Torquay United v Gateshead - Saturday 22nd November

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

[quote="brucie"]
Then Hargreaves masterstroke is to bring on a midget who has managed two games for the mighty Hednesford all season.

I'm going to drive over to Chris Hargreaves's (being a taxi driver, I obviously know where everybody lives) & persuade him to open a Bigger Better Player Fund. Brucie can then make a 'sizeable' donation with all the money he's saving by staying at home :admission price if he didn't renew his season ticket (can't be bothered to trawl through his posts to find out); fuel money; saving on vehicle wear & tear;& mostly from all the winnings he's made from his amazingly accurate predictions about our performances & results. Then I'll drive over to your house Brucie & collect it ! ;-)
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its brilliant actually - I have saved £150 in the past week by not going to the last two home games. By most peoples standards (including mine) thats a fair sum of money.
Now I will freely admit that around 1 pm with the sun shining its tempting to jump in the car and drive down. That takes no effort at all.
Its the drive back that gets me though and the frustration of chucking away yet more points.
Its far less stressful to listen to the game with the a cup of coffee as you more or less know whats going to happen.
I note the comments on here about Briscoe not being able to last the game. Thats obvious to most people though - because he is overweight.
Following on from that though - if he becomes a passenger in the last quarter of the game the blindingly obvious course of action is to take him off and bring on someone with fresh legs (like Ofori for example) who can cause the oppostion some problems.
Gateshead used their three subs yesterday in an effort to change the game as they were losing. Hargreaves on the other hand stands around like a rabbit trapped in the headlights and does absolutely nothing leaving tired players on the pitch.
That isn't good management in my book.
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

I do think Brucie makes some valid points. It's all well and good Hargreaves blaming individual errors for us not winning yesterday but I think that is only deflecting blame from his own poor decisions yesterday. Let's face it, you could probably analyze virtually all goals a team concedes, and blame someone.

The truth is that particularly in the second half I was sat there pretty depressed because I could not for the life of me see us holding out at 1-0 by just playing stifling tactics - we desperately needed some outlets to relieve the pressure. Cameron and Ajala all game were played on their unfavoured wings so they could not go on the outside but instead constantly came inside - why were they not swapped at all? It does not seem a good decision to send Thompson out on loan when we had no wingers available to go on the bench?

I agree a tiring Briscoe should have been replaced like-for-like in attack bearing in mind we had 2 strikers on the bench. I was sat on Bristow Bench quite near the home dug-out and after the McQuilkin substitute, there was an awful lot of confusion among the players as to who was playing where. Richards in particular kept going over to Hargreaves to ask where he was supposed to be playing. I am not convinced McQuilkin offered us much when he came on except a few tidy short passes - I can't see him winning many tackles like Young or Richards or cover like Lathrope used to.

I thought we looked quite a mess in the second half and Gateshead should have ran out comfortable winners but for the post saving us on 2 occasions. I don't think we have the players or keeper to shut up shop like Ling could in his first season.Hargreaves did not utilize our obvious attacking strengths and we no longer had a backup winger - and that's the responsibilty of the manager to get right. The players themselves gave 100% and cannot be faulted.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

brucie wrote:Basically Hector - Plainmoor Turd spouts the same old drivel time and time again. Face facts we have won precisely ONE game in god knows how many. We talk like Forest Green,Gateshead and the like are something special. They are tin pot teams,the same as us, and we cannot beat anyone. It will be the same old story next week against Eastleigh (another massive team - not)
I turned on the radio at 4.20pm listened to the game and my first post predicted that Gateshead were going to score. Two minutes later they did - I didn't need to be there. Its bleeding obvious what is going to happen.
Bristow has got ability but he needs to get down the gym and lay off the pies. What good is a player that can last about 55 minutes?
Rice - switched the radio on and he was consistently booting the ball into touch and then compounded that by booting the ball straight to the opposition goalkeeper. Constantly squandering position when the obvious thing to do was to try and find a team mate. Lets be fair - if brains were dynamite Rice wouldn't have enough to blow his cap off.
Then Hargreaves masterstroke is to bring on a midget who has managed two games for the mighty Hednesford all season.
And you wonder why we didn't win.
And what is the point of making subs with half a minute left - its ridiculous.
There are ten teams in the division who are better than us - because the league table says so. That isn't good enough by any stretch of the imagination.
Firstly, are you referring to a fellow poster, when you mention 'Plainmoor Turd'? Is that really necessary? Whilst it pains me, as much as you, to see how far we have fallen and are now 2nd best to the likes of FGR and Gateshead, that's actually where we sit in the scheme of things now. I don't suppose Fulham and Bolton Wanderers, in recent years, imagined they would be playing 2nd fiddle to the likes of Bournemouth and Brentford, or Pompey imagined they would be struggling in a division that contains Accrington Stanley and Newport County.

We are, where we are, for a whole variety of reasons. The club doesn't have much money; they are still paying the considerable wages of pointless players, like your mate Benyon, Tonge, Harding etc and a young team has been cheaply assembled by Hargreaves - fairly well, in my view. We have a rookie manager, managing, on the whole, rookie players and we are doing better than most of us imagined we would be after the last couple of seasons we have endured. The football played is good to watch, we score goals and the team hints at promise. How this may pan out if Young leaves, I do not know, I really fear for us then, but at the moment, I think there is more to feel hopeful for, than for the last couple of years.

You slate Hargreaves for bringing on the new signing McQuilken, but as you were not there, you would not have noticed how out of sorts Cameron seemed. Who else was he to bring on? O'Achie perhaps, or heaven forbid, Benyon? Like it or not, Gateshead are a decent team and one that has developed over the last couple of years. Our team has been together for little over 3 months. McQuilken looked ok, small, tidy on the ball - not in Young's class but a reasonable enough squad player. He did nothing wrong, so you cannot condemn his introduction because, you were not there to witness, his perfectly adequate cameo.

We lack the personnel to play the Ling style but then Hargreaves has been criticised for being too gung-ho in the past. It didn't take a genius to work out Gateshead would score, so don't congratulate yourself too heartily for that, nor that they would get a 2nd but at least our team showed some character by grabbing an equaliser and almost winning it. Most thought the game lost, hence the immediate stream of people leaving the ground, once Gateshead took the lead (and there is a lesson why people are foolish to leave games early, they wouldn't do it with a film at the cinema).

Rice kicked the ball to the opposition goaly once, and out of touch perhaps once. He did nothing wrong yesterday. I'm not really a fan and would prefer to see a Olejnik or even a Bevan in goal, but don't you think Hargreaves would as well? What can he do, if he is told there is no money for a new keeper, new centre-half, and extra forward because all of Knill's signings are taking up the playing budget?

You have saved yourself £150, and I don't blame you and this is the folly of the club's strategy - how many £150s have they lost recently? The gate was under 2000 (party, I suspect because there are so many home games coming up - people cannot afford them all) but it won't creep back over that if the team fails to convince. However, FGR, Gateshead, Eastleigh and Barnet, are some of the tougher teams we will face, with bigger budgets. Tinpot teams, they may be, but then so are we and there is little we can do about it.
Last edited by hector on 23 Nov 2014, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Well said Hector.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

:goodpost: well said hector , lets all save £150 and stop going and watch the club go down the pan, yes that really helps, as for this season the team maybe fustrating to watch at times but its been good to watch for most of the time and far better than the dross fed to us by knilly last season, CH has done well on a small budget . there will be mistakes made by him and the players and its a learning process which im sure will get better, support your club or lose it.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

people like brucie are not fans of Torquay United.

His opinion on matters relating to TUFC, on a TUFC fans forum mean nothing.

Reveling in a position of missing games and the enjoyment of trying to seem like the 'predictor' of conceding goals etc is very sad.

I was there last Saturday and yesterday, paid my money, gave my support to the lads and i'll be there this coming Saturday.
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
StretfordGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by StretfordGull »

Good post from Hector there.
I really don't see the point in us being told that someone didn't go to the game. It's not impressive.
I'd love to go to every game and would if I lived in the area, because that's what's going to help the club.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

forevertufc wrote: Yes arcadia I do believe that and I'll tell you why; Not claiming to be a big shot, but as stated I've seen quite a few sessions run by Kenny Veysey, I fully admit I do not know Kenny personally however do know KV by sight, every now and again I bump into Kenny, he's top bloke by the way, and he always says hello and stops for a very, very quick chat.

I asked him once about small keepers and how so many very good technical young keepers can not make it in the game because of footballs obsession with 6ft 2 inch keepers, Kenny's response was; you might be about to see this change, KV said a lot of modern managers prefer to have big tall centre backs and ask their keepers to stop back on the line and let the C/B'S deal with the high stuff, I believe Paul Buckle actually admitted he instructed the 6ft 6in Scott Bevan to stick on his line , kind of all the proof you need.

Not saying CH has gone down this route, but it would make sense as Ricey is not the tallest keeper about, it's just thought.
Hi, Forever your right. I know that keepers are told to stay on their line but usually it's from crosses from wide areas not balls that are knocked down the keepers throat which are straight at him. Ken was a good keeper and I've managed sides against Torquay when he's played. If Ken is telling Rice this then as
an experienced keeper I would say he's making Rice look a bad keeper as my instincts as a keeper would take me forward to the ball to get a punch or catch on the ball. Rice has got to move his feet whilst the ball is in the air to do this.
I am not saying your wrong but I would like to find out if this is the case. :keepie:
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Well Im enjoying this season. Well bar this SATURDAY and my wasted journey. Now recovered after throwing a wobbly in Ellacombe, hope no one saw me :)

This is our level at the moment, and I would rather watch what Ive seen this season than the absolute dross served up by Lings last season and Knill. Gee we are scoring goals and the football generally has been better. Im looking forward to going to Dover, more so than looking forward to say a Southend in league 2. I don't know why really but I enjoyed the 2 conference years last time as well.

The team is not the best in the league, and you can improve it of course you can, IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY!!!! WE DONT!

I still believe we are conceding because of the midfiled. We have a light weight midfield which consists on the whole of good players at this level, but we don't have an enforcer, like a CH. But a good one of those isn't going to be cheap unfortunately, even at this level.

I enjoy going to a game of football, having a pint, a pie, good atmosphere (which is mostly better at away games) and being entertained, nd with a good prospect of winning or a high scoring draw.
TUST MEMBER
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Neal wrote:Well Im enjoying this season. Well bar this SATURDAY and my wasted journey. Now recovered after throwing a wobbly in Ellacombe, hope no one saw me :)

This is our level at the moment, and I would rather watch what Ive seen this season than the absolute dross served up by Lings last season and Knill. Gee we are scoring goals and the football generally has been better. Im looking forward to going to Dover, more so than looking forward to say a Southend in league 2. I don't know why really but I enjoyed the 2 conference years last time as well.

The team is not the best in the league, and you can improve it of course you can, IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY!!!! WE DONT!

I still believe we are conceding because of the midfiled. We have a light weight midfield which consists on the whole of good players at this level, but we don't have an enforcer, like a CH. But a good one of those isn't going to be cheap unfortunately, even at this level.

I enjoy going to a game of football, having a pint, a pie, good atmosphere (which is mostly better at away games) and being entertained, nd with a good prospect of winning or a high scoring draw.

fair play to you neal.

and glad you've got over your car "experience"................... :-/ :)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

SuperNickyWroe wrote:
fair play to you neal.

and glad you've got over your car "experience"................... :-/ :)
I was going to say the same so fair play to you! :keepie:
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

PlainmoorRoar wrote:people like brucie are not fans of Torquay United.

His opinion on matters relating to TUFC, on a TUFC fans forum mean nothing.

Reveling in a position of missing games and the enjoyment of trying to seem like the 'predictor' of conceding goals etc is very sad.

I was there last Saturday and yesterday, paid my money, gave my support to the lads and i'll be there this coming Saturday.
Very good point. I live in Wigan, 2 of my customers are Gateshead fans, so I decided to travel in my car with them , stay over and give my money to Torquay. I wont be going Macclesfield because it was either Gateshead or Macclesfield. I would rather Torquay get the gate money than Macclesfield, even though Macclesfield are 35 miles away. Top night as well
Lucy
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

seems to me that certain people only come on here to have a go at the club and put them and the players and manager down at every oppurtunity, its seems you cant come up with anything positive for fu--s sake, ive supported this club through the dave webb era, now that was ten times worse than this, that was park football at best.
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

I watched the match yesterday and thought the only people doing a good job on the pitch were the groundsmen.