Torquay United v Gateshead - Saturday 22nd November

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

ROADRUNNER wrote:seems to me that certain people only come on here to have a go at the club and put them and the players and manager down at every oppurtunity, its seems you cant come up with anything positive for fu--s sake, ive supported this club through the dave webb era, now that was ten times worse than this, that was park football at best.
Yes I expect you were inventing the computer so we could have a moan, it's good to read opinions. :keepie:
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

I think a few posters are being a bit harsh on here. What do you all expect? Us to blow away title contenders 3-0 every week with a novice manager, tiny budget and players like we have at our disposal? Get real.

We have a young team with some very talented players who could have excellent careers both here and beyond. Gateshead are a good side who hammered us 4-1 on the opening day of the season.

Yesterday's performance had plenty of encouraging displays. In Ajala, Bowman, Young and Briscoe we have some of the best attacking players in the division. Yes we are a bit lightweight in midfield, yes we tend to give away sloppy goals but this side will only get better, as will the manager.

I'm confident we will be in the playoffs come May, which is about as much as any of us can hope for.

On to Macclesfield on Tuesday, where we have a real chance of 3 points.

COYY
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Swanny wrote:I do think Brucie makes some valid points. It's all well and good Hargreaves blaming individual errors for us not winning yesterday but I think that is only deflecting blame from his own poor decisions yesterday. Let's face it, you could probably analyze virtually all goals a team concedes, and blame someone.

The truth is that particularly in the second half I was sat there pretty depressed because I could not for the life of me see us holding out at 1-0 by just playing stifling tactics - we desperately needed some outlets to relieve the pressure. Cameron and Ajala all game were played on their unfavoured wings so they could not go on the outside but instead constantly came inside - why were they not swapped at all? It does not seem a good decision to send Thompson out on loan when we had no wingers available to go on the bench?

I agree a tiring Briscoe should have been replaced like-for-like in attack bearing in mind we had 2 strikers on the bench. I was sat on Bristow Bench quite near the home dug-out and after the McQuilkin substitute, there was an awful lot of confusion among the players as to who was playing where. Richards in particular kept going over to Hargreaves to ask where he was supposed to be playing. I am not convinced McQuilkin offered us much when he came on except a few tidy short passes - I can't see him winning many tackles like Young or Richards or cover like Lathrope used to.

I thought we looked quite a mess in the second half and Gateshead should have ran out comfortable winners but for the post saving us on 2 occasions. I don't think we have the players or keeper to shut up shop like Ling could in his first season.Hargreaves did not utilize our obvious attacking strengths and we no longer had a backup winger - and that's the responsibilty of the manager to get right. The players themselves gave 100% and cannot be faulted.
Benyon could have done the wide job as he used to play there and Ajala was kept on the left because Cruise can't cope on his own and Ajala's pace gets him back but he was burnt out the last half hour. I don't think Chris knew what to do but once we scored the equaliser he'd already decided to make the changes and they went a head with them after we had scored. :keepie:
There is not another player that can do the job that Briscoe does that's why he was left on the pitch.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

drummergull90 wrote:I think a few posters are being a bit harsh on here. What do you all expect? Us to blow away title contenders 3-0 every week with a novice manager, tiny budget and players like we have at our disposal? Get real.

We have a young team with some very talented players who could have excellent careers both here and beyond. Gateshead are a good side who hammered us 4-1 on the opening day of the season.

Yesterday's performance had plenty of encouraging displays. In Ajala, Bowman, Young and Briscoe we have some of the best attacking players in the division. Yes we are a bit lightweight in midfield, yes we tend to give away sloppy goals but this side will only get better, as will the manager.

I'm confident we will be in the playoffs come May, which is about as much as any of us can hope for.

On to Macclesfield on Tuesday, where we have a real chance of 3 points.

