Torquay United v Gateshead - Saturday 22nd November

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

StretfordGull wrote:We can't defend a lead because we can't retain possession to even the most basic level. Let's go 1-0 down in every game and try to keep it like that until the last 10 minutes then go for it. Seems like the best thing to do. I think im right.
i dont.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Total absolute disaster!!!!!! In every way!!!!!!
TUST MEMBER
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Neal wrote:Total absolute disaster!!!!!! In every way!!!!!!
not quite.

we didnt lose 2-1
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Drove from Basingstoke this morning. Parked car in Ellacombe, got out, car says keys still in car, could I f@cking find them could I f@ck. Had everything out on the pavement, now well pissed off, spent 30mins looking and gave up at 2.55 and drove off. The only saving grace is that my car doesn't lock (unlike Audi's) with the key inside. So missed a very entertaining game by all counts. That's my lot for home games until next year!
TUST MEMBER
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Neal wrote:Drove from Basingstoke this morning. Parked car in Ellacombe, got out, car says keys still in car, could I f@cking find them could I f@ck. Had everything out on the pavement, now well pissed off, spent 30mins looking and gave up at 2.55 and drove off. The only saving grace is that my car doesn't lock (unlike Audi's) with the key inside. So missed a very entertaining game by all counts. That's my lot for home games until next year!
thats a sickner mate. :(

TUST Member 468

njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

The games are much more exciting this season than the last few. So that's nice. But excitement only gets you so far. 2nd-most goals scored in the division (having played fewer games than most everyone) yet we keep slipping further down the table. 2 months without a clean sheet? Madness.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Too wasteful in possession today cost us, good spirit to come back and nearly win it

standard brucie crap on this thread - not even at the game
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Neal wrote:Drove from Basingstoke this morning. Parked car in Ellacombe, got out, car says keys still in car, could I f@cking find them could I f@ck. Had everything out on the pavement, now well pissed off, spent 30mins looking and gave up at 2.55 and drove off. The only saving grace is that my car doesn't lock (unlike Audi's) with the key inside. So missed a very entertaining game by all counts. That's my lot for home games until next year!
Gutter, sorry to hear that mate
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Perhaps CH should take some advice from this forum,,,,,,,,

Neal seems quiet good in KEY areas
Phipsy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nico

Post by Phipsy »

Main thing today was as last week, being over run in midfield.
Richards and Cameron are just not cutting it. It's almost like playing with 9 men.
Gateshead must be cursing their luck, a good footballing side.
Possession for them must have been about 80% to 20%.
Credit to the lads to fight back but mid table looks inevitable this season.
The new lad was an improvement on Richards but having only played two matches for Hednesford this season naturally lacks match fitness.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

Gateshead were the better side over the piece though both teams had some good chances. From where I was sitting (and about 5 players seemed to agree with me) there has been another farcical refereeing decision which would have had a massive impact on the game. I would like some clarity on the rule about a clear goalscoring chance because If Bowman's for the penalty is not a clear chance then F**k knows what is. It surely must have been a red card and as it was only 5 or so mins into the game, they should have played with 10 for the vast majority of it. I accept that referee's have a difficult job but to me, that was as basic as it gets. Would be interested to hear the views of others at the game.

Sadly their goals were down to mistakes again with the second one being so obvious to see what was going to happen. Really poor defending. To come back and get a point though is not the worst result and the positives, to an extent, is that that is another tough game out the way without losing. To have played them, FG and Barnet recently and go unbeaten is a sign that all is not too bad.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Firstly Gateshead are a decent side make no mistake.

In the second half they played well with Pattinson their stand out player. The key moment was Downes tackle in the box but I noticed Downes talking to the referee and to me it was not intentional.

Terrible defending for the 2nd goal. You could see what was going to happen and it did!

I like Richards but he is very inexperienced and it shows time and time again.

Still we have the nucleus of a very good side.Berry was excellent again. We need a bit more muscle in midfield. Cameron was poor.

We go to Macclesfield Tuesday and Eastleigh at Plainmoor next Saturday.We need a bit more steel in midfield. Otherwise lots of promise.
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

I was disappointed with today's performance and Torquay were very lucky to get away with a point. I did not like Torquay's ultra defensive line up today especially in the second half. It was very Ling like and it was unlikely Torquay could hold out. Torquay rode their luck so much in the second half and it was so predictable when Gateshead finally equalized and then took the lead. Luckily only a goalkeeping mistake saved our blushes and rescued a point. I thought today Hargreaves made the wrong decisions and handed the initiative to Gateshead. There were one or two outstanding peformances today for Torquay today, most notably Bowman in attack. Poor old Bowman in the second half even had to do a Rene Howe job as he was so isolated up front - but he did a manful job. Sponsors MOTM Briscoe, twitter MOTM Bowman, crowd a disappointing 1,947 with 50 from Gateshead.

