Macclesfield Town v Torquay United Tuesday 25 November 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Macclesfield Town v Torquay United Tuesday 25 November 2014

Post by Gullscorer »

Macclesfield Town v Torquay United, Tuesday 25 November 2014, k.o. 7:45 pm.

The Gulls have an opportunity to take a step nearer to the play-offs Tuesday evening when we visit Macclesfield, and we’ll still have two games in hand on the leaders.

Seven other games are being played, including Bristol Rovers v Barnet, Grimsby v Woking, and Kidderminster v Wrexham. Of the top twelve teams, only Gateshead, Forest Green, Eastleigh, and Halifax are without games.

We are in tenth place, with 32 points from 20 games. Macclesfield are in fourth place with 36 points from 21 games. Macclesfield are unbeaten in their last eight Conference games, and they are due for a defeat.

Which is not to say that victory for us, or even a draw, will be easy. Much will depend on how determined we are to get that win and to overcome the occasional shortcomings to which we have been vulnerable.

Macclesfield have the best defence in the top twelve, having conceded only16 goals. We’ve conceded 28, the worst defence in the top twelve alongside Gateshead.

On the other hand, they’ve scored only 26 goals, the second worst attack in the top twelve. (Their top scorer is Fairhurst on 7 goals). We’ve scored 38, a record beaten only by Barnet on 49.

Last time out, Macclesfield beat Alfreton 2-0 at home. Their team in that game was: Taylor, Halls (Grant – 53’), Barrow, Hogan (booked), Pilkington, Turnbull, Whitaker (booked), Moke, Fairhurst, Barnes-Homer, Holroyd. Substitutes: Lavelle-Moore, Branagan, Thomas, Grant, Bailey.

The weather forecast for the game is chilly but mainly dry. This preview from Macclesfield's official club website: http://www.mtfc.co.uk/news/article/scot ... 01853.aspx

I think a draw here would be a good result, but if we can avoid any defensive errors and play a good passing game, then a win is certainly a possibility. And we have almost a fully fit squad to choose from:
http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 02763.aspx

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

They have an excellent home record and excellent defensive record as well. At home they have only conceded 6 goals in 11 games. The bright side is that they dont seem to score that many either. The first goal in this game will be really important imo.

The team are more than capable of winning on the night but I think a point would be a good result as well.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Ironically the bookies (bet 365 for instance) have us favourites. They have Macclesfield 2-1 for win and us 13-10. That's crazy .
Lucy
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Best of luck lads lets have a win! :keepie:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Another tough match in the November series of tough games. Macclesfield have been a surprise package this season because I seem to remember they were in financial difficulties last season and the players weren't paid for a week or two (a la Exeter !). But they seem to have turned it around and are going well ...... so far. A draw would be good - a win better !
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

lucy6lucy wrote:Ironically the bookies (bet 365 for instance) have us favourites. They have Macclesfield 2-1 for win and us 13-10. That's crazy .
Wow that is slightly bizarre, I'd take a draw 0-0 ideally (sorry for anyone going!)

We have to get back to being defensively sound and stop giving silly goals away.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Greavsie is doing a very good job and I am enjoying the fact that our players can score goals and play with flair and ability. I really look forward to watching our games. Krystian is getting his mojo back and I think Courts ( as in Cameron ) is starting to shine again . Cruisey played well on Saturday and Ryan was fantastic. Luke deserves to be our Captain because he never gives up and showed such amazing determination for our last gasp equaliser. Altogether, I'm loving our team and am very proud to be a Torquay Fan.

p.s. I actually do work on the checkouts at Tesco !!!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes the odds for this one do seem quite bizarre considering that Macclesfield are unbeaten at home, are fourth in the league,are unbeaten for eight games and we have one win in god knows how many games.

Looking at the odds there is no real value anywhere though - presumably the bookies think that they punching above their weight and we are under achieving.

We need some wins under our belt though so really need to win one here - but personally can't see it.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

we are bound to win tonight because im not going........ :@

was planning to make the hr or so trip over the hills, until i realised at 3pm that im on call tonight :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

ives playing
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Is anyone playing. No update on BBC r main site.sos
Lucy
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

chosen men..........

01 Rice
29 Berry
05 Pearce
04 Downes
25 Ives
11 Cameron
16 Richards
08 Young
10 Ajala
09 Bowman
07 Briscoe
Substitutes
17 Benyon
21 MacDonald
22 McQuilkin
23 Seabright
24 Ofori-Acheampong
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

only change from saturday is Ives for Cruise

bench is Seabright MacDonald Oarchie Benyon and McGerkin
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

lets hope the young lad is up to the task tonight! expecting a tough game, the usual heap of goals, hopefully more in their net than ours, but think we'll lose 2-1
still keeping the faith