COYY
We lost 3-1 not 4-1 :lol:
Lucy
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Hector - PT is now referred to as that because he reminds me of a bad smell (something like a piece of shit on my shoe that I cannot get rid of).
Have a look at my previous posts and the "Turd" will float to the surface and post some ridiculous retort. I have been called an idiot - Apparently I am not a proper supporter etc etc etc. Really tiresome -I have ignored it for ages but have decided to give a bit back (so to speak)
If it is true that Luke Young is leaving and McGerkin has been signed to replace him I am afraid that won't do anything to persuade the "floating" supporter to return.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:Hector - PT is now referred to as that because he reminds me of a bad smell (something like a piece of sh*t on my shoe that I cannot get rid of).
Have a look at my previous posts and the "Turd" will float to the surface and post some ridiculous retort. I have been called an idiot - Apparently I am not a proper supporter etc etc etc. Really tiresome -I have ignored it for ages but have decided to give a bit back (so to speak)
If it is true that Luke Young is leaving and McGerkin has been signed to replace him I am afraid that won't do anything to persuade the "floating" supporter to return.
It's obvious to most fans that McQuilkin has been brought in because we are woefully short of midfield cover now that Josh Wakefield has gone back to Bournemouth. Nothing whatsoever to do with the possibility of Luke Young leaving after Christmas. I don't know how much football Mc Quilkin has played this season but I think that any fair minded fan, especially those who were actually at the match yesterday, would be prepared to give the lad a chance and not resort to calling him stupid names.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

tomogull wrote: It's obvious to most fans that McQuilkin has been brought in because we are woefully short of midfield cover now that Josh Wakefield has gone back to Bournemouth. Nothing whatsoever to do with the possibility of Luke Young leaving after Christmas. I don't know how much football Mc Quilkin has played this season but I think that any fair minded fan, especially those who were actually at the match yesterday, would be prepared to give the lad a chance and not resort to calling him stupid names.
:goodpost: :goodpost:
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

brucie wrote:Hector - PT is now referred to as that because he reminds me of a bad smell (something like a piece of sh*t on my shoe that I cannot get rid of).
I think it is unnecessary to refer to him in that way and as pointed out to you, McQuilken is probably cover for midfield, although, I suspect if Young does leave, there won't be much in terms of a replacement. Hopefully, CH is considering potential targets that he could acquire should LY go. There must be candidates if one considers that Gutherie of FGR came from Welling.

The floating fan, will indeed, have less and less reasons to attend, if Young goes and is not adequately replaced. For some fans to suggest supporters deprive the club of money by not attending, is like saying that, that actual money belongs to the club, rather than it being hard-earned cash that belongs to supporters to choose how they spend. The less that £20+ is in terms of value for money, the less people will spend it, particularly in hard-pressed times. The club cannot rely on people coming out of a sense of loyalty/duty. They need to provide a reason to attend.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Sorry were you referring to the floating turd or Jock McGerkin (or whatever his name is). No disrespect to him but really he is a less than enthralling signing in my book. Apparently according to Hargreaves aftermatch interview McGerkin isn't being paid at all and is just here "to get his career back on track" which seems quite bizarre in my book.
You are right about the floating fan though. My view on what I have seen so far is that we still have a squad of players who should be more than capable of challenging for the play offs.
Five points out of Barnet,FGR, and Gateshead of course isn't a disgrace by any means. However when you look at our appalling record in the half dozen games before that and it makes one win out of ten or something then it doesn't look so good.
The abyssmal fixture list (in which we now seem to play at home every week isn't helping either) - add that to money being tight,our indifferent form in a bloody awful league,xmas coming up, the cold weather, and its not hard to see why the crowds are going to suffer.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

brucie wrote:Apparently according to Hargreaves aftermatch interview McGerkin isn't being paid at all and is just here "to get his career back on track" which seems quite bizarre in my book.
Makes perfect sense to me - in fact it's a win - win situation for us really.

If he's rubbish, we've paid nothing, we lose nothing and he disappears. If he turns out to be an excellent player, we get him for free for a few games, then sign him up on a contract (possibly a similar deal to Berry) and every one is a winner.