The first half had very few clear chances and there were 2 notable taliking points. On 8 minutes after a threaded Luke Young pass to Bowman in the penalty box, Bowman turned and beat the defender magnificently who then chopped down Bowman. It was an obvious penalty and the defender, who was the last defender, was very lucky to stay on the pitch. Bowman himself chipped the keeper confidently from the penalty spot to put Torquay 1-0 up. Most of the first half was played in midfield and Torquay were generally containing Gateshead who were neat in their build up. I thought Bowman and Briscoe formed a good partnership in attack and both had their dangerous moments but our wingers Ajala and especially Cameron were disappointing and generally gave away possession. I was amazed Hargreaves did not switch Cameron and Ajala to their preferred wings, left and right respectively. Downes and Pearce were a tower of strength in the middle of defence and Berry was outstanding at right back and covered very well at times from potentially dangerous situations. It was like Torquay were playing like the away side, trying to contain Gateshead and catch them on the counter. Gateshead had several dangerous looking set pieces and from one free-kick Rice saved very well low down to his left. Rice saved even better from the rebound and when Gateshead finally put the ball into the net at the third attempt, it was ruled out for offside.

The second half opened up more in terms of chances, Ajala had a decent run and shot from outside the box that was well saved. The new boy McQuilkin replaced for the disappointing Cameron who it has to be said did very little right all afternoon on the right wing. McQuilkin is pretty short and slightly built so I am concerned what he may offer in the physical side of the game. He generally showed neat ball control and played the simple short pass but is he what we need in midfield? With Briscoe moving to the right wing, this only left Bowman in attack. It was a question if Torquay could stifle Gateshead and win 1-0. Gateshead hit the post and scored the rebound but again it was ruled out for off-side. Torquay were seriously riding their luck and Gateshead were playing well and well on top. With 5 minutes to go Downes tripped their player in the box and Gateshead were awarded a penalty which they dispatched. Then worse was to follow. A free-kick was glanced in with Rice rooted to his line and stood and watched the ball go in. Out poured Gulls fans in the Bristow Bench (where I was sat today) and disaster loomed. In truth Gateshead fully deserved their lead and Torquay had ridden their luck for too long. Then in added time a Luke Young low shot from outside the box was badly fumbled by Bartlett, Bowman pounced and rescued Torquay. In the fifth minute of added time, Young amazingly nearly won it for Torquay with a free-kick special from about 30 yards out. Bartlett got his body behind it but sadly Torquay could not get to the rebound and the ball was cleared.

So a strange game in which Torquay appeared to set out to contain Gateshead to protect their 1-0 lead and were not their normal attacking self. It was pretty dull stuff to watch from a Torquay perspective for most of the game and it was only a fortunate last gasp goalkeeping mistake that prevented Torquay from deservedly losing.
Last edited by Swanny on 22 Nov 2014, 19:44, edited 4 times in total.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

How were we not playing against 10 men?

What denotes a goal scoring opportunity if Bowmans doesn't?

Also what has happened to Cameron?

Very poor today didn't get into the game at all and looked disinterested!

Would have liked to see Benyon on at 70 odd mins to keep some presure on the Gateshead defence, With Martin Rice pumping the ball out of play we invited them on and you knew they would score!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

On reflection, a point was the least Gateshead deserved. They were a decent side, good on the ball but seemed to lack in front of goal. Saying that, they had two goals disallowed and hit the post twice.

Torquay weren't awful but Bowman was isolated up front but to his credit, he worked hard and held the ball up well but too often had nobody to support him.

The Gateshead goal was somewhat inevitable, although it came at a time when you felt we had weathered the worst of what they had to throw at us, but once they equalised, I said to my mate, 'They will get a 2nd in a minute,' - just as FGR did last week, two goals conceded in quick succession, which we almost did at Barnet as well. The team need to be a bit more resilient, especially when they concede as they appear to be vulnerable when defending a lead.

Credit, though, to Torquay for coming back - I didn't think they would and they nearly won it in the end. A decent point probably, as Gateshead were possibly the best team I have seen at Plainmoor this season.