scored 2 before HT

Standard James Constable tactics who along with a couple of Eastleigh players really tried to get our players sent off

Ref - The worst i have seen at plainmoor this season - already a major achievement - nonsense bookings for our players and took no action against constables rugby challenge on Young and then booked Pearce after he was pushed over off the ball. It really was diabolical.

Glad the lads hung on, should give some confidence back in the dressing room :scarf: :scarf:
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:Disappointingly low crowd but understandable

Hargreaves shored up the midfield late on this week and it made the difference.

Bowman should have scored 2 before HT

Standard James Constable tactics who along with a couple of Eastleigh players really tried to get our players sent off

Ref - The worst i have seen at plainmoor this season - already a major achievement - nonsense bookings for our players and took no action against constables rugby challenge on Young and then booked Pearce after he was pushed over off the ball. It really was diabolical.

Glad the lads hung on, should give some confidence back in the dressing room :scarf: :scarf:
There was also an off the ball deliberate kick on Briscoe in the first 15/20 which if Briscoe had made more of the ref should have sent their guy off. It wasn't overly nasty but the rules would state its a red.

Bowman missed two gilt edged chance or the game could have been safe at half time and for all their possession once they got into scoring positions they fell apart. Bit of a scrappy performance in truth but a much needed clean sheet. Interesting that CH went 4/1/4/1 near the end with McDonald playing defensive midfield.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

It did appear from the commentary that the referee was totally against us. Eastleigh have spent ludicrous amounts of money on not very good players. Midson hasn't scored since September and Constable although a handful is quite a limited player really.
Having said that probably our best win of the season - given that they have won four out of the last five and didn't play in the week.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

well done MARTIN RICE, good solid game today, we are all quick to come on and have a go at him, well praise where its due, good result against a big spending club..onwards and upwards! :scarf:
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Well done lads. Now I'm really looking forward to Dover. Anyone else on here going? And where to go for a pint before the game?
TUST MEMBER
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

The Torquay players were tremendous today. The style of football was great to watch. Well done Greavsie !
Also well done to Nick who won the crossbar challenge with his first attempt !
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Neal wrote:Well done lads. Now I'm really looking forward to Dover. Anyone else on here going? And where to go for a pint before the game?
I'll be there......providing the Dartford Bridge isn't too painful. I understand the ground is a little remote from the town and might be devoid of places to drink.
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

A very pleasing performance today against strong opposition. It was arguably the best all round performance I have seen this season. We carved out some decent chances through good build up play and just as importantly looked solid today. It's been a long time since I've witnessed a home win with a clean sheet. Sponsors MOTM going to a commanding performance by Downes who won so many important headers in defence, Twitter MOTM going to Ajala who was our most dangerous offensive player today by some distance. Crowd a worrying 1,862 with around 100 from Eastleigh in the Bristow Bench.

The game was barely 30 seconds old when Bowman found himself clean through with just the keeper to beat. Bowman struck the ball at a good height for the keeper to parry out and it was a big chance missed. But 5 minutes later Bowman fed the ball to Ajala on the left just outside the penalty box who cut inside and beat a defender and let rip with a strong low shot that beat their keeper in the far corner. Eastleigh did have good spells of pressure in the first half and Ives had to make 2 crucial last ditch tackles to prevent clear chances for Eastleigh in the penalty box. Richards was careless in possession at times but our defence was holding strong. Rice had his best performance for a long time and showed some good decisive action in dealing with danger - on 1 occasion he raced outside his box to clear which is most unlike Rice normally. But Torquay created the clearer chances in the first half and Bowman near half-time was through on goal again at close range with the keeper to beat and had a lot of the goal to aim at. Sadly Bowman badly miscued his shot horribly and the ball went wide.

The second half went in a similiar fashion. Eastleigh had some good pressure but Torquay were handling it well and also had their dangerous moments. Briscoe put a dangerous low cross in from the right but Bowman got a touch to the ball with Ajala about to pull the trigger behind him and the chance went begging. Rice pulled off a diving save low down to his left. As the half wore on Eastleigh were cranking up the pressure. The turning point of the match was when a header crashed off the Torquay crossbar. At times it was a case of all hands on deck and all Torquay players were putting in a great shift in keeping out Eastleigh. MacDonald came on for the lively Chappel to shore things up at the back. I thought Chappel in his first match back from injury looked lively today on the right wing and it was just a shame his final ball was often wasted. Then on 86 minutes Briscoe robbed the ball off a Eastleigh player just inside their half on the right and raced towards goal. Briscoe unleashed a powerful shot that the keeper parried the ball into the air to a waiting Bowman who nodded into an empty net. The referee did not help Torquay's cause during the match by booking no less than 5 Torquay players for such trivial matters and yet let off Eastleigh players for more serious offences.

So it was a game that Torquay's back 4 finally looked solid throughout the match with Rice taking good command of his area. There was none of those horrible mix ups today. Ives and Berry seem decent full-backs, it's good to see full-backs who can defend and are mobile going forward. I thought Richards and Young by his very high standards were not at their best today. Young's shooting did not have the usual accuracy. Ajala was brilliant on the ball typically beating players, scored a great goal and tracked back and won some great tackles. Bowman's finishing was poor but worked hard in holding the ball up front. Briscoe had his dangerous moments and was brilliant creating Torquay's second goal late on which proved those supporters wrong who doubted his fitness to last a match. Both Torquay's goal today were quality and I look forward to seeing them on video.