Macclesfield Town v Torquay United Tuesday 25 November 2014

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote: Will be reunited with Shaun North if its true.
It is true. He has been announced as their new manager.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Quite surprising really,given what happened at Bristol Rovers and Luton.Wonder why he wanted to come back from good job,lifestyle,and partner in USA?
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote:Quite surprising really,given what happened at Bristol Rovers and Luton.Wonder why he wanted to come back from good job,lifestyle,and partner in USA?
What happened at Luton? In the short time he was there, before resigning to join his wife in the USA, he kept them challenging for promotion and took them on a great FA Cup run. Bristol Rovers notwithstanding (and I would not lay the blame there entirely on Buckle's shoulders, far from it), and whatever the personal criticisms many people have made, he has proved himself to be an extremely competent manager and coach.
http://www.metropolitanoval.org/news/
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

A Realist wrote:It is true. He has been announced as their new manager.
Not a surprise to me. Spoke to their Chairman when we played up there in the JPT in Buck's last season when Danny Stevens ran the show and he said we were lucky to have such a talented young manager and would have offered him a job had he been available then.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Until this club gets a football person to give guidance to Tae Bristow the club will make mistakes, Chris
has done ok but there is no father figure that Buckle had and someone to say no that's a waste of money or that's a bargain. :keepie:
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

arcadia wrote:Until this club gets a football person to give guidance to Tae Bristow the club will make mistakes, Chris
has done ok but there is no father figure that Buckle had and someone to say no that's a waste of money or that's a bargain. :keepie:
Yes, because Buckle was saved from wasting money all the time. Thank god otherwise he might have signed useless dross like iyseden Christie or Jody banim. And of course thank god that mentor helped to get some quality players in for a bargain, like Mo Camera.

Have a think before you post, man!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

why are we talking about that weasel?
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Kit_robin wrote: Yes, because Buckle was saved from wasting money all the time. Thank god otherwise he might have signed useless dross like iyseden Christie or Jody banim. And of course thank god that mentor helped to get some quality players in for a bargain, like Mo Camera.

Have a think before you post, man!
You will always have one or two slip the net but not a team like last year! :keepie:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Scott Brehaut wrote:It's not just giving away cheap goals though. Our strike force seem to need several shots on goal before we score too. We need to be tighter at the back, but also more prolific up front.
Why don't we just sign one of those strikers that scores with every shot he takes? Oh yeah, that's right...

We're the second highest scorers in the division, behind a Barnet side who seem to play Telford every week, what more can we do?

Scored three away from home a few weeks ago, only for Rice to chuck in at least that number. We're fine going forward. Yeah, compared with Sanchez at Arsenal, Bowman does piss away chances, but compared with <name of ordinary Conference striker>, he's pretty good.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Well said Matt; to say the second highest scorers in the division need to be more prolific is churlish at best. It's obvious where our problems lie, and that's defending our own net.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

ferrarilover wrote: Why don't we just sign one of those strikers that scores with every shot he takes? Oh yeah, that's right...

We're the second highest scorers in the division, behind a Barnet side who seem to play Telford every week, what more can we do?

Scored three away from home a few weeks ago, only for Rice to chuck in at least that number. We're fine going forward. Yeah, compared with Sanchez at Arsenal, Bowman does piss away chances, but compared with <name of ordinary Conference striker>, he's pretty good.

Matt.
You know better than anyone that Chris must be tearing his hair out because of the problem area. :keepie:
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

ferrarilover wrote: Why don't we just sign one of those strikers that scores with every shot he takes? Oh yeah, that's right...

Matt.
My point being, and clearly this was lost on you, that it would appear that if we did put away more of our chances, we could allow for the odd mistake (though not ideal) at the back.

If we are affording strikers the odd off day then why not our keeper? Or does he have to save EVERYTHING that comes his way - I can point you to any number of Premiership keepers that also have off days (to continue your example)

I'm not saying our strikers are shit - compared to last year they are the best thing since sliced bread - but how many games have we missed numerous chances and then lost by the odd goal by a team that has one shot on target all game.

That, Matt, was my point. Scoring one goal in ten shots is fine if we have a similar return the other end of the field, but it seems that other teams need three shots and will score a goal.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

Worrying how much Young carries this team. Best player going forward and getting back on Tuesday. Our season pretty much hinges on if he plays well. Can't help but think Cameron needs to be dropped. Hasn't offered anything for a while now. Also seems like Richards hasn't recovered since he was thrown under a bus at Alfreton. Like many have said, we've got a young squad and confidence/momentum is a bigger thing for us than for most other teams. Was hoping Barnet would be a turning point as such but apparently not. Briscoe is frustrating... A really good player when he's on the ball and causes plenty of problems but can only last until 60 minutes in. As for Benyon, Christ. Talk about flogging a dead horse. What does Yeoman need to do to get a game? Or is he out on loan to Truro/Bideford/any other Devon team again? On the plus side, Berry is a really good player. Do we have him permanently now? Hope he's not just playing well to put himself in the shop window.

Good performers:
Young
Berry
Downes
Ajala

All in all, if I had to guess where we'd finish this season, I'd say just outside the play-offs. Enough about us to win most games but not good enough to close out 1 goal leads.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Know where Scott's coming from. I think it's fair to say we all know where the problem lies, but, there's no quick fix. We don't have the players in the squad to play the Martin Ling way, so how to do find a balance between attack and defence when the quality isn't there across the whole squad.

One answer for me, play to your strengths, which for us is clearly free flowing attacking football, because despite some individual good defensive performances our team does not defend well as a unit, so if we sit back and try and to protect the back four I think we'd lose momentum up the other end of the field , and most likely still concede, think I'd rather see our team win 4.3 than lose 1.0 trying to pretend we can defend and keep the ball out of net.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

forevertufc wrote:Know where Scott's coming from. I think it's fair to say we all know where the problem lies, but, there's no quick fix. We don't have the players in the squad to play the Martin Ling way, so how to do find a balance between attack and defence when the quality isn't there across the whole squad.

One answer for me, play to your strengths, which for us is clearly free flowing attacking football, because despite some individual good defensive performances our team does not defend well as a unit, so if we sit back and try and to protect the back four I think we'd lose momentum up the other end of the field , and most likely still concede, think I'd rather see our team win 4.3 than lose 1.0 trying to pretend we can defend and keep the ball out of net.
You forget Martyn Ling was an experience manager he made a Keeper his priority he had centre halves
and he had someone to hold the ball up. If we had his keeper we would not be where we are now. I could not spell his name and Matt might be on. :keepie: