Torquay United v Gateshead - Saturday 22nd November

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Also, credit to Martin Rice. He pulled off a couple of outstanding saves today.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

It was yes an entertaining game again, a bit to for my liking I'd sooner win. Forgetting the referee who should be banned for not employing the rules of the game in the first ten minutes. I would like to bring to attention how similar the games have been the last two weeks and at the same time of the game.
Briscoe at his age should be able to last a game, Cameron, Richards and Ajala were out of it, tired after 60 minutes.
I am not knocking how they played because Ajala gave what I thought was unbelievable work rate for 60 minutes and then ran out of steam no substitutions were made until it was to late.

Ajala is doing to much unnecessary running and burning himself out he needs to pick the times he presses the opposition as it's no good him doing it and the rest of the team is back on the half way line they've got to do it as a team as he ends up doing doggies between players. Bristoes a good player but needs to get fitter. Cameron needs a bomb up his ass as he's got ability but we don't see enough of it.
Hargreaves is using Ajala to protect Cruise and it's to much for the lad to be sprinting 60yards every five minutes.
The team needs to be fitter as that's two games we've just ran out of steam. Were these players in bed last night at 10pm or out drinking as I would like to make sure they were in their beds on their own!

Rice made some good saves but the cross in the first half he waited on his line and because it carried
without a touch on it he caught it. He should have attacked the cross a similar situation to last week but he got away with it this week.
Today we could have done with Lathrope to sit in front of the back four as we had no idea the last ten minutes. :keepie:
Luke nearly did it again though.
Last edited by arcadia on 22 Nov 2014, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

As already stated could not make the game today and the next game for me is likely to be the Tuesday 9th v Halifax, not a situation I'm happy about, but trust me it can not be helped, so thanks all for the match reports certainly sounded like an incredible end to the game.

One thing I would like to add regards some of my recent posts, there's nothing wrong at all levelling criticism with a team or an individual performance, I just felt things were getting way out of hand regards Martin Rice, and while we're on that subject, Ricey isn't the tallest keeper around, and it could be worthwhile remembering that Chris Hargreaves may well have instructed Martin Rice to stop back on his line and let defenders deal with the high stuff, just a thought, as some managers prefer their keepers to do just that.
Formerly known as forevertufc
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

forevertufc wrote:As already stated could not make the game today and the next game for me is likely to be the Tuesday 9th v Halifax, not a situation I'm happy about, but trust me it can not be helped, so thanks all for the match reports certainly sounded like an incredible end to the game.

One thing I would like to add regards some of my recent posts, there's nothing wrong at all levelling criticism with a team or an individual performance, I just felt things were getting way out of hand regards Martin Rice, and while we're on that subject, Ricey isn't the tallest keeper around, and it could be worthwhile remembering that Chris Hargreaves may well have instructed Martin Rice to stop back on his line and let defenders deal with the high stuff, just a thought, as some managers prefer their keepers to do just that.
I've been saying that for weeks. It must be coaching instructions and is usually used for teams who use the zonal marking system. In fact I think you'll find in general that keepers coming for everything is becoming a thing of the past.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Standard Plaimoor Turd garbage - blaming the referee again - idiot.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

brucie wrote:Standard Plaimoor Turd garbage - blaming the referee again - idiot.
Not sure what this analysis brings from someone who wasn't there. It wasn't that we were awful at all. We played a decent side, and whilst, a draw at home to Gateshead, when we are TUFC, maybe is no big shakes, we are where we are, and they are probably a better team than us, as painful, as that may be but that is how it is. Gateshead deserved at least a point, so whilst blowing a lead is disappointing, so did Gateshead.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

A Realist wrote:I've been saying that for weeks. It must be coaching instructions and is usually used for teams who use the zonal marking system. In fact I think you'll find in general that keepers coming for everything is becoming a thing of the past.
Do you really believe that Chris is telling Rice to stay on his line after last weeks mess, we were lucky not to let in another goal the same as last week and we are not zone marking as players are moving with their markers. :keepie: Their keeper showed Rice how it should have been done in the second half.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

hector wrote: Not sure what this analysis brings from someone who wasn't there. It wasn't that we were awful at all. We played a decent side, and whilst, a draw at home to Gateshead, when we are TUFC, maybe is no big shakes, we are where we are, and they are probably a better team than us, as painful, as that may be but that is how it is. Gateshead deserved at least a point, so whilst blowing a lead is disappointing, so did Gateshead.
:goodpost: :goodpost:
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Basically Hector - Plainmoor Turd spouts the same old drivel time and time again. Face facts we have won precisely ONE game in god knows how many. We talk like Forest Green,Gateshead and the like are something special. They are tin pot teams,the same as us, and we cannot beat anyone. It will be the same old story next week against Eastleigh (another massive team - not)
I turned on the radio at 4.20pm listened to the game and my first post predicted that Gateshead were going to score. Two minutes later they did - I didn't need to be there. Its bleeding obvious what is going to happen.
Bristow has got ability but he needs to get down the gym and lay off the pies. What good is a player that can last about 55 minutes?
Rice - switched the radio on and he was consistently booting the ball into touch and then compounded that by booting the ball straight to the opposition goalkeeper. Constantly squandering position when the obvious thing to do was to try and find a team mate. Lets be fair - if brains were dynamite Rice wouldn't have enough to blow his cap off.
Then Hargreaves masterstroke is to bring on a midget who has managed two games for the mighty Hednesford all season.
And you wonder why we didn't win.
And what is the point of making subs with half a minute left - its ridiculous.
There are ten teams in the division who are better than us - because the league table says so. That isn't good enough by any stretch of the imagination.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular

Post by A Realist »

arcadia wrote: Do you really believe that Chris is telling Rice to stay on his line after last weeks mess, we were lucky not to let in another goal the same as last week and we are not zone marking as players are moving with their markers. :keepie: Their keeper showed Rice how it should have been done in the second half.
I think its possible he is being told to hold his line. I'm not saying Torquay are using zonal, I meant that most teams that play that system have the keeper on the line. For most of the season fans have been saying that Rice doesn't dominate his box, even when the team was going through that great run. Which to me is realistically one of two things. The first is he's being told to do it and the second option is that he's totally lacking in confidence. Some would say my description of the second one is being kind :)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Arcadia's summing up of the game is spot on. As against Forest Green last week, we were overrun in midfield in the last 20 minutes because Cameron, Ajala, Richards and Briscoe were knackered. We all know what Cameron is capable of so it's disappointing that he isn't delivering this season. Richards seems to have lost his fizz since the early matches although I thought he was harshly booked in the first half which could have meant he was holding back on his tackles. Briscoe is a good player for about 60 minutes. Come the last 10 minutes, he was barely walking. Ajala is trying to do too much. As Arcadia says, he needs to learn to pace himself. He will be better next season after he's got a full season under his belt. He's an exciting prospect.

Like last week, it was disappointing not to hold on for 3 points but in the end we were fortunate to get a point. Whatever Brucie says about Gateshead or Forest Green, both will be 'in the mix' at the end of the season and Gateshead look like a side who would be more than capable of holding their own in Div 2.

A word about the ref. By the laws of the game, he probably should have sent off their defender as he was the last man but personally I don't like to see such sendings off. Other than that, I thought he refereed the game sensibly - one of the better refs this season.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

Brucie needs a dose of realism .........................Utter plank....
I know he loves winding people up but jeez time and again he spouts his crap when he wasn't even at the game ! We are in the FIFTH tier of professional football in this country what do you expect these players to be capable of ? The average age of this team is 23 !! No experience but a lot of players who are putting their all into their game and doing the best they can and learning along the way.

AAAARRRRGGGHHH I would like to say more but its late and I MAY regret typing what I would really like to say !!!!

:@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

OllieGull wrote:Don't really want to make a thread for it, but just found this ahaha: http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/q ... story.html

Well that was an absulute load of tosh. Only thing I identified with was hobbies. all the others were so way out it wasn't true
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Glostergull wrote: Well that was an absulute load of tosh. Only thing I identified with was hobbies. all the others were so way out it wasn't true
Is it possible to watch nigh on 6 hours of TV a day? Add that to the 7 hours a day online and that doesnt leave much time for anything else.
Must admit, I have been to Lidl a couple of times (only because you can get real german bratties and bockies there).
Last edited by Sunnysideup on 23 Nov 2014, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

arcadia wrote: Do you really believe that Chris is telling Rice to stay on his line after last weeks mess, we were lucky not to let in another goal the same as last week and we are not zone marking as players are moving with their markers. :keepie: Their keeper showed Rice how it should have been done in the second half.
Yes arcadia I do believe that and I'll tell you why; Not claiming to be a big shot, but as stated I've seen quite a few sessions run by Kenny Veysey, I fully admit I do not know Kenny personally however do know KV by sight, every now and again I bump into Kenny, he's top bloke by the way, and he always says hello and stops for a very, very quick chat.

I asked him once about small keepers and how so many very good technical young keepers can not make it in the game because of footballs obsession with 6ft 2 inch keepers, Kenny's response was; you might be about to see this change, KV said a lot of modern managers prefer to have big tall centre backs and ask their keepers to stop back on the line and let the C/B'S deal with the high stuff, I believe Paul Buckle actually admitted he instructed the 6ft 6in Scott Bevan to stick on his line , kind of all the proof you need.

Not saying CH has gone down this route, but it would make sense as Ricey is not the tallest keeper about, it's just thought.
Formerly known as forevertufc