Can't see the issue myself.

I also note that you are continuing to comment on player performances at games you've not been at. Whilst that is, of course, your right, it does make you look somewhat two faced when you've pulled up other people about doing this in the past....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

McQuerkin is the wrong kind of midfielder we need as an alternative to young and Richards. To be fair to the lad he worked his socks off and at times did really well if he's being paid or not is not our problem. I felt at that stage of the game we needed a holding midfielder and with Young and Richards going forward McQuerkin was not the answer to our problems. Every one wants an attacking team but at some stage of a game you've got to defend and if you have not got the options your in trouble. My opinion is Briscoe and Richards need to get fitter to last a game out. When Briscoe has tired we've lost control of the last two games. He is a good player for 60 minutes I don't think that's good enough when we've not got the back up we need. Chris has got his work cut out to get the balance right with no money. :keepie:
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

arcadia wrote:[ Benyon could have done the wide job as he used to play there and Ajala was kept on the left because Cruise can't cope on his own and Ajala's pace gets him back but he was burnt out the last half hour. I don't think Chris knew what to do but once we scored the equaliser he'd already decided to make the changes and they went a head with them after we had scored. :keepie:

There is not another player that can do the job that Briscoe does that's why he was left on the pitch.
Makes sense Arcadia. On the basis of absence makes the heart grow fonder, would you think Harding could step in to replace Louis Briscoe in the last 20 minutes or so ? Not the same sort of player I know, but maybe could beef up the midfield a tad ? He's supposed to be fit again so I'm a bit surprised he's not even on the bench. In the FGR and Gateshead games, it was definitely in midfield where we were being overrun in the last 20 minutes in both games.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I maybe wrong but I think that Harding is injured again - I know this is quite implausable as he hasn't played any matches - the bloke seems to be permanently crocked.
I don't actually think Briscoe is the answer up front mainly because he will come up with a moment or two of brilliance but once he blows up after about 55 minutes or so then the centre halves have an easy time.
I would still play O'Archie up front with Bowman - he is not the footballer that Briscoe is but he is harder to play against because he is quicker and stronger.
Personally I would put Briscoe in Camerons place.
Hargreaves has to be realistic Briscoe just isn't going to last 3 games in seven days in any case.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

tomogull wrote: Makes sense Arcadia. On the basis of absence makes the heart grow fonder, would you think Harding could step in to replace Louis Briscoe in the last 20 minutes or so ? Not the same sort of player I know, but maybe could beef up the midfield a tad ? He's supposed to be fit again so I'm a bit surprised he's not even on the bench. In the FGR and Gateshead games, it was definitely in midfield where we were being overrun in the last 20 minutes in both games.
In the situation we were in on Saturday he could sit in front of the back four and make it more solid
so long as he is told his job. This of coarse if we had a lead with twenty mins. to go. Reading Brucies post
it leaves the midfield weak and I feel it's hit and miss. I've always held on to what I've got when managing
and not go gung ho hoping we get another goal. It's choices and why we are discussing it now. You people are making me feel involved and I have enjoyed giving an opinion. :keepie:
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

brucie wrote:I maybe wrong but I think that Harding is injured again - I know this is quite implausable as he hasn't played any matches - the bloke seems to be permanently crocked.
I don't actually think Briscoe is the answer up front mainly because he will come up with a moment or two of brilliance but once he blows up after about 55 minutes or so then the centre halves have an easy time.
I would still play O'Archie up front with Bowman - he is not the footballer that Briscoe is but he is harder to play against because he is quicker and stronger.
Personally I would put Briscoe in Camerons place.
Hargreaves has to be realistic Briscoe just isn't going to last 3 games in seven days in any case.
After the way he ended last season, have to say in the few games i've seen Cameron has been probably the biggest disappointment so far this year. I was hoping for at least a 10 goal season and for him to be one of the stars of the league, that has sadly not been the case at all so